Anybody else feeling sadness and grief over current events?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Anybody else feeling sadness and grief over current events?

Postby Jerky » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:13 pm

I mean beyond the anger and the partisan scoffing and the head-shaking disbelief over it all... something beyond an understanding of historical atrocities and current hidden crimes and all that. I'm not naive. I'm well versed in the history, both official and hidden, of America and the West. But there's something different about what's going on now (besides being alive to witness it, which I'll admit is a big part of it). There's just something about how fast it's happening, and how many people are "feeling it", or on board and enthusiastic about it.

Maybe it's just the weather today.

Anyway... anyone else?

yer old pal Jerky
Jerky

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Anybody else feeling sadness and grief over current even

Postby peartreed » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:01 pm

I think the coinciding of the conflicts in current events with the internet connection’s instant communication coverage of it all is creating a crisis of conscience amongst those of us concerned with the causes and consequence and commentary about our collective and individual character.

Anyone with any empathy and investment in humanity’s better instincts would be feeling the gathering storm of surreal stress on our psyche, sentiments, survival and suffrage, with its accompanying sense of loss and sorrow.
peartreed

Postby Blue » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:23 pm

I hate to sound cynical and heartless but things have always been shitty. Since the beginning of time people have suffered greatly and almost always much worse than most people today.

Of course the widespread inhumanity, cruelty, hatefulness and xenophobia on display by so many people in the USA today is depressing. Because it’s the direct result of 40 years of propaganda via hate radio and other mass media, most recently FB on top of underfunded schools, widespread encouragement of addictions, gun culture, violence as entertainment and shiny new toys.

Humanity should be so much better than this by now. Think of how different the world would be if only a few things changed in the last 50 years. The MIC money used for education, social programs, job programs, sustainable energy technologies, etc. etc.

To me, the worst thing happening today is the outright acceptance of Neo-Nazis in a nation that rests its laurels on defeating Nazis. People who praise Hitler and agree with his worldview should not have free speech, period. And it’s quite insidious when you see the billionaire First Lady of The United States of America wearing a $39 Zara jacket that says on the back “I REALLY DON’T CARE, DO U?” while she supposedly met with child immigrants at the border. Zara is a company that has sold handbags with swastikas on them and children’s pajamas that looked like concentration camp clothes for Jews, oh and the pepe frog skirt.

We have forgotten.
Blue

Postby Elvis » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:40 pm

Twitter exploded after Zara debuted its "White Is the New Black," T-shirt, which was supposed to be a play on the Netflix series Orange Is the New Black. But many viewed the shirt as offensive and racist. https://www.eonline.com/photos/13719/co ... ing/417446
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Blue » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:50 pm

So, lighten up, it's just a hip postmodern cultural reference, eh? No company creates the Nazi imagery over and over again without having a particular motive and obvious target audience.

Blue

Postby Elvis » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:03 pm

Blue wrote:So, lighten up, it's just a hip postmodern cultural reference, eh?

Myself, I find the "White is the New Black" highly problematic. I quoted the official explanation since it was there with the photo, but I don't quite buy it. It's obviously a familiar phrase configuration, TV or not TV, but put to a dark purpose (no pun intended).
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby thrulookingglass » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:58 am

Even God uses violence to solve his problems, should we be any different? As above, so below. Universe in turmoil. "And men’s hearts shall fail them for fear and for looking after those things which shall come on the world: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken." decries Luke...the bible...the ultimate mind virus. It's fun to bask in the glory of human suffering. Life has consequences, deal. The cascade of evil continues. "We're history's actors...and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do." Great societies require great actions. "The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." As far as my emotional state of trying to deal with humanities sickening decline, the horrors of environmental degradation, the continued worship of war, the burgeoning growth of malfeasance...I could care actually. I've left this realm already. My emotional needs are moot in the face of a meaningless existence where I cannot fully exclaim my hatred for these issues which have lead to our deterioration. I'm sorry, I do care but have not found the lever to undo the horrors we have laid out before each other. That lever lies within us all. WE must change. WE must destroy the halls of power and return them to the hands of concerned citizens (which should be every last living soul in this place). Abuse of power, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Sarah Sanders objects to being kicked out of a Virginia restaurant while thousands of children lie separated from their parents for seeking a better life for them. Sorry you couldn't get your omelete Sarah, the poor dejected unwelcomed possibly rapists and murders looking for greater opportunity share your grief. Compassion, it counts. Darkest before dawn? I wish all my stupid rants were crocheted on pillows..."I feel I've run a maze for a rat." Wailing at a wall. Oh Auschwitz, oh Earth! Cornelius: [reading from the sacred scroll] Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport, or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him. Drive him back into his jungle liar, for he is the harbinger of death. Deep in the distant future, there is a blanket that will comfort me...somewhere in a land where we all care about each other's well being. What waters will cleanse what we have learned? Violence solves nothing, it never could, it never will. Only love heals. We, who couldn't stop fighting to find the love of God in us. It's the rise of homosexuality, men wedding men, it's a abominable behavior before God. I told you this quote too and it slips under the wire..."we shall poison this world as to deafen the voice of God on the land." For those non-theists or who have an appallingly awful view of the god-thing like me, replace the word God with, that which is truly divine, grace...compassion...forgiveness. Heartless persecutions make wicked sinners of us all. In that same book of Luke Judas is vilified for "betraying" Jesus for money. Don't you think he might have wanted better circumstances for himself as well? Try walking in my shoes. Compassion, the only bell that rings true. My soul aches more than I can bear. I want out of this rotten creation no matter who built it! The late spring, early summer reveals SO much beauty, the flowers deliver fragrances unmatched in creation to the air, my garden rises unaware of the thought that eight minutes from now we could be staring at a ball so radiated with the poisons of thermonuclear explosions that could end ALL life here. What if we are the only bastion of life in the universe? You think it would be worth preserving. Words slips like grains of sand through this hourglass of life. Sad, angry, so angry...I deserve a better life than this...we all do. Hell is the absence of reason. Back to your regularly scheduled program...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzXV-5cV60o
thrulookingglass

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:33 pm

^^^^ that would be a "yes" from thrulookingglass, I imagine. Of all in the world causing me grief, right now your commentary has become paramount. I'm using a friend's 10 year-old laptop, so many photos cannot be shown or videos watched, like this you've linked to. So please consider that while reading my writing.

Let me first point out what concerns me most is your current state of mind - please tell me you'll be around to enjoy next Summer's sweet smells, God willing! I love the beautiful aroma of wild roses filling the air!
Iamwhomiam

Postby Elvis » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:38 pm

thrulookingglass wrote: Only love heals.

Okay, thrulookingglass, your 'rant' has many touching aspects but please delete the homophobic remark about gay marriage. We're having none of that. This is an official warning. Thanks.
Elvis

Postby thrulookingglass » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:18 pm

OY GEVALT! Sorry my friends. You have no idea what I've weathered. We all have problems. Thank you mightily for your concern. Can't stand this tournament of lies. Let us issue peace unto one another, not disdain. Wish I could tell you how I feel...nothing happens in a vacuum. We all affect one another. School shootings...school shootings...shouldn't our most sacred things be knowledge/learning? Lived in Fall River, MA...beautiful decaying city of immigrants, still portuguese speaking places down there...we are all of us immigrants. Children being separated from their parents out of spite? What world is this? No creatures should have to suffer through this. Please, what can we do to end the horrors of this world?

Wow! Totally pro-gay LGBTQ...was meant as sarcasm. All lives matter. Not what I meant, quite to the contrary. Will offer any apology necessary. Was completely and entirely proud of my commonwealth of MA for legalizing gay/lesbian marriage. All love is blessed. Thanks all for listening. Friends are important.
thrulookingglass

Postby Elvis » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:00 pm

thrulookingglass wrote:Wow! Totally pro-gay LGBTQ...was meant as sarcasm. All lives matter. Not what I meant, quite to the contrary. Will offer any apology necessary. Was completely and entirely proud of my commonwealth of MA for legalizing gay/lesbian marriage. All love is blessed. Thanks all for listening. Friends are important.

Glad to hear that was sarcasm, thrulookingglass. At least one member expressed concern about the remark. Maybe you could indicate in your post that it's meant sarcastically? As it stands, it's awfully hard to tell whether it's sarcastic or sincere. Thanks!
Elvis

Postby Jerky » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Green-ifying the text in question is always a nice, unobtrusive way of cluing people into your sarcastic intentions, Thru.

Cheers!
YOPJ
Jerky

Return to General Discussion