The Liberals Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Liberals Thread

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:51 pm

MacCruiskeen » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:26 pm wrote:'#liberals

Having shut down the centre of Austerity Athens for 42 hours, the #liberal US president Obama is now shutting down the centre of Berlin for the same length of time. Airspace is locked down, armed cops are everywhere (at least 5,000 of them on duty), masked police snipers are posted on roofs, public transport is heavily disrupted and partially shut down, a large area of the city centre is barred off to the public, passport controls are in operation for residents within a wide radius of his hotel - and of course Mr Hopey Changey will make no public appearances at all. Anyone might think Europeans are getting a bit tired of robotic admen mouthing dead platitudes & #liberal-sounding bromides and expecting adulation for their amazing "eloquence".

It will not be the least of Trump's services to Empire if, by January at the latest, airheads everywhere are mourning Obama's presidency as a lost #liberal Golden Age and "Hillary" as a #liberal martyr.

But the benefits of American #Liberalism are not wholly self-evident to all Europeans. Let's wait and see whether nuclear war with Russia has in fact been averted by January and whether TTIP will actually be abandoned. Those would be real changes worth hoping for.

TPP's down.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38721056

Seems likely the collapse of TTIP will follow soon.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Sài Gòn Séamus ‏@SaiGonSeamus · 3 hours ago

1/ Can we agree that a state run by Donald Trump should not engage in “Regime Change”? Can liberals agree to that low bar?

2/ That nobody should support any American deep-state funded cyber enterprise & should publicly renounce those that do, Agreed? Too harsh?

3/ I mean, your self-congratulatory march was fabulous but have you one concrete thing planned to stop the drones? Anything at all? Any plans?

Gracchus Babeuf ‏@GBabeuf · 2 hours ago

SNL.

https://twitter.com/SaiGonSeamus/status ... 1997115392
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:30 pm

Monica Lewinski pays tribute to Obama:

She sings like that guy from Riverdance, flatley.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby brekin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:40 pm

MacCruiskeen » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:30 pm wrote:Monica Lewinski pays tribute to Obama:

She sings like that guy from Riverdance, flatley.

You are joking, right? That is a SNL cast member, not Monica Lewinsky.
Maybe you were trying to be funny?
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:04 pm

That's Monica. Are you just going to deny it, Flatley?

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby brekin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:19 pm

MacCruiskeen » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:04 pm wrote:That's Monica. Are you just going to deny it, Flatley?

That is Cecily Strong and Sasheer Zamata paying tribute to President Obama.
Cecily Strong is a SNL cast member.
Maybe she has played Monica before but that isn't her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecily_Strong

Here's a video of it not on someones creep cam recording of their television:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... 7937?snl=1

Is this a cry for help?
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:33 pm

brekin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:19 pm wrote:

Is this a cry for help?

If so, I hope it will not echo unheard. Maybe you should try all-caps.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby brekin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:49 pm

MacCruiskeen wrote:
brekin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:19 pm wrote:...
Is this a cry for help?

No worries, we are here for you, in a limited, virtual sort of way.
Later on we are going to have go through some pictures of people together though.
Not quite sure the people you think are doing things are really those people.
Don't look at this as a formal post review, more of a friendly check up.
brekin

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:57 pm

I'll pray for him in the Wexford Co. Wexford Franciscan Friary that my great grandparents were married in 1846 the next time I visit ..

yea it's still there Mac

:P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpY8KM4 ... freload=10
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:13 am

brekin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:49 pm wrote:
MacCruiskeen wrote:
brekin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:19 pm wrote:...
Is this a cry for help?

No worries, we are here for you, in a limited, virtual sort of way.
Later on we are going to have go through some pictures of people together though.
Not quite sure the people you think are doing things are really those people.
Don't look at this as a formal post review, more of a friendly check up.

Leave Monica alone, goddammit. She is not the only American here who is tone-deaf. It's a nationwide pandemic.

My ears are bleeding. I need to hear something tuneful by comparison.

(Do Liberals Drive You Too To Despair? Try listening to the Portsmouth Sinfonia. They always restore my faith in human nature.)

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Morty » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:46 am

I invented ‘virtue signalling’. Now it’s taking over the world

It’s a true privilege to have coined a phrase – even if people credit it to Libby Purves instead

James Bartholomew
10 October 2015

To my astonishment and delight, the phrase ‘virtue signalling’ has become part of the English language. I coined the phrase in an article here in The Spectator (18 April) in which I described the way in which many people say or write things to indicate that they are virtuous. Sometimes it is quite subtle. By saying that they hate the Daily Mail or Ukip, they are really telling you that they are admirably non-racist, left-wing or open-minded. One of the crucial aspects of virtue signalling is that it does not require actually doing anything virtuous. It does not involve delivering lunches to elderly neighbours or staying together with a spouse for the sake of the children. It takes no effort or sacrifice at all.

Since April, I have watched with pleasure and then incredulity how the phrase has leapt from appearing in a single article into the everyday language of political discourse. One of the first journalists to pick up on the phrase was Liz Jones in the Mail on Sunday on 3 May. Not long after, Libby Purves used it in the Times (11 May). Janan Ganesh in the Financial Times (20 July) wrote about Labour party leaders for whom ‘Europeanism is just a virtue-signalling gesture like wearing a charity ribbon’. Two days later, Helen Lewis used it in the New Statesman, saying ‘a lot of what happens on Facebook, as with Twitter, is “virtue signalling” — showing off how right on you are’.

This month, use of the phrase has gone through the roof, appearing in newspapers almost on a daily basis. It has been deployed by Nick Cohen in a Spectator blog, Antonia Hoyle in Stella magazine, James Delingpole on Breitbart, Catriona Stewart in the Glasgow Herald, Memphis Barker in the Independent and Allister Heath in the Daily Telegraph.

Nicky Campbell, the best-known presenter on Radio 5 Live, tweeted to his 102,000 followers (13 September), ‘There is much virtue signalling going on at the moment.’ A search on the Guardian website reveals that contributors there have used it 241 times. Good grief, it has even appeared in West Ham Online.

The migration crisis gave the concept a boost. One person on Twitter wrote, ‘There must be a special level in hell below rapists and killers for anyone that uses twitter & a migrant crisis to #virtuesignal.’

I bumped into Dominic Lawson, former editor of The Spectator, who remarked that my life is now complete: I have added to the English language and can retire from the scene, perfectly satisfied. I have reluctantly given up hopes of ever appearing on Desert Island Discs — a pity considering I have been preparing for it for some 35 years — but at least I can comfort myself that I have coined a phrase. I thus join, admittedly at a low level, the ranks of word-creators such as William Shakespeare (‘uncomfortable’ and ‘assassination’ and many others) and Thomas Carlyle (‘dry as dust’ and, most famously, ‘environment’).

I guess the reason that ‘virtue signalling’ has been used so much is that it fulfils a need. For years, people have noticed the phenomenon but did not have a word or phrase to describe it. One person tweeted, ‘Love it when you find out something that’s irritated you for years has a name #virtuesignalling.’ The lack of a phrase obstructed open discussion of what was going on. Newspeak, the fictional language created by George Orwell in his novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, limited the number of words people used with the intention of restricting the ability of people to express themselves and even to think. New phrases and words are the opposite of Newspeak. They make expression and argument easier.

It is slightly frustrating that some people have credited Libby Purves with creating the phrase. Unlike Liz Jones, she did not mention where it came from. But I forgive her. I am a fan of hers and the way she presents Midweek on Radio 4. We were contemporaries at Oxford and I’ll never forget seeing her walking in front of me wearing hot pants. That sort of thing creates a special bond.

It has been a pleasure to see the phrase used in all sorts of contexts from environmental policy to dating. One person on Twitter claimed people were using virtue signalling ‘to get laid’. Another wrote, ‘If you find yourself using corn chips to signal your virtue, you’re trying too hard.’

The phrase came to me after years of trying to come up with the something. Researching my previous book, The Welfare State We’re In, I came to realise that the Victorians and Edwardians gave vastly more money to charity than people do now. It was normal even for the working and artisan classes to give as much as 10 per cent of their income. That compares with donations of less than 1 per cent for the general population now. Among many other things, they gave money to help charitable hospitals through the King’s Fund in Saturday workplace collections. They also took it as normal to look after their aged parents and other relatives.

I compared them with people I met who thought they were virtuous merely because they voted Labour once every five years and expressed hatred of right-wingers. That is not virtue. That is lazy, self-righteous and silly.

James Bartholomew is the author, most recently, of The Welfare of Nations.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/i-in ... the-world/
Morty

Postby Elvis » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:52 pm

“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Rory » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:57 pm

IMG_20170227_200917.jpg
I keep seeing these trial Balloon articles about faildaughter and her positions on this and that. The team behind her are no joke - I mean, she's achieved nothing of note in her life whatsoever and yet she's been mentioned as at least a serious US Senate seat contender. Pass the cyanide indeed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory

Postby Rory » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:28 am

https://itsgoingdown.org/will-the-real- ... -explodes/

The RUSSIA hysteria is destroying some people, impairing their ability to see the forest for the trees. Trump and his ilk can't have asked for a better results than the dems imploding on their Shillary hubris then going full McCarthy retard. Liberals are a danger

many have missed one glaring fact: the Democrats are even more unpopular than Trump is.

As Shaun King wrote:

A troubling new poll was just released showing that the Democratic Party is significantly less popular than both Donald Trump and Mike Pence. In other words, the Democratic Party has a favorability rating 11 points lower than Pence, nine points lower than Trump, and even one point lower than the GOP. Their unfavorable rating is 17 points worse than Pence, five points worse than Trump, and four points worse than the GOP. This is a disaster. At a time when Donald Trump is the least liked President ever measured at this point in his first term, the Democratic Party has found a way to be even less liked than him.

The cause for this mass rejection of neoliberalism and the Democratic Party should be clear, as George Ciccariello-Maher wrote:

How did we get here? The debates are seemingly interminable and inevitably self-serving. The Democratic Party proclaims itself a part of #TheResistance while refusing to recognize its own role as primary cause. Wars in Syria, Libya and beyond, a coup in Honduras, decades of mass incarceration, neoliberal free trade, offshoring, factory closures, and even a border wall pioneered by Bill Clinton himself all testify to the fact that the effects of the Trump election are also its most potent causes. And so the Democrats play ostrich, celebrating the “deep state” and bathing themselves in crass Russophobia, while the word “resistance” rots in their mouths.
Rory

Postby norton ash » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:56 pm

The RUSSIA hysteria is destroying some people, impairing their ability to see the forest for the trees. Trump and his ilk can't have asked for a better results than the dems imploding on their Shillary hubris then going full McCarthy retard. Liberals are a danger

Hi grandpa, nice to see you on Facebook.
Zen horse
norton ash

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion