Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Animal Uprising Thread

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:33 am

Ringling Bros Circus will be no more.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:00 am

"Crazy". I've never been to the circus. While I more than deplore the subjugation of anything, it will be sort of sad to see the history of it go away. So many good metaphors, analogies and insults have come from "the circus".
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Cordelia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:03 pm

82_28 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:00 am wrote:"Crazy". I've never been to the circus. While I more than deplore the subjugation of anything, it will be sort of sad to see the history of it go away. So many good metaphors, analogies and insults have come from "the circus".

I agree; many of the images, too, are iconic.

My family went to a Ringling show when I was very young. I was really excited until a beautiful white horse in the ring in front of us suddenly collapsed and died. We were later told it had a heart attack but I didn't know what that meant and thought it had been 'attacked'. As an adult, I've been present when horses breathed their last and buckled; it's always been deeply affecting & poignant, like witnessing a large & magnificent ship suddenly sink. Wonder now how much I re-lived that early circus experience.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:39 pm

It was the only way they could go, considering all the decades of complaints.

I haven't been to a circus since my kids were tiny. I'd take them to the free annual Shriner's Circus, held in a local armory. The last I remember going to we sat on bleachers with the animals in their cages lined up directly below us. Peeeww! Such small cages! It was Summer and hot. Poor things!

Never again.

I must have gone to a few because I do remember seeing the Flying Wallendas and the Human Cannonball, as well as the animal acts and of course, the eeweiest of all, the clowans.

That's the real reason you know, that the circus is shutting down, and it's a conspiracy most nefarious, too. The best way to exterminate a dying breed is to obliterate its native habitat.

Really, it was the only way to finally be rid of that nest Clowans.

One or two might get loose, so keep your eyes open.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Cordelia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:21 pm

I wonder what will happen to the Ringling animal population. There are sanctuaries for retired and rescued show animals...

Life Among the Elephants (and Bears, and Wolves, and Lions)

Inside a California sanctuary for retired performance animals and rescued illegal pets
http://www.theatlantic.com/science/arch ... ns/433968/

...hope they're not sold to private zoos. Remember the 2011Ohio zoo escape, :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskingum ... nimal_Farm

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:21 am

Well, sometime in the past two years they stopped their elephant show and all were sent to a similar preserve in Florida. Yeah, it would really suck if they wound up in zoos or smaller circuses, so I hope they all get to retire to such a preserve as well.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Cordelia » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:05 pm

^^^
Several sanctuaries around the country are offering to give homes to Ringling animals; here's one:

Director of Keenesburg Wild Animal Sanctuary says it may be home to some Ringling Bros. circus animals after closure

KEENESBURG — It’s the day animal rights activists have waited years for, and a sad day for others who grew up going to the circus.

Ringling Brothers announced it is shutting down its long-running circus, after 146 years.

There are still around 30 performances between now and the last show in May of 2017.

After that the question is, what happens to the animals?

“They were trained to perform for treats and other things — so the idea of working for their worth — and they get rewarded. For us to unwind all that, and teach them that they don’t have to work for food, they can just enjoy life.— Pat Craig, director of the Wild Animal Sanctuary

The Wild Animal Sanctuary in Keenesburg has taken in circus animals, including some from Ringling Brothers, in the past.

Executive Director Pat Craig says the transition from a life on the road and in cages, to one of wide open spaces can take some time.

“They were trained to perform for treats and other things — so the idea of working for their worth – and they get rewarded. For us to unwind all that, and teach them that they don’t have to work for food, they can just enjoy life,” Craig told Tribune media partner Denver7.

Craig said the USDA normally works with sanctuaries to decide where the animals will go. The circus has pledged to find all the animals homes.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/news/loca ... r-closure/

Meanwhile, back on topic:

Cordelia

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:16 am

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... d-4460482/

A suspected poacher was trampled to death and another seriously injured in an attack by wild elephants at a forest near Thattekkad bird sanctuary where a four member gang allegedly ventured for poaching, forest officials said in Kochi on Thursday. They said the gang entered the forest, some 65 km from here at about 9 pm last night for poaching and did not notice the pachyderms standing in their path and got trapped in front of it.

“One of the gang members, Tony (26) was crushed to death by an elephant. In the melee, a loaded unlicenced local gun he was carrying also accidently went off, hitting his thigh” they said. Basil, 30, who was injured, was admitted in a private hospital in Aluva,where his condition is stated to be serious. The incident came to light as two others–Sajith and Anish–informed the matter to their friends and relatives.

Both of them are absconding, officials said. Forest officials said a case has been registered against the gang under relevant sections of the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972. Weapons and other equipment used for hunting were recovered from the spot, they said.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/55640/7- ... ibly-smart

1. THEY CAN IDENTIFY LANGUAGES.

Researchers at the University of Sussex in Brighton, UK have discovered that African elephants can distinguish differences in human gender, age, and ethnicity purely by the sound of someone’s voice. If the voice belongs to a person who is more likely to pose a threat, the elephants switch into defensive mode.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby norton ash » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:45 am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movi ... /96736184/

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has called for a boycott of the family film A Dog's Purpose, after video surfaced Wednesday that appears to show one of the movie's star dogs performing under duress.

TMZ posted the video with the headline "Terrified German Shepherd forced into turbulent water." The video, which TMZ says was shot on the set in 2015, purports to show a rescue scene in which the trainer looks to be forcing the dog into a pool of rushing water, as the dog repeatedly claws to stay on land.

The edited video then shows what appears to be the same German Shepherd sinking in the pool as one crew member yells "Cut it!" and others rush over to help the animal.

The dog-torture sequence was shot in Winnipeg, so it's all over Canadian news... Amblin Entertainment really blew it. A movie for dog-people that no dog-person is going to go see now. Assholes.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Perelandra » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:23 pm

^Word.

“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:46 pm

Mauled cop was riding mountain bike at full speed when he hit grizzly

An investigation into the June mauling death of a Forest Service cop in Montana has determined that the officer was riding a mountain bike at a high rate of speed when he crashed into a grizzly bear.

Brad Treat, 38, was descending the "Outer Trail" of the Green Gate Trails in the Flathead National Forest between 1:30 and 2 p.m. June 29 when he rounded a blind curve and collided with the grizzly, according to a Board of Review Report.

The board released its findings into the incident this week and made safety recommendations, the Great Falls (Mont.) Tribune reported.

Treat was traveling at an estimated 20-25 mph when the accident occurred. There were no tire skids or evasive steering that would indicate that he immediately saw the bear. He hit the animal at full-speed and flew over the handlebars, fracturing his wrists and his left shoulder blade when he tried to break his fall.

When Treat's companion, who was not identified, came upon the scene, the "very big, brownish-black" bear with "bristled up" fur was standing over Trent. The fellow rider reported that he had heard the bear cry out, making a sound "like it was hurt."

The companion froze, not knowing what to do. Neither man was carrying bear spray, a firearm or a cellphone.

Somer Treat is presented with a U.S. flag during a memorial service for her husband, U.S. Forest Service Officer Brad Treat, on Thursday, July 7, 2016, in Kalispell, Mont. Brad Treat was killed last week by a bear while mountain biking near Glacier National Park. (Greg Lindstrom/Flathead Beacon via AP)

By this time the bear was "intent and focused" on attacking Treat and either ignored or did not notice the other man.

According to the board report, the companion left to seek help because he did not feel comfortable trying to get the bear off Trent.

The companion carried his bike through the forest to reach a highway about a mile away and then flagged down a vehicle.

Treat was dead by the time responders arrived. His helmet was reportedly bitten to pieces, but no part of his body was eaten by the bear, indicating that the encounter probably was not a predatory attack.

DNA testing of the bear's hair showed that the grizzly was a 18- to 20-year-old male who weighed about 370 pounds when he was captured during a research project at Glacier National Park in 2006. He had no history of aggression toward humans.

Treat's death was the first bear-related mountain bike death in Montana.

Mountain bikers are much more likely than hikes to encounter bears on trails because they move much faster. Because they can't hear the cyclists coming,
The Board of Review made the following recommendations for mountain biking in bear country:

Stay vigilant
Slow down
Carry bear spray
Make noise
Don't ride alone
Never ride at dusk, dawn or night
Don't think "it won't happen to me"
Remember bears live there and you are just a visitor.

Source: USA Today
PufPuf93

Postby 82_28 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:25 am

Humpback whales are organizing in huge numbers, and no one knows why

The world is ending and only the whales know. At least, that’s one explanation. Humpback whales are normally pretty solitary—scientists used to call groups of 10 to 20 “large.” Now they’re congregating in groups of 20 to 200 off the coast of South Africa. Something is definitely going on here, but so far experts are stumped.

The rest here:

http://www.popsci.com/humpback-whales-are-organizing

Dunno if it counts as to the OP or more distress. Anyway, interesting. I guess. . .
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Cordelia » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Also not sure if this clip of an entrée called "katsu ika odori-don" belongs here, but my revenge fantasy for the squid is to liberally pour soy sauce over servers and diners of such:

"Once the squid is beheaded it’s technically dead, but when you pour soy sauce over it, it magically “comes back to life” for its final dance before you ingest it, because it’s that fresh. The sodium in the soy sauce causes a reaction in the muscles, similar to your fifth grade science experiment with the dead frog on how its muscles can still move after death. The result is this freakish concoction. Again: yes, people actually eat this."

https://izanau.com/article/odori-don

Warning: Viewer Beware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfb6mKGPALU

Cordelia

Postby 82_28 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Damn. That's creepy!
82_28

Postby dada » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:20 pm

Too much soy sauce overwhelms the taste of squid.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion