I have no socks: On recent events in RI-land

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

I have no socks: On recent events in RI-land

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi, everyone.

I was hoping my first post since my 7-day exile (which ran until 27 December) would have been to present you with a new, downloadable archive of the RI site.

This would be the first site archive since Joao did it two years ago. That one is still available.

Unfortunately, all I can report so far is of my interim failure. I put much work into this, but I have repeatedly run into technical difficulties. Or, perhaps, obstacles due to my own idiocy. That remains to be seen. So I have a couple of incomplete archives, but not yet the kind of complete, excellent job that Joao did.

I will keep working on this. I determined it was time to get a full archive of the site because the recent events here have made it impossible for me to be as involved as I have been. Because we have collectively put so much work into this -- because this is such an awesome archive of research, both good and bad but mostly good, that one will not easily find elsewhere -- because I put so much work into this and wish to have my own work available as potential drafts for future work, and I bet many of you feel the same way -- I wanted to make sure the full site is preserved, that it can be downloaded and browsed and searched offline.

Here is my own summary of these recent events:

1. For years many members have had complaints about the activities of American Dream on this board. These have resulted in suspensions for AD in the past. The basic complaint was once summarized by a former moderator, Wombaticus Rex. Note the linked post is from 2014, more than four years ago. At this point it is one of dozens from many members with similar complaints, dating back from before 2014 and continuing today. AD's described behavior has continued.

2. AD didn't bother me much. I thought many of his posts that insinuated various users have deplorable politics were fairly accurate; even if the style was passive-aggressive, unresponsive and all copy-paste. For a long time I thought the reaction to him was overblown. Recently I changed my mind, after a flood of copy-paste posts basically echoing a combination of State Department pro-war propaganda in anarchist guise (a long-time staple of his), along with stuff in the style of right-wing UK propagandists who call out Corbyn for imaginary "anti-Semitism." (What kind of made me snap were entirely unfactual posts accusing "leftists" or "the Left" in general of anti-Semitism in the immediate wake of an actual Nazi murdering 11 people at a liberal synagogue in Pittsburgh.)

The problem is not the politics, on a discussion board. There are people here who are to the right of AD (although they do not pretend to be leftists or, unlike AD, affect to represent the only True Left). The problem to me is the flooding and stalking behavior, which AD has never stopped doing.

3. At some point in the fall AD was banned for a month -- until 20 December, if I remember, so it would have been around 20 November. This was reversed after 3 days, however. At least the process was clarified by the mods.

4. Regardless of who's right or wrong on the question: The dispute with AD continued and culminated with my own rules violation. I posted a call-out thread, which I started in frustration during a period when there were no mods (due to the holidays or personal crises) and I felt AD was violating the limits that had been set on him. After a few days that thread was locked by the returning moderator, Elvis. He issued a ruling, copy-pasted below.

5. Elvis's ruling of 20 December banned me for one week and banned AD for one year.

6. About two days after that, AD was suddenly posting a whole bunch of stuff in his usual mode, including the highly curious "Open Letter to Jeff Wells" of 23 December that inspired so many replies, the majority highly negative.

Herein lies the mystery of this affair. Somehow AD was never banned, or the ban by Elvis was rescinded, or something the hell happened that no one has explained on this board: not Elvis, not Jeff Wells, not 82_28, not AD, no one. I have heard stories from several people by PM, and they conflict. Many have asked for an explanation to be posted, and I believe that's a reasonable expectation.

7. A couple of hours after AD's "open letter," Elvis posted a single line: "I am done being a moderator, effective immediately." (It's the post right after AD's "open letter" at the above link. The mostly negative responses to the "open letter" follow over the next couple of pages.) If you look at the discussions since, you can see it has been assumed by many that Elvis was somehow overruled or countermanded or deposed. I have communicated with several of the people who should be able to explain and have yet to receive a consistent story. I do not know what the real story is. I know that AD continued posting.

8. And there we are. Without making too much drama or rancor about it, I cannot continue to be active here as long as this is the state of affairs. I fully supported the Elvis ruling, but for whatever reason it was applied to me only (for one week) and not at all to AD (for one year, deservedly in my opinion.)

9. Again, I have for the moment failed in my intent, which was to post here only once I had a downloadable board archive ready to offer as a Christmas present. Ha to Christmas. I will do this! Sorry!

Getting back to the title of this thread: I have no socks.

That means, this is my only account on Rigorous Intuition. I have no sock-puppet accounts, as they are called. I am one person and have only ever had one username here, JackRiddler. I have only ever posted under this username. No one else has ever posted under this name. I believe it to be true of almost everyone who has ever posted here: meaning, that each of you is one person in real-life, and that each of you has only one account posting on RI. Also, that you are not posting as a sock yourself, i.e., posting content as the agent (formally or otherwise) of an organization or other person whom you have not announced.

(Note: Some users have changed usernames and announced it, which is perfectly okay. I think someone in the past was using two usernames so as to give expression to different personas, but had also announced it. This is also okay.)

I believe not using socks is a fundamental requirement of Internet honesty. I believe that this simple rule - don't be deceiving - has been followed by our current and past mods, and also by several people with whom I have had differences, including SLAD and AD himself. No socks among them, I believe.

So, my request: If you're going to post anything below, please make sure you have no socks. Thanks!

There are surely almost no socks here, isn't it wonderful?

But if you have socks, given the long history of

- Internet corporate fake-accounts (e.g. the Monsanto comment armies dating back to the 1990s) and

- government "persona" management (as confessed and covered in the corporate media already in 2010),

- and given RI's own history as a site of ARG experimentation on at least one occasion;

- and especially in this era of hoax news-sites, industrial clickbait facilities, speculative or at least inflated Russiabot Hordes, and the very real manipulative activities of organizations like New Knowledge and the Integrity Initiative

(hardly an exhaustive list!)

please get a conscience and let us know.

On this forum it is all we common users can do, to ask you for the ephiphany of self-knowledge and self-reform.

Here's to a Happy Roman Revised Calendar Turnover and lots of health, warmth, peace, love, understanding and good things to ALL in 2019.

Last edited by JackRiddler on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I have no socks: On recent events in RI-land

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:16 pm

[copy pastes of referenced items]

Wombaticus Rex wrote:Re: Global Research, Chossudovsky, Russia, Propaganda
by Wombaticus Rex » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:07 pm

That's a very funny question! You got suspended because of your entire online MO -- the passive aggressive snipes at people, stirring shit up and then acting like you don't see people responding, and overall, maintaining your stellar track record of being the most intelligent and subtle troll we've ever had here at Rigorous Intuition to date (with the possible exception of Jeff Wells, of course -- jury is still out on that one).

A great way to reverse that trend would be to treat the people in this thread who are asking you questions like normal human beings, who are just as smart as you, don't have "problematic" or "questionable" motivations, and would earnestly like answers from you! Give it a shot! Could be exciting.

Elvis wrote:Re: American Dream: Supporter of Ukrainian fascism on RI
by Elvis » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:20 pm

I am shocked—shocked I say!—to come back and find arguing going on here!

Round up the usual suspects.
This is perhaps one of those threads that needed to happen. I'll try to make this brief.

- Because the thread was conceived as a provocation, reactionary retorts will stand, but with a request/warning to SLAD to end the old "kill yourself" controversy; with sophistry detected on both sides, JackRiddler has explained himself sufficiently. (Also see: ["kill yourselves" +diogenes])

- Jack's thesis here is, in my opinion, essentially correct, but Jack will get a one-week suspension for directing profanity at another member.

- AmericanDream is suspended for one year. This forced sabbatical is not lightly given, nor is it by any means solely a result of the arguments given by Jack and others here. For all the reasons cited in this thread, and by so many other members over many years now, AD's banishment has been on the table since long before I became a moderater. This fact was volunteered to me in my "orientation" so it is not just the wish or view of a few noisy, partisan posters, but rather a recurring, strongly expressed theme among a broad range of longtime members and moderators, and the natural consequence of AD's habitual trollery.

- Thread locked.

American Dream » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:55 am wrote:Cross-posting because it's relevant:

American Dream » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:57 am wrote:
An Open Letter to Jeff Wells

"Rigorous Intuition", the board which you sponsor, has been going downhill for some years now. One important and integral factor is the inconsistent moderation, which has been quite a problem at times. This is an ongoing issue in the time since you left, as you once played a much more active role in cultivating a healthy culture within the community.

Never has that been more apparent than now, under the defacto rule of the unaccountable Elvis Administration, which seems intent on running the board as the personal plaything of a small group of problematic posters. It would be no exaggeration to describe them as an ideologically aligned group of serial abusers.

Ultimately this is something that must be figured out in accordance with your own inner presence. I urge you to investigate thoroughly and reflect deeply on what Rigorous Intuition is in the process of becoming. I then urge you to act according to the voice of your deepest and truest conscience.

Sincerely,

A.D. aka American Dream

Elvis » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:40 pm wrote:I am done being a moderator, effective immediately.

[relevant discussion including responses from many continues from there]
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:28 pm

Thank you, JR, for astutely summarizing recent events and echoing the sentiments/speculations of others here.

I've conveyed similar lines to a few members here via PM, but in solidarity with you/Elvis, and given recent events, will also proceed with the bolded bit below:

Without making too much drama or rancor about it, I cannot continue to be active here as long as this is the state of affairs. I fully support the Elvis ruling, but for whatever reason it was applied to me only (for one week) and not at all to AD (for one year, deserved in my opinion.)

This board, and many of its contributors, are highly valuable -- and increasingly rare -- resources.

In my view, it's important -- particularly in this current era -- that RI continues to foster/cultivate/encourage analysis, member discourse, and critical assessment of social/political events.

Much of the frustration over the last few years have centered around the perception/observation that this forum has strayed, at least in part, from such objectives, primarily due to the posting behaviors of two of the most prolific posters here.

It may be the RI of yesteryear some of us are clamoring for is simply no more, replaced (organically or otherwise) with a modified/altered version: a haven for curators/regurgitators rather than analysts/distillers of information.

Unfortunate, if so.

In any event, here's hoping to a resolution (of some sort) in the days ahead, and a continuation of valuable participation/contributions that are much needed at this time
(pending feedback from a mod, or our absentee landlord, to the outstanding questions raised in the OP).

Cheers to all for better collaboration and transparency in the coming new year.

(And yes, I am also confirming I'm no sock -- there is only one Belligerent, though not much of a savant)

Edit: i'm fully aware the absence, however temporary or prolonged, of Elvis/JRiddler presents a greater detriment to this board than my absence, of course. I shall maintain my solidarity, regardless.

(A few edits were also made to syntax as of ~6pm Eastern, 12/31)
Belligerent Savant

Postby liminalOyster » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:30 am

In solidarity as well as bad shared feeling, I'm out too. Account still open; could be back. Would be awhile if so.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby Jerky » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:24 am

Oh wow!

Amazing!

Here we go with YET ANOTHER repetitive, out-of-nowhere topic with the single, solitary raison d'etre being to insult, slag off, and generally attack AD... apparently for NOTHING this time! And attempting to portray him as some sort of STALKER no less!

Accusing the one you're stalking of being a stalker... Talk about psychiatric projection. Talk about absolutely pathetic levels of overkill.

Really, guys. This is just too goddamn rich. Shouldn't this topic be folded into one of the other AD attack topics that's already polluting this board? If it's allowed to remain, that is (which I don't think it should be, recent board history being what it is).

Enough with this phony outrage digging up board fights with long-gone members from four or five years ago just to try and justify your own beliefs and actions today. AD has been on his best behavior for a long time now. You've been throwing nonstop tantrums during that same time frame. Meanwhile, you've been treated with kid gloves, and he's been treated like the board equivalent of Mengele.

Enough already. If you can't just ignore AD, then don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you.

BYE, FELICIA.
YOPJ
Jerky

Postby peartreed » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Our old pal Jerky has a point. A good one. The tirades and campaign against AD are beyond tedious.

JackRiddler’s fixation with ousting AD reached a recent extreme when he intentionally invited his own suspension as a punishment for again violating the rules in another attempt to remove AD from R.I. He would even voluntarily leave the place himself (as he has inspired some of his acolytes to do) except for trying to first archive the forum and his own contributions over its history. Yet he returns to slag AD.

The problem with this continuing personalized persecution of one or two other prolific posters is its revelation of resentment of anyone else getting more attention or coverage with controversial views contrary to one’s own. It’s the concern of the contamination of the otherwise pure autobiographical archive, the sharing of credit with counterarguments, the allowance of a different political view proliferating in the mix and, ultimately, the fear of being discredited by a more popular or valid argument.

Trump has the same kind of fixation as a narcissist who cannot share the spotlight and attention with anyone daring to dispute his own delusional determinations about what constitutes the truth and why. Megalomaniacs will do whatever it takes to attack and destroy, dismiss and denigrate the opposition. They will use any rationale, argument or evidence in their efforts to dominate and control a forum. It is the mission of the teacher to control the class from any distracting disagreement with the day’s lessons.

I agree with Brekin in the other thread that this place needs to be put back into proper perspective as what used to be a pleasant arena for varying exchanges about current events, not a prosecutorial prison. Jack should try to park the ego at the door and develop some consideration and compassion for others, and for profound and riveting perspectives quite unlike his own. It is the variety and diversity of views that make a discussion truly dynamic.
peartreed

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:35 pm

First, have we had an explanation of what happened yet? Nope. It would be nice.

Did Jerky read anything above before posting? Unknown. His post did not require it. It consists of generic derision and, addresses no specifics, and engages in his usual remote attribution of hidden motives. Very personalized, not substantive. The lingo nowadays has revived the term "gaslighting" to describe this approach. The basic idea is that Jerky is the only consistenly sane guy here. Everyone he disagrees with needs therapy. That's why he's so exasperated, I guess.

By the way, I have no socks.

Jerky » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:25 pm wrote:This is like my fifth or sixth iteration on the Rig-Int message boards, and I was here participating way before there WAS a fucking message board.

That's convenient. Perhaps one of these five or six iterations can show up and do exactly the same thing as Jerky: the remote psychology thing, but in a different rhetorical register. Play the nice Pastor Jekyll to Jerky's roguish but lovable Mr. Hyde. There is strength in numbers, even if the number is 1.

peartreed » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:07 pm wrote:Our old pal Jerky has a point. A good one.

I'm sure he does. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by JackRiddler on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

JackRiddler

Postby Jerky » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:39 pm

I fully expected your little "sock" gambit was a set-up from the get go. Because you're just that desperate and pathetic. I'll get back to it in a moment.

Everything you wrote (particularly the gaslighting thing) describes YOUR modus operendi here, NOT mine. I particularly enjoy your well-worn tactic of providing a link (but barely ever a quote) from some post that you consider beyond the pale here, and describing its contents, and when you go and read that post, it's absolutely nothing like what you describe, making it patently clear that you were relying on the fact that barely anyone would follow the provided link, and just trust that, "hey, he wouldn't link to something that contradicts him, would he?"

THAT, moron, is what gaslighting is.

As for "socks", I have none, and according to the definition of internet forum sock puppets (creating characters meant to seem like real "other" people in order to back up a position by making it seem more people than really do agree with you), I have never had any. Not on this board, or anywhere else. Early on - like, right at the start - this board had some technical issues that made it difficult for the moderator(s) at the time to retrieve forgotten passwords. So over time, I have been "Jerky LeBoeuf", "Jerky", and "Sweet Tooth", never simultaneously, and never for the purpose of sockpuppetry.

My real name is Mark Thibodeau. I currently reside in the Parkdale neighborhood of Toronto. My personal email and phone numbers are available to anyone who would ask for them. I believe Russian and Iranian media are less trustworthy than Western media. I believe it is better to reform the West than it is to toss it onto the garbage heap of history, in favor of... what, exactly?

Anyway, your turn, Jack!
Jerky

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Jerky » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:39 pm wrote:I fully expected your little "sock" gambit was a set-up from the get go.

Fascinating. I wonder if anyone else thought it was about them?

Jerky » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:39 pm wrote:I believe Russian and Iranian media are less trustworthy than Western media. I believe it is better to reform the West than it is to toss it onto the garbage heap of history, in favor of... what, exactly?

Anyway, your turn, Jack!

Why would I reply to this, especially to the last couple of sentences, loaded as they are with simpleminded imputations, false terms, and hidden premises? Your imagined "West" and your geopolitical enemy images are your burden to carry, not mine.

But I'm glad you're on record with the no-sock pledge.

You may be a really nice guy in real life, so why not get back to it and stop trashing every thread here?

This thread has a question, and you're wasting our time.

Last edited by JackRiddler on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:12 pm

Apparently the question has just been answered:

Elvis » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:08 pm wrote:
Elvis » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:40 am wrote:I am done being a moderator, effective immediately.

I'm resuming my role as moderator, thanks for all the supportive comments. I quit only because I incorrectly assumed that Jeff had overruled me and reversed AD's suspension, but that turned out not to be what happened. It was probably the result of a software glitch.

There's a tradition at hangings (maybe only in the movies) that if the rope breaks, you must let the condemned man go free. It's New Year's Day so I'm not doing any work today anyway.

Happy New Year :bigsmile

JackRiddler

Postby elfismiles » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:00 am

Still no socks here; but...

#SockSelfie
sock-selfie-paramaniacs.jpg

Are You Now or Have You Ever ... used multiple UserNames in the same forum (and did you publicize this act)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23223

SockPuppet/AstroTurf Alerts
by elfismiles » 18 Feb 2011
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31261

How-To ... Detect Sock-Puppets
by elfismiles » 18 Apr 2013 20:41
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36276

Who the Frak are YOU: The RI Membership Directory
by elfismiles » 29 Sep 2009
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25305
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Grizzly » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:12 pm

Full disclosure: I used to post under Uncle $cam, but was completely accused and attacked as a larper or and arg(?) by the gang (some, I highly respected, at the time which hurt) here so I left and came back as Grizzly. At the time, I DIDN'T even know what a larp was...I had to look it up. But quickly came up to speed, then realized if if you guys were so god awful wrong about that, then how many others were accused who weren't I'm reminded in Sun Tzu's, The Art Of War, the word OR mere suggestion of the word SPY, completely infects the trust and bond of a group, forever shattering trust.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:30 pm

I saw no attacks by the "gang" or anyone else could you link to those please?

and since no one here at the present time is posting under 2 different names I see no reason for this thread other than the usual coming from Jack
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Grizzly » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:42 pm

I saw no attacks by the "gang" or anyone else could you link to those please?

No Slad, I wont. Even if I had the time, I wouldn't because it doesn’t matter to me anymore. If you feel so inclined be my guest. I never at any time posted simultaneously under either U$ nor Griz, to be clear... I was merely trying to fully disclose no socks, but did change monkier's.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby conniption » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:13 pm

Grizzly » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:12 pm wrote:Full disclosure: I used to post under Uncle $cam, but was completely accused and attacked as a larper or and arg(?) by the gang (some, I highly respected, at the time which hurt) here so I left and came back as Grizzly. At the time, I DIDN'T even know what a larp was...I had to look it up. But quickly came up to speed, then realized if if you guys were so god awful wrong about that, then how many others were accused who weren't I'm reminded in Sun Tzu's, The Art Of War, the word OR mere suggestion of the word SPY, completely infects the trust and bond of a group, forever shattering trust.

Uncle $cam!!! I missed you and thought of you from time to time through the years.
Don't recall any of the disturbing details of your departure, but can imagine...
Notice you posting as U$ here and there around the web, wondering if you were the same person I knew and loved so well. Anyway, good to see you're here.

(wouldn't it be funny if Jack and Jerky were the same person. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone I said that.)

^^^ (nice socks elfismiles)
conniption

Next

Return to General Discussion