Lesson from History: Transgender Mania Camille Paglia

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Lesson from History: Transgender Mania Camille Paglia

Postby Grizzly » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:49 am

Lesson from History: Transgender Mania is Sign of Cultural Collapse - Camille Paglia

Author, art professor, feminist, and cultural commentator Camille Paglia speaks on the current transgender mania, the wisdom of early medical & surgical intervention (calling it "child abuse"), and how the explosion of gender identities is a recurring sign of cultural collapse throughout the history of civilization.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Lesson from History: Transgender Mania Camille Paglia

Postby DrEvil » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Apart from early age surgery I really don't see what all the hubbub is about. If were to argue that the rise in acceptance of homosexuality was a precursor to the collapse of our culture people here would have strong words with me. Why should it be any different for transgendered people?

As I see it the problem isn't with transgendered people (with the small caveat that obviously there are transgendered assholes and extremists out there, just as with any other movement), any more than it used to be with gay people. The problem is the intolerance and bigotry of other people. Live and let live.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:38 pm

DrEvil » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:06 pm wrote:Apart from early age surgery I really don't see what all the hubbub is about. If were to argue that the rise in acceptance of homosexuality was a precursor to the collapse of our culture people here would have strong words with me. Why should it be any different for transgendered people?

As I see it the problem isn't with transgendered people (with the small caveat that obviously there are transgendered assholes and extremists out there, just as with any other movement), any more than it used to be with gay people. The problem is the intolerance and bigotry of other people. Live and let live.

Camille Paglia has always profiled herself by doing an edgy-seeming feminism-appropriating defense of everything traditional with eyeballs and hubbub as her currency. She was out there in Milo land when Milo was in diapers.

Agreed 100% but would that things were so simple. Early age surgery is a big problem. (Parents messing up their children and passing on their baggage in a million ways is the problem of nearly all humanity since the dawn of the species, by the way, but in modern societies irreversible physical changes are the big no-no until the person is an adult who decides on that themselves. Of course, early transition is being defined as a medical intervention for that reason.)

I would say violence against trans people and gender non-normatives generally is a huge problem with enormous rates of violence directed against them. (Against us, I should say. When in my life do you think I first heard the word "faggot"? As a kid, when it was directed against me. It had nothing to do with my sexual orientation, it was about masculine bullying, or the mimickry of it by other young people.) The choice of some transgender people to respond to this violence by targeting "trans-exclusionary" radical feminists as though they are committing the violence - and sometimes even committing violence themselves against these women - is smaller problem with huge consequences that tears apart those who should be allied. If human females who feel vulnerability as such want spaces for themselves without the presence of human males, that is their choice and it is not an act of violence against trans people.

But let's not forget that the same society that may embrace early transition surgery is the one where THIS also happens:

Oregon School District Forced LGBT Students To Read Bible As Punishment
MAY 11, 2018 BY MICHAEL STONE

A rural Oregon school district is facing discrimination charges after forcing an LGBT student to read the Bible as punishment.

[...]

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressi ... unishment/
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Grizzly » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:12 pm

A partnership between missile manufacturer Raytheon and the Girl Scouts was the natural final step into military-industrial dystopia.

Raytheon and Girl Scouts of the USA collaborate to help girls “Think Like A Programmer.” The six-part Journey is the prelude to the first-ever Girl Scouts Cyber Challenge in 2019, and includes hands on activities that challenge middle and high school girls to think like a programmer by taking a big problem and breaking it down to smaller pieces. Girls learn about computer languages, patterns and representations, algorithms, and binary digits. In addition to building girls’ confidence with STEM skills and exposing them to career opportunities in cyber security, artificial intelligence and programming, the six-week series is girl-led. This means that girls will team up to solve problems and organize projects. At the end of the Journey, girls develop a sustainable Take Action project to address a community issue, using the skills they’ve learned from Think Like a Programmer.

:starz:
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:25 am

How does that connect to Paglia's complaints (in the thought-style of a Roman patrician) about purported behavioral decadence as though it's somehow a cause of all the bad things? Her stuff is like a secular version of Pat Robertson telling us gay rights made God give us 9/11. The barbarians at the gates shit may as well come from the neocons. They're going to take us over and chop off our heads and we're worrying about gender fluidity! Come on!!! (Although she's still talking ISIS and has yet to transition to the Russkies.)

Now Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts instrumentalized by the war machine... makes perfect sense. Were these organizations of patriotic education ever anything contrary to it? When was this not the case, ideologically?

Also, this is corporate PR action. The action itself isn't necessarily sinister - why shouldn't girls learn programming? It's the motive, the war machine corporation Raytheon upholding its reputation as some kind of humanitarian endeavor (and possibly advancing future employees).
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Return to General Discussion