Disneyland Pop-Up - That's From Disneyland! Exhibit

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Disneyland Pop-Up - That's From Disneyland! Exhibit

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:07 pm

So much has changed at the park throughout the years and Neek, Sar and I have missed seeing some of the attractions from our childhood so when we heard that a Disneyland Memorabilia Pop-Up Exhibit was being held right nearby our home, we just had to visit. The exhibit will be open from August 1 to August 26, 2018 and the auction will take place on August 24 to 26.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHlYQAFR4-c

Good to be posting here again! Hope all has been well with you all!
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Disneyland Pop-Up - That's From Disneyland! Exhibit

Postby Grizzly » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:41 pm

Welcome back SRP ... :thumbsup
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:21 am

Grizzly » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:41 pm wrote:Welcome back SRP ... :thumbsup

Thanks Grizzly! Good to see you too.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby 82_28 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:47 pm

Damn. I "drove" around Disneyland in Streetview a couple of weeks ago wondering what it would be like to live near there. Was it strange? I do not know. I've only been there twice in my life. I just wanted to see the "environs".

If that guy is auctioning that shit, he's going to make a grip. Is there any story behind how he even acquired it?

I have a big program/book for Seattle's 1962 World's Fair. Were the cities just vying against one another or was it just strictly corporate marketing? I think Seattle got an "icon" out of it just because, well the Space Needle. They wanted to tear it down after the fair ended. Knowing what we know now, it must have been a strange time.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:58 pm

In Denver, we had this:

Celebrity Sports Center, 1960–1994

Spares and Splashes: Walt Disney’s Celebrity Sports Center

— by David Forsyth

Once, when speaking about the entertainment empire he had built, Walt Disney said, “I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing—that it was all started by a mouse.” Over the forty years that Disney oversaw his creations, they expanded from simple cartoons to enormously popular movies and theme parks. Although his enterprises were huge successes, Disney never let that success slow him down because, as he said once, “I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment.” That desire for exploration, with the financial backing of the mouse, brought Disney to Colorado on several occasions, and it led him to launch one of his company’s major experiments in Denver.

continues:

http://buckfifty.org/2009/02/04/celebri ... nt-page-1/

It's been said that, Celebrity was actually a "training facility" for those they would transfer to the larger Disney facilities.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Fascinating and thanks SRP for making me ponder this:

But all my life growing up in Denver I always felt that Colorado Blvd in Denver was EXACTLY like California (except when it's snowing). It resembles no other streets in the whole of Denver. I remember, when a friend's dad told me about where it ended. I thought it amazing. It just ended at the edge of a prairie. Now it doesn't of course.

But (again to use the word), in my "hobby" of researching history of cities and shit, it "MUST" have been designed/developed for it to look exactly like somewhere in CA. Or something. I know they did shit like that here in Seattle.
82_28

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:50 am

82_28 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:47 pm wrote:Damn. I "drove" around Disneyland in Streetview a couple of weeks ago wondering what it would be like to live near there. Was it strange? I do not know. I've only been there twice in my life. I just wanted to see the "environs".

If that guy is auctioning that shit, he's going to make a grip. Is there any story behind how he even acquired it?

I have a big program/book for Seattle's 1962 World's Fair. Were the cities just vying against one another or was it just strictly corporate marketing? I think Seattle got an "icon" out of it just because, well the Space Needle. They wanted to tear it down after the fair ended. Knowing what we know now, it must have been a strange time.

The collector, Richard Kraft, was (is?) a big time agent who represented, among others, Alan Menken, Danny Elfman and Richard M. Sherman:

Richard Kraft is an agent who represents composer for film & Broadway, including Disney legends Alan Menken, Danny Elfman, and Richard M. Sherman. Kraft grew up 100 miles North of Disneyland in Bakersfield, California, and because his brother David battled a chronic disease his entire life, his family was only able to make their pilgrimage to Disneyland whenever David was healthy enough to enjoy the park. When David passed away 25 years ago, Richard drove south to Disneyland and was flooded with all the happy memories of being with his brother. David began to collect coming attraction posters and rare souvenirs, filling his home with these artifacts from the park, including a Mr. Toad car in his library, a People Mover in the backyard, and a ‘Bashful’ mine cart from Snow White’s Scary Adventures in his front lawn. Kraft went so far as to suspend the 800-pound Dumbo ride vehicle from his living room ceiling of his home, which friends called “Kraftland.”

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/free-se ... p-exhibit/

Thanks for telling me about Colorado Blvd in Denver, 82_28. The only Colorado Blvd that I was familiar with is the Colorado Blvd in Pasadena, CA. This is the street they have the annual Rose Parade every New Year's Day. I wonder if that Colorado Blvd inspired the Denver Colorado Blvd? Strange synch!
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby PufPuf93 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:34 am

Good to see you and one of your Americana clips SRP. :jumping:
PufPuf93

Return to The Lounge & Member News