Terror in France and the presidential election

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Terror in France and the presidential election

Postby stefano » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:11 am

Mostly tabloids and Infowars reporting on this

DEADLY KNIFE RAMPAGE Knifeman ‘slits the throats of his father and brother on busy Paris street in broad daylight’

A MAN cut the throat of his own father and brother in broad daylight on a busy Paris street, it is reported.

Both victims died at the scene despite paramedics’ efforts to save them this morning.

One witness told Le Parisien: “I went down. I saw a body in the hall, a body in the yard and a third person sitting with the firemen and policemen around.

“There was blood everywhere.”

Armed police were pictured following the attack in the French capital’s Place de la Nation.

Horror as father and son have throats slit in Paris street killing

A FATHER and son have died after a knifeman slit their throats in a stabbing in Paris in broad daylight.

By Katie Mansfield
PUBLISHED: 12:13, Fri, Mar 17, 2017 | UPDATED: 13:45, Fri, Mar 17, 2017

Police sources say the men were discovered with their throats slit outside a building in the French capital’s 11th district.

Both men died at the scene as paramedics tried to save them.

Police sources say the men were discovered with their throats slit outside a building in the French capital’s 11th district.

Both men died at the scene as paramedics tried to save them.

The attack happened on Rue de Montreuil in the east of the French capital near Place de la Nation.

Police sources have called for caution on the motives of the knifeman.

Judicial police are leading the investigation.

Local media say the father was killed in the courtyard of the building.

The knifeman, said to be his son, is thought to have stabbed him in the stomach before slitting his throat.

Witnesses said the killer then sat by the body.

Police have set up a psychological unit on the ground floor for those affected by witnessing the killing.

Traffic was stopped in the area with firefighters and SWAT officers at the scene throughout Friday afternoon.

The attack comes amid high security in the city just hours before Prince William and his wife the Duchess of Cambridge visit to meet President Francois Hollande.

France remains under a state of emergency following a string of deadly terror attacks in the past 18 months.

The attack happened on Rue de Montreuil in the east of the French capital near Place de la Nation.

By some witness accounts he shouted 'Allahu akbar' in (or right after) the act, which the media are hesitant to relay. Don't think that's helpful.

Counterpoint: yesterday a white French lightie killed a classmate in Grasse. Coverage of that one's all about his psychological problems.

Edited the title because this thread might as well be broader in subject matter.
Last edited by stefano on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
stefano

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Knifeman slits father and brother's throats in Paris

Postby brekin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Sad.
Also sad was my almost immediate thought, "Why don't we have a "Public Knife Attacks Master thread" as this is basically common nowadays?".
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby elfismiles » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:47 pm

brekin » 17 Mar 2017 16:22 wrote:Sad.
Also sad was my almost immediate thought, "Why don't we have a "Public Knife Attacks Master thread" as this is basically common nowadays?".

We do / have since 2015...

Amok Over The Edge(d)-Weapon Violence Sprees
Post by elfismiles » 26 Oct 2015 22:31
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39246

Meanwhile, also in France...

France shooting: Student arrested after school attack
- CNN.com
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/16/europe/fr ... ng-grasse/
19 hours ago - (CNN)A 17-year-old student has been arrested after a shooting at a high school in Grasse, in southeastern France, authorities said Thursday. ... French policemen stand by the Alexis de Tocqueville high school in the French town of Grasse. ... The French education ministry tweeted that ...
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby brekin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:10 pm

elfismiles » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:47 am wrote:
brekin » 17 Mar 2017 16:22 wrote:Sad.

We do / have since 2015...
Amok Over The Edge(d)-Weapon Violence Sprees
Post by elfismiles » 26 Oct 2015 22:31
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39246

Meanwhile, also in France...

France shooting: Student arrested after school attack
- CNN.com
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/16/europe/fr ... ng-grasse/
19 hours ago - (CNN)A 17-year-old student has been arrested after a shooting at a high school in Grasse, in southeastern France, authorities said Thursday. ... French policemen stand by the Alexis de Tocqueville high school in the French town of Grasse. ... The French education ministry tweeted that ...

I applaud your thread consolidation acumen.
Am silent on your thread titling relevance and clarity.

Thread Proliferation and Relevant Titling
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39802
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Terror in France and the presidential election

Postby stefano » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:44 am

More madness in Paris, playing into Le Pen's narratives:

Orly airport: Man killed after seizing soldier's gun

A man has been shot dead after trying to seize a soldier's weapon at Orly airport in Paris, French officials say.

He was killed by the security forces in a shop after the attack in the airport's southern terminal.

The airport has been shut after what the authorities described as an extremely serious incident.

The man was on a watch-list of radicalised individuals and had been involved in a shooting hours earlier in the north of Paris, officials say.

The sequence of events

Early on Saturday morning the suspect was stopped at a checkpoint in northern Paris and fired at police with a pellet gun before escaping in a car that was later found abandoned in the southern suburbs.

He is then believed to have stolen another car that was found at Orly airport. The timing of the sequence of events fits, says the BBC's Hugh Schofield in Paris.

At the airport 90 minutes later the man approached a military patrol and tried to seize a weapon from one of the soldiers, French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said.

She managed to keep hold of the gun, and two other soldiers opened fire on the attacker, killing him.

His motivation is not yet known.

A security operation is continuing at the airport with bomb disposal experts involved and a search for any possible accomplices.

Police say the attacker was not carrying any explosives. No-one else was seriously hurt in either incident.

The soldiers were part of Operation Sentinel - involving thousands of soldiers deployed to provide back-up to the police after the Paris attacks of November 2015.

France has presidential elections starting from next month and remains under a state of emergency following earlier attacks.

Presidential candidate Emmanuel Macron paid tribute to "the calm, control and professionalism'' of troops who responded to the attack.

William and Kate Windsor are in Paris right at the moment:

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have met survivors of recent French terror attacks during a visit to the military hospital Les Invalides in Paris.

They also spoke to members of the emergency services who attended the Bataclan in 2015 and Nice last year.

The royal couple's official two-day visit to the French capital began on Friday.

They will later watch the Six Nations rugby match between France and Wales and visit the Musee d'Orsay.
stefano

Re: Terror in France and the presidential election

Postby stefano » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:54 am

On the subject of yesterday's double murder, neighbours told Le Figaro that the murderer had become radicalised, which his family didn't like, and speculated that that might have had something to do with the murder.
stefano

Return to General Discussion