27%
Data
9%
Other
9%

Total votes : 11

What should Data Dump be renamed?

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:40 pm

It's been a week and so far the majority of votes in the poll: Should RI have a breaking news forum and rename Data Dump? have been to rename Data Dump. I will wait until the poll concludes on May 2 before I take the results to Jeff and formally ask for changes to that forum. But since the request to change the name of the Data Dump forum is currently in the lead, here is a new poll to pick the name we want!

If there is a choice not listed that gets more than two members supporting it in the replies, I will try to edit the poll to include the new choice.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: What should Data Dump be renamed?

Postby Grizzly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:28 pm

RCMP Security Service? CSIS? Or something less innocuous likely, to keep it out of Alphabets data scrapping ?

:shrug:
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Grizzly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:28 pm wrote:RCMP Security Service? CSIS? Or something less innocuous likely, to keep it out of Alphabets data scrapping ?

:shrug:

What do acronyms stand for?
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Grizzly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Canadian Security Intelligence Service
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:19 pm

Grizzly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:04 pm wrote:Canadian Security Intelligence Service

Thanks, I wondered about that. I assume RCMP is Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby PufPuf93 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:30 pm

NSA Look Here! :coolshades
PufPuf93

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:53 am

I still like Data Dump.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Jerky » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Data Archive or Research Archive are good.

How about Research Library?
Jerky

Postby Cordelia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:17 pm

I once worked at a New Age-ish center where, to make almost any & all decisions or changes (including naming--re-naming policies, practices, inanimate objects, etc..), members sought communal guidance through group meditation.

Have the moderators conducted spiritual due diligence on this name change? :wink

mentalgongfu2 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:53 am wrote:I still like Data Dump.

Maybe there can be a Data Dump Dump.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:32 pm

Cordelia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:17 pm wrote: Have the moderators conducted spiritual due diligence on this name change? :wink

:oops: I might be disrupting RI's feng shui. :oops:
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:42 am

As stated, I am still a fan of "Data Dump."

But if a change must come, I propose "Information Archive."

However, "Research Archive" would be my choice from among those specifically listed in the poll, followed by "Investigative Research."

I don't think either is perfect. There is a lot of research in that sub-forum, and a lot of investigation, but there is also a fair amount of just posting information for posterity. Thus my preference.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Heaven Swan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:51 am

I like Investigative Research. It’s clear and has a nice ring to it. Data implies dry, boring numbers and dump, trash. And compiling information from other sources is a form of investigation.

Here is my 2 cents about the problems many have with American Dream and a proposed solution. I’ve tried to take a step back and look at the big picture:

Everyone, except those who hate AD’s political point of view, agrees that he contributes worthwhile material to the mix. The problem for many is his non-interactive posting style and habit of, instead of discussing and defending his point of view, overwhelming threads he disagrees with with endless CP, and his filling up of GD with his pet threads, to the point of it seeming like RI is his personal blog. He also appears to have lots of time on his hands, spending hours a day perhaps, seeking out and posting content.

And we might as well face it—he’s not going to change. He’s probably the same in IRL I’ve met plenty of people IRL who won’t answer direct questions and are rigid in their habits and POVs.

Therefore, we might as well accept it and manage it. This is a possible solution that could make everyone happy—

1) Data Dump becomes Investigative Research—a much more appealing destination.
2) AD’s ‘pet research project’ longstanding threads are moved there. He can still post and interact on GD threads of course.

It’s so simple and turns an annoyance into a benefit, even for him. Personally I often avoid his threads out of resentment for his posting styles, but when I do look into his avanche of reposts I’ve found some valuable stuff.

With the changes I propose, I could see myself coming to RI, reading what interested me in GD, then, seeing as I had a bit more time, checking out the Investigative Research and really appreciating what I found there. I’d be choosing to look at his (and other’s) research threads, not having them foisted on me.

I’m probably missing some great stuff AD posts because I’m annoyed at the way he does it. I actually found the Weinberg writings very interesting. No I didn’t agree with all of his views (and haven’t yet finished the articles). I don’t fully agree with the majority of things I read—after all, Weinberg is Weinberg and I’m me.

But what I liked about his writing was that he turned a critical eye towards some of the conspiracy writers and culture. I might not agree with Weinbergs’s conclusions but I think that it’s important that we do the same. The conspiracy narrative has been largely hijacked by manipulative, power-obsessed actors who are operating in a bad faith/disinfo paradigm, and RI is one of the few places with the potential to engage in much-needed dissecting and analysis of what’s going on.
"When IT reigns, I’m poor.” Mario
Heaven Swan

Postby American Dream » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:56 am

"Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it". I cite this truism of New Age thought in sober recognition of the reality that various opinions I hold do create sparks here. My strategy of adaptation has included posting mostly article, trying not to add any commentary and to emphasize focused threads which no one has to read if they don't want to. I think it's the best I can do, considering.

It seems that the reality that it's often the content (in an ideological sense)- not the question of it violating any R.I. agreements- which makes some people unhappy is very rarely mentioned. This is a key point and one that deserves far greater acknowledgment as I don't think it's fundamentally a question of obeying any particular rules, be they new or old. I think it's much more about my view of the world, that I see some confusions and conspiracies within the conspiracy world- where others may find some of the beliefs they are most deeply attached to.
American Dream

Postby Heaven Swan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:34 am

For me it’s not the content of AD’s posts—I like to read things I might not normally see, especially from differing political viewpoints. It’s the sheer volume and the communication style, like a passive-aggressive version of Alex Joneses bullhorn, that bothers me.

I agree though that are others here who attack both him and SLAD on account of their political leanings. IMO we need to aim for free speech in a calm context of respect, and exclude all forms of ideological bullying.
"When IT reigns, I’m poor.” Mario
Heaven Swan

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:23 am

American Dream » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:56 am wrote:"Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it". I cite this truism of New Age thought in sober recognition of the reality that various opinions I hold do create sparks here.

Was this written by a machine? Honestly, no human being I know converses like this. None. The first sentence bears no relation whatsoever to the second. What the hell were you asking for? What is this even supposed to mean?

My strategy of adaptation has included posting mostly article, trying not to add any commentary and to emphasize focused threads which no one has to read if they don't want to. I think it's the best I can do, considering.

Your "strategy of adaptation" (sic) is a strategy of carefully-maintained tension; in the increasingly-threadbare guise of a leftist, you are seeing just exactly how many verbal atrocities you can get away with and for how long. You don't just "strike sparks", you drop verbal bombs on innocent and honest people. Having bombarded Vanessa Beeley, Eva Bartlett, Julian Assange and now Robert Fisk with ordure, your very latest stunt is to accuse Cynthia McKinney of being a crypto-fascist.

It seems that the reality that it's often the content (in an ideological sense)- not the question of it violating any R.I. agreements- which makes some people unhappy is very rarely mentioned.

Damn right it's the content, as well as the form. Your warmongering pseudleft ideology is deeply repugnant to me and to nearly everyone on this board, as is your cowardly refusal to stand up and take responsibility for the tons of second-hand shit you defile this board with, day in day out, ad nauseam. Whenever confronted with the words you have chosen to post, your weaselish strategy is to say "It wasn't me who said it, it was him! I might and I might not agree with what he said! I just posted it here! Stop bullying me for an answer!"

Again: No honest human being I have ever met carries on like that. No one who is speaking and acting in good faith behaves so irresposnibly and evasively. No one. So I draw the unavoidable conclusion from that.

This is a key point and one that deserves far greater acknowledgment as I don't think it's fundamentally a question of obeying any particular rules, be they new or old.

For you it's a question of being extremely careful never (or rarely) to break any official rules while trampling on the spirit of this Discussion Board and its founder every single day, several times a day.

I think it's much more about my view of the world, that I see some confusions and conspiracies within the conspiracy world- where others may find some of the beliefs they are most deeply attached to.

There is no such thing as "the conspiracy world", you inveretrate and shameless stupidifier of all language, all thought and all discussion on this board. "Conspiracy theory" is a reactionary weaponised term invented and popularised by your CIA in association with your spooky corporate media and now by those spooks' legions of tireless boosters and cheerleaders online, such as you.

MacCruiskeen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:08 pm wrote:Jamey Hecht:

THE TERM ‘CONSPIRACY THEORY’

This phrase is among the tireless workhorses of establishment discourse. Without it, disinformation would be much harder than it is. “Conspiracy theory” is a trigger phrase, saturated with intellectual contempt and deeply anti-intellectual resentment. It makes little sense on its own, and while it’s a priceless tool of propaganda, it is worse than useless as an explanatory category.

http://www.911inquiry.org/Presentations/JameyHecht.htm

Do you agree or disagree with Jamey Hecht? As ever, it is completely pointless to ask you a straight question and expect an honest reply. You will whinge of being bullied if you condescend to reply at all.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Next

Return to General Discussion