How Bad Is Global Warming?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: How Bad Is Global Warming?

Postby DrEvil » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:24 pm

Uh huh. Someone actually went to the trouble of overlaying the proposed high speed rail route with the fires. Guess what? There's hardly any overlap at all.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/cameronwilson/ ... racy-wrong

Here's a look at CLARA, from August this year:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... tter-taste

So it's either a big conspiracy with armies of arsonists and weather control on an unprecedented scale, or it's just really fucking hot and dry in Australia (hint: it's really fucking hot and dry in Australia).

The link c_d posted copy-pasted parts of the above Guardian article without attribution btw. Always a sign of a quality publication.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Elvis » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:26 am

coffin_dodger wrote:when the money dries up

:lol:
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:17 am

There is so much garbage in that page I don't know where to begin.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby coffin_dodger » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:38 pm

Joe Hillshoist wrote:There is so much garbage in that page I don't know where to begin.

That's a highly engaging and erudite counter-factual argument.
Thanks for your keen insight, Joe.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby DrEvil » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:59 pm

coffin_dodger » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:38 pm wrote:
Joe Hillshoist wrote:There is so much garbage in that page I don't know where to begin.

Said the guy who routinely refuses to say what he means when asked point blank. :roll:
DrEvil

Postby thrulookingglass » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:41 pm

More s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶t̶i̶f̶i̶c̶ ̶e̶v̶i̶d̶e̶n̶c̶e tales from the greatest liberal conspiracy since Greenpeace...

'Scale of This Failure Has No Precedent': Scientists Say Hot Ocean 'Blob' Killed One Million Seabirds - by Jessica Corbett, staff writer
The lead author called the mass die-off "a red-flag warning about the tremendous impact sustained ocean warming can have on the marine ecosystem."

On the heels of new research showing that the world's oceans are rapidly warming, scientists revealed Wednesday that a huge patch of hot water in the northeast Pacific Ocean dubbed "the blob" was to blame for killing about one million seabirds.

The peer-reviewed study, published in the journal PLOS ONE, was conducted by a team of researchers at federal and state agencies, conservation groups, and universities. They tied the mass die-off to "the blob," a marine heatwave that began forming in 2013 and grew more intense in 2015 because of the weather phenomenon known as El Niño.

"About 62,000 dead or dying common murres (Uria aalge), the trophically dominant fish-eating seabird of the North Pacific, washed ashore between summer 2015 and spring 2016 on beaches from California to Alaska," the study says. "Most birds were severely emaciated and, so far, no evidence for anything other than starvation was found to explain this mass mortality. Three-quarters of murres were found in the Gulf of Alaska and the remainder along the West Coast."

Given that previous studies have shown "that only a fraction of birds that die at sea typically wash ashore," the researchers put the death toll closer to a million.

"The magnitude and scale of this failure has no precedent," lead author John Piatt, a research biologist at the U.S. Geological Survey's Alaska Science Center and an affiliate professor at the University of Washington, said in a statement. "It was astonishing and alarming, and a red-flag warning about the tremendous impact sustained ocean warming can have on the marine ecosystem."

Piatt and study co-author and University of Washington professor Julia Parrish explained that the team believes the blob—which spanned hundreds of miles—limited food supply in the region, leading the birds to starve.

"Think of it as a run on the grocery stores at the same time that the delivery trucks to the stores stopped coming so often," Parrish said. "We believe that the smoking gun for common murres—beyond the marine heatwave itself—was an ecosystem squeeze: fewer forage fish and smaller prey in general, at the same time that competition from big fish predators like walleye, pollock, and Pacific cod greatly increased."

Piatt added that "food demands of large commercial groundfish like cod, pollock, halibut, and hake were predicted to increase dramatically with the level of warming observed with the blob, and since they eat many of the same prey as murres, this competition likely compounded the food supply problem for murres, leading to mass mortality events from starvation."

According to CNN, which reported on the study Thursday:

The blob devastated the murres' population. With insufficient food, breeding colonies across the entire region had reproductive difficulties for years afterward, the study said. Not only did the population decline dramatically, but the murres couldn't replenish those numbers.

During the 2015 breeding season, three colonies didn't produce a single chick. That number went up to 12 colonies in the 2016 season—and in reality it could be even higher, since researchers only monitor a quarter of all colonies.

Thomas Frölicher, a climate scientist at the University of Bern in Switzerland who was not involved in the new study, discussed the blob's connection to the human-caused planetary emergency with InsideClimate News.

"It was the biggest marine heatwave so far on record," said Frölicher, who noted that such events have doubled in frequency over the past few decades. "Usually, we are used to heatwaves over land. They are much smaller in size, and they do not last as long. In the ocean, this heatwave lasted two or three years."

Frölicher warned that "if we follow a high-greenhouse-gas-emissions scenario, these heatwaves will become 50 times more frequent than preindustrial times" by 2100. He said that even if the international community achieves a low-emissions scenario in line with the Paris climate agreement, marine heatwaves would still be 20 times more frequent.

"What that means is that in some regions, they will become permanent heatwaves," he added. "This gives us some insight into the future."

The study—which its authors expect to inform research on other mortality events related to marine heatwaves—was published just weeks after University of Washington scientists found what some have called "the blob 2.0" forming in the Pacific. That discovery came as "quite a surprise" to those researchers.

University climatologist Nick Bond told local media that "the original blob was so unusual, and stood above the usually kind of variations in the climate and ocean temperatures, that we thought 'wow, this is going to be something we won't see for quite a while.' - commondreams.org
thrulookingglass

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:54 pm

coffin_dodger » 18 Jan 2020 02:38 wrote:

I'm not having a go at you but that article is full of stuff that I know is factually wrong.

Byron and Kingscliff are 50 km apart and neither were within cooee of fires let alone torn apart from them. Their funding for Kingscliff Fire and Rescue (ie town not bush fire fighting) is completely seperate to the funding for Byron and its fire district.

The funding issues mentioned are factually wrong and the numbers are inaccurate. There is plenty of bullshit with funding but you won't learn the truth of it from that article. Most of the funding cuts come on the back of political decisions based on the politics of ignoring or doing nothing about climate change

I've been fighting fires the entire time I've been active in this board

I'm a decorated officer in the RFS with over 20 years experience. I'm a brigade captain these days. Me and my crews have fought on every major fire in our fire district and travelled throughout the country assisting other areas for the last 6 months.

I've controlled whole fire fronts and multiple crews while we directly saved countless homes and lives this season. We've stopped other fires in incredible conditions while they been jumping containment lines hundreds of metres wide. As a result no homes needed to be saved.

Other towns we've saved repeatedly over a decade or more were smashed this season.

Most fires were not started by arson. Most started in country so inaccessible the idea of someone walking in there (there is often no vehicle access) to light fires is beyond ludicrous. Not that it wasn't an issue but not on the scale they claim. The town I mentioned that was actually torn apart for example. That fire may have started by arson but did have dry lightning strikes in the area it started as well. And as yet no evidence I'm aware of that points to actual arson. But there is still some doubt on how it actually started in that particular spot. So some shit head may have lit it. And I do have informal access to this info. Ie I talk to the people who know.

Many of the arrests re fire were for people lighting fires in total fire bans, or using equipment like slashers and mowers or welding gear or angle grinders outdoors during total fire bans.

That may seem excessive btw but so many fires start from equipment related heat or sparks and in the conditions that get total fire bans (when the fire danger index is over 50) those fires are just as hard to stop as any others.

The train stuff is factually wrong. Fires don't match the proposed routes in ways that would make any sense. Many of the fires burning in the train route area got there by repeatedly breaking containment lines in conditions that are ... Frankly mental. There is no way that could have been planned.

I could go on but I really can't be bothered.

As I said Im not having a go at you but the article is full of shit.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby coffin_dodger » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:36 pm

I'm not having a go at you but that article is full of stuff that I know is factually wrong.

Thanks Joe, I really appreciate you adding some flesh to the bare bones of your original post. Having a 'man on the ground' in the affected area is a most valuable source.

It's a strange reality in which we live, isn't it? Both sides of this 'argument' are ultimately striving for the same thing - a better, cleaner, healthier environment for all - but the angles from which we approach it put us at loggerheads with one another. The TOTT article, ultimately, calls for the overthrow of a corrupt system because of one set of perceived data, and the climate alarmists by another set of perceived data. We all have shared values but are unable to agree on cause, so we bitch at one another.
Is it controlled, or is it just the way we are? And does it really matter?
coffin_dodger

Postby DrEvil » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:56 pm

coffin_dodger wrote:
The TOTT article, ultimately, calls for the overthrow of a corrupt system because of one set of perceived data, and the climate alarmists by another set of perceived data.

Jesus Christ, man. You just had it explained to you by someone who should know that the TOTT article was bullshit, yet still here you are holding it up against decades worth of scientific research and data collection as if they're somehow equivalent. This is why people keep calling your arguments stupid.
DrEvil

Postby coffin_dodger » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:19 pm

Doctor, I wasn't talking to you, yet you find it irresistable to call me stupid, again and again and again, even when I address others. I grow weary of it. Please, go rage at someone else. Ignore me. As much as my posts enrage you, please ignore me.
I implore you.

Or would you rather I didn't post here at RI any more? Your decision.
coffin_dodger

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:42 pm

Your posts don't enrage, any more than the old sidewalk gum that sticks to one's shoe and ends up tracked all over the carpet. They do serve to make the whole site dumber, for the simple reason that your replies are impervious to reason, to evidence, to argument, and you keep on posting them. If your latest comment was meant to be a poll, I think it would be great if you found a site that was more your own speed.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby coffin_dodger » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:55 pm

Point taken. Cheers.
coffin_dodger

Postby DrEvil » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:55 pm

coffin_dodger » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:19 pm wrote:Doctor, I wasn't talking to you, yet you find it irresistable to call me stupid, again and again and again, even when I address others. I grow weary of it. Please, go rage at someone else. Ignore me. As much as my posts enrage you, please ignore me.
I implore you.

Or would you rather I didn't post here at RI any more? Your decision.

You never post anything of substance in your responses to me, you usually latch on to the least relevant bit of whatever I wrote and ignore everything else, or straight up refuse to explain what you're talking about, so I respond to your posts that have a bit more than "you called me stupid!" in them.

Post here all you like, but in case it hasn't sunk in yet, the subject of climate change is something I care deeply about, so I'm not going to ignore your posts if they contain straight up horseshit, like the article you posted up-thread, and especially not if you double down on the horseshit afterwards, like when you set up a false equivalence between the article and all of climate science, conveniently ignoring the detailed explanation of why the article was wrong Joe had just posted.
DrEvil

Postby chump » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:17 am

chump

Postby DrEvil » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:57 pm

^^Can't say I see how that is in any way relevant to this thread. Government corruption and/or ineptitude in one country doesn't disprove global warming.
DrEvil

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion