Things/Behaviors You Don't See Anymore

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Things/Behaviors You Don't See Anymore

Postby Elvis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:17 am

KUAN » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:31 pm wrote:just as well i hear you cry. coming next; the 80's

Those pants are rad.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby norton ash » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:50 pm

I had a couch-surfing transient friend who made out like a bandit in the late 80's/early 90's ripping off the Columbia Record Club by making up fake names and info and using friends' apartment addresses to get the free introductory 10 discs... the demands from Columbia would keep coming to the apartments, but they could do nothing because the 'club member' didn't exist and neither did the phone numbers the dude gave Columbia. I think he scammed about 50 CD's that way.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby brekin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:13 pm

norton ash wrote:I had a couch-surfing transient friend who made out like a bandit in the late 80's/early 90's ripping off the Columbia Record Club by making up fake names and info and using friends' apartment addresses to get the free introductory 10 discs... the demands from Columbia would keep coming to the apartments, but they could do nothing because the 'club member' didn't exist and neither did the phone numbers the dude gave Columbia. I think he scammed about 50 CD's that way.

You should read the Mental Floss article a page back. Your friend was underachieving in his CD mail banditry. Which probably fits his small footprint m.o.

Did anyone really, really take advantage of those introductory offers?
Joseph Parvin of Lawrenceville, NJ, was undoubtedly the patron saint of anyone who ever wanted to stick it to a music club for receiving an unwanted record.
In March 2000, the 60-year-old Parvin admitted that he had used 16 post office boxes and his own home address to fleece Columbia House and BMG out of 26,554 discs during a five-year span in the '90s. He pleaded guilty to a single count of mail fraud.
Oddly, the New York Times story on Parvin’s plea included a story of another scammer who was nearly as prolific. Just five months earlier, David Russo pleaded guilty to stockpiling 22,000 CDs using a similar scheme. He then sold the booty at flea markets.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby gnosticheresy_2 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:21 pm

lucky » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:16 am wrote:In the UK up to about 1980's we had x3 TV channels then x4 in 82 and around the same time all the channels shut down about midnight and the BBC use to play the national anthem.

In offices now, nearly everyone works with a PC what did they all do pre-computer age?.

IN the 70's it was quite normal for starters at a restaurant to include a small glass of bottled fruit juice.

TV used to shut down in the afternoon in 70s. Test card + the the BeeGees for a few hours :thumbsup
gnosticheresy_2

Postby Searcher08 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:45 pm

gnosticheresy_2 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:21 pm wrote:
lucky » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:16 am wrote:In the UK up to about 1980's we had x3 TV channels then x4 in 82 and around the same time all the channels shut down about midnight and the BBC use to play the national anthem.

In offices now, nearly everyone works with a PC what did they all do pre-computer age?.

IN the 70's it was quite normal for starters at a restaurant to include a small glass of bottled fruit juice.

TV used to shut down in the afternoon in 70s. Test card + the the BeeGees for a few hours :thumbsup

We had mainframe terminals, Lucky :)
Phwoarrrr!

gnosticheresy_2 - I lol-ed at the 50s version :)
Searcher08

Postby Nordic » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:43 pm

Nobody seems to say "at this juncture" anymore.

Which is a good thing. I always hated that.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby 8bitagent » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:18 am

Honestly, people want to disagree, but I don't think society as a whole is as happy now in the social media/iphone matrix as they were before.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:29 am

I used to get so bored so easily though…and my ennui was mixed up in this thirst for knowledge that books, zines, and films couldn't sate.

I haven't felt boredom in years. I don't think there was any redeeming quality to it, as some would ask if we were more pensive or introspective. I still spend the same amount of time in my head, so no, that's not it.

That's just one positive change for me personally. The jury's still out on whether it's a net good or bad change. Most signifiers indicate that global culture is progressing.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Elvis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:47 pm

This is more like something you never saw and won't see, but appropriately retro. They were promising flying cars by 2000, but this was the conception of a 2004 home computer?:

My question is: what's with the steering wheel?? :?:

Also, you're gonna get neck strain with that monitor placement.

Vacuum tubes still hold sway in some applications, mainly guitar amps and some high-end hi-fi gear. But how things have changed since Steven Spielberg shat out the first integrated circuit.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby semper occultus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:16 pm

...well clearly computing is an activity done standing up - not entirely unlike steering the Titanic...an imaginative fail by Rand though I have to say....the future actually looked look this...and may very well still do so....

semper occultus

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:20 pm

Jeeze, Elvis, I thought you would have found it obvious, but only because there are two steering wheels, one for the X axis and one for the Y axis! In other words, it was the conceptual mouse!
Iamwhomiam

Postby 82_28 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:10 pm

semper occultus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:16 pm wrote:...well clearly computing is an activity done standing up - not entirely unlike steering the Titanic...an imaginative fail by Rand though I have to say....the future actually looked look this...and may very well still do so....

I will say I would love both of those sweaters in that pic. I am a huge fan of turtle necks. You can't find yellow turtle necks any more. Believe me I have tried. They used to have all manner of colors.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Elvis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Iamwhomiam » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:20 pm wrote:Jeeze, Elvis, I thought you would have found it obvious, but only because there are two steering wheels, one for the X axis and one for the Y axis! In other words, it was the conceptual mouse!

Brilliant! :jumping:
Elvis

Postby Cordelia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:35 pm

norton ash » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:14 pm wrote:^^^ This. The 'so' beginning to a statement ... interviewers and interviewees, very noticeable, and I have friends who concur that it really is a new thing.

Also, noticing an increasing trend of beginning answers with "Sure", "Absolutely" and "Sure, so.....". :wallhead:

"Things/Behaviors You Don't See Anymore"

When lisps and/or Valley Girl up-speak weren't vocal advantages for radio/t.v. reporters, personalities and performers.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby 0_0 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:07 pm

People never seem to say "hey, you look great" anymore.
playmobil of the gods
0_0

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion