Colossal 3,000-Year-Old Statue Discovered Under Cairo Slum

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Colossal 3,000-Year-Old Statue Discovered Under Cairo Slum

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:19 pm

A Colossal 3,000-Year-Old Statue Was Just Discovered Under a Slum in Cairo
Experts are already calling the bust of Ramses II one of the greatest finds of all time.

MAR 9, 2017
Archaeologists have found a massive 3,000-year-old statue buried under a slum in Cairo, Egypt, which they believe depicts the ancient Egyptian Pharaoh Ramses II. The find, which Reuters reports is already being hailed as one of the most important ever, took place Tuesday near the ruins of the temple to Ramses in the eastern part of the city.

Also known as Ramses the Great, the subject of the 26-foot statue is widely considered the most celebrated ruler of ancient Egypt. In his reign from 1279 to 1213 B.C., he greatly expanded the size of the Egyptian empire and became known to later generations as the Great Ancestor.
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/ne ... iro-egypt/
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: Colossal 3,000-Year-Old Statue Discovered Under Cairo Sl

Postby Elvis » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:40 pm

That is mass cool.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 pm

I wager that you are correct about more under Cairo.

There has been much found in later years under water in Egypt.

I have thoughts that there may be much hidden under the sands of the Egyptian desert which once had fair weather.

Seems there are many severe deserts near to many past stone civilizations (China, South America, India, Africa).
PufPuf93

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:01 am

Funny that you've mentioned a potential for discovering underwater finds, PufPuf. I thought about editing my post to add that I spend a lot a lot of time exploring the coastal waters of the Mediterranean using Google Earth. It's really amazing how vast the underwater ruins are, with roads connecting communities qite distant. Scoot around Alexandria and yo will find what they're calling Heracleion. I don't believe the ruins I saw off Alexandria was Heracleion; I feel they're too far offshore to be this lost city.

The point being, they're around nearly every island and along most shorelines The problem with that is the last time the ruins were above water was more than 13,000 years ago.

Just yesterday I was watching what must have been an old documentary about the discovery of the oldest Mayan city ever found. Whether that remains true today, I have no idea, but it was an early, perhaps the first use of satellite-based radar used to locate an archaeological site. It mentioned the military's discovery that radar could penetrate five to ten meters below the sands to 'see' whatever might be there. They revealed ancient rivers and followed them to discover many sites. Sky Archaeology is the title, but it's really of poor viewing quality and it's dated. This was all long before LIDAR was developed when the technology was less refined.
Iamwhomiam

Postby dada » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:38 pm

All the dead kings came to me
At Rosnaree, where I was dreaming.
A few stars glimmered through the morn,
And down the thorn the dews were streaming.

And every dead king had a story
Of ancient glory, sweetly told.
It was too early for the lark,
But the starry dark had tints of gold.

I listened to the sorrows three
Of that Eire passed into song.
A cock crowed near a hazel croft,
And up aloft dim larks winged strong.

And I, too, told the kings a story
Of later glory, her fourth sorrow:
There was a sound like moving shields
In high green fields and the lowland furrow.

And one said : ' We who yet are kings
Have heard these things lamenting inly.'
Sweet music flowed from many a bill
And on the hill the morn stood queenly.

And one said : ' Over is the singing,
And bell bough ringing, whence we come ;
With heavy hearts we'll tread the shadows,
In honey meadows birds are dumb.'

And one said : ' Since the poets perished
And all they cherished in the way,
Their thoughts unsung, like petal showers
Inflame the hours of blue and gray.'

And one said : ' A loud tramp of men
We'll hear again at Rosnaree.'
A bomb burst near me where I lay.
I woke, 'twas day in Picardy.

Francis Ledwidge

Here, you can listen to a robot recite it:

https://video.poemhunter.com/i/poem_sounds/846/the-dead-kings.mp4
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Ozymandias

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: “Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
‘My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Percy Bysshe Shelley, 1792 - 1822
Iamwhomiam

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:55 pm

Iamwhomiam » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:50 am wrote:Ozymandias

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: “Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
‘My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Percy Bysshe Shelley, 1792 - 1822

Nice. I love this stuff.
PufPuf93

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:05 pm

:thumbsup
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:20 pm

Recently unearthed Egyptian colossus not Ramses II
3/16/2017 06:00:00 PM

A massive statue recently unearthed in Cairo and thought to depict one of the country's most famous pharaohs may be of another ancient Egyptian ruler, the country's antiquities minister said Thursday.

Egyptian Antiquities Minister Khaled el-Anani, second left, talks near a stone part of the statue of King Psamtek l after a press conference at the Egyptian museum in Cairo, Thursday, March 16, 2017 [Credit: AP/Nariman El-Mofty]

Khaled el-Anani said the colossus discovered last week in a Cairo suburb by an Egyptian-German team almost certainly depicts Psamtek I, a little known pharaoh from the 26th dynasty who ruled Egypt between 664 and 610 B.C.

"We are not going to be categorical, but there is a strong possibility that it's of Psamtek I," el-Anani told reporters in the front yard of the famed Egyptian museum in the heart of Cairo.

Sitting just meters (yards) away were parts of the statue, including the torso and a partial head, which were ferried across the city before dawn on Thursday. The statue was thought to be of Ramses II, who ruled Egypt more than 3,000 years ago.

"There is a possibility, albeit small, that Psamtek I reused an older statue that may be of Ramses II," el-Anani said.

People gather around stone parts of the statue of King Psamtek l after a press conference at the Egyptian museum in Cairo, Thursday, March 16, 2017
[Credit: AP/Nariman El-Mofty]

Psamtek I, credited for bringing stability to Egypt after years of turmoil, ruled some 600 years after Ramses II and sat on Egypt's throne for about 50 years. Ramses II, also known as Ramses the Great, ruled for around 60 years.

The discovery of the quartzite statue has offered a piece of welcome news at a time when most of Egypt's 92 million people are struggling to make ends meet amid an economic crisis. The tourism industry has yet to recover from the years of unrest following the 2011 uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak.

Egyptian officials appeared keen to bring international attention to the find.

The press conference called to clarify the statue's identity was held at the Egyptian museum, which houses the world's largest collection of pharaonic artifacts, and was attended by senior government officials and diplomats.

Men gather around a stone part of the statue of King Psamtek l after a press conference at the Egyptian museum in Cairo, Thursday, March 16, 2017

El-Anani allowed the anticipation to build, delivering his remarks after four archaeologists and restoration experts spoke.

He said the size of the statue - with an estimated height of some 9 meters (26 feet) and a weight of seven tons - was typical of Ramses II's era, but that hieroglyphs discovered at the statue's back-pillar after it was unearthed showed that it was of Psamtek I.

"We will not be 100 percent certain that it is of Psamtek I, but give us days, weeks or months and we will be certain," he said.

For now, said the Egyptian museum's chief of restoration, Moamen Othman, the challenge is to prepare the statue to survive in an environment different from the one in which it was submerged: Water and mud.

People gather around part of a statue, the head of King Psamtek 1, after a press conference at the Egyptian museum in Cairo, Thursday, March 16, 2017

"It's important that we study the process of environmental adjustment for the statue. It will take three months to do."

The statue will eventually be displayed at the yet-to-open Grand Egyptian Museum near the Giza Pyramids.

Author: Hamza Hendawi | Source: The Associated Press [March 16, 2017]

https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2017/03/recently-unearthed-egyptian-colossus.html#QcZxu5UzRYH3OBxE.97
Iamwhomiam

Postby dada » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Psamtek I, credited for bringing stability to Egypt after years of turmoil, ruled some 600 years after Ramses II and sat on Egypt's throne for about 50 years.

I bet his mummy was proud.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:03 pm

^^^ When asked her opinion of her son, Psamtek I, she went mum and remained unresponsive, unnamed sources say.
Iamwhomiam

Return to General Discussion