Bet on Dem VP! (Switches to: "Spring 2020 Riots Thread")

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Who will be the actual Democratic candidate?

Sen. Harris
12%
Sen. Klobuchar
No votes
Sen. Warren
4%
Stacey Abrams
4%
Michelle Obama
16%
Secretary Clinton
16%
Gov. Whitmer
4%
Other VP candidate (click this and specify below)
12%
Brokered convention surprise: Other (click and specify)
12%
Rope-a-dope: Biden implodes, Sanders re-emerges
20%

Total votes : 25

Re: Bet on Dem VP! (Switches to: "Spring 2020 Riots Thread")

Postby Cordelia » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:05 am wrote:It's all FUD from here to the convention, ...

If the country isn't back up & running by mid August, we'll face a lot of disappointed and hungry people. Politicians and their fellow conventioneers are party animals needing their big feast every four-years. It'll be bad enough having to cheer and blow noisemakers through masks (if the conventions are live) but how will they cut back-room deals and revel in after hour blowouts if they go virtual?

ImageImage
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby brekin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:13 pm

New Police Commissioner Charles Manson Easing Into New Role

Reporter: Have you found your sudden change in circumstances, death row yesterday and today Police Commissioner, a little jarring?
Commissioner Charlie: Like blamo, man, from the pen to the top ten, with a minimium of paperwork. Imagine my surprise, but I dig it, man, Commissioner Charlie just goes with the flow man, with the flow.
Reporter: And you think you are the man of the hour, who can lead the city forward in this time of police elimination- I mean reform?
Commissioner Charlie: Who better? Winston Churchill? I've spent my whole life in prison, Man. Only Charlie's Helter Skelter program is what the people want. I'm just like a radio tuning into what the people want, and people want the Piggies to die. And as head piggie, I'll take this piggy out at the market, I'll take this piggy out at the-
Reporter: What do you think has created this groundswell of resistance?
Commissioner Charlie: Oh man, that's easy, whole world did recreated what I did at the Spahn Ranch. Isolated vulnerable people during a turbulent time from their friends and families, didn't let them move around freely, didn't let them have jobs or go to school, terrorized them daily with apocalyptic narratives, fed them conflicting information on and off on over every little thing, convinced them of an appending race war, not to trust the government and that the system was out to get, get, get them.
Reporter: I believe now, we go to your first press conference.

Commissioner Charlie: Dig it babies, Commissioner Charlie is here to lay out the new rules as Big Piggie. You dig? Okay, first, no more piggiemobiles. Sends the wrong vibe. The new Family Department is going to resweet the enforcement fleet with Dune Buggies, VW Vans and Station Wagons.
Also, every straight Mom and Pop, by law, are required to pick up troubled drifters hitching, dig? Let me break it down, babies, Love is the law, and the whole of the law.
Ok, now, restorative justice, that 2 dollar buck stops with me. The Pigs, they ain't who you call when someone is messing with your shit or lady. You gonna call the Family Department and one of my cue ball cuties will take your call, ladies of justice, please raise a finger so they can see you.

Commissioner Charlie: Dig, the ladies of justice of the Family Department, they take the call, and if you are sufficiently righteous- they pass the call on to the New Love Force of the The Family Department. Formerly known as The Seven Sons of Satan Motorcycle gang. What say you, defenders of love and freedom?

Love Force Chief: Listen up, good punks of our fair city. In this restructuring of law enforcement I want everyone to know that defunding doesn't mean we are doing away with law enforcement. No, we are just going to not give them enough money to do their jobs effectively and bring back 1970's-80's era blight and white flight. Forget about communities of color actually campaigning for greater police presence in their neighborhoods over the years, that is, excuse my French, politically passe. But don't worry, the justice we will meet out in the New Love Force of the The Family Department will be much more organic, dealing with process and non-escalation. On that note, the first order of business is to announce the execution warrant for Mick Jagger.

Commissioner Charlie: Right on, Chief! Ok, no time for anymore questions sycophants I got mayors to jive with, an NPR interview and got to Zoom, Zoom, Zoom back to the helter skelter underway. But I will leave you with this "Manson Moment" to marinate on:
"So how do communicate to a whole group of people? You stand up and take the worst fear symbol and say "There, now I've got your fear. Now I've got your fear." And your fear is your power and your power is your control. I'm your king of this whole planet. I'm gonna rule this whole world."

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020 ... lice-crime
18 murders in 24 hours: Inside the most violent day in 60 years in Chicago
“We’ve never seen anything like it, at all,” said Max Kapustin, the senior research director at the University of Chicago Crime Lab.
By Tom Schuba, Sam Charles, and Matthew Hendrickson Jun 8, 2020, 6:21am CDT

A hardworking father killed just before 1 a.m.

A West Side high school student murdered two hours later.

A man killed amid South Side looting at a cellphone store at 12:30 p.m.

A college freshman who hoped to become a correctional officer, gunned down at 4:25 p.m. after getting into an argument in Englewood.

While Chicago was roiled by another day of protests and looting in the wake of George Floyd’s murder, 18 people were killed Sunday, May 31, making it the single most violent day in Chicago in six decades, according to the University of Chicago Crime Lab. The lab’s data doesn’t go back further than 1961.
From 7 p.m. Friday, May 29, through 11 p.m. Sunday, May 31, 25 people were killed in the city, with another 85 wounded by gunfire, according to data maintained by the Chicago Sun-Times.
In a city with an international reputation for crime — where 900 murders per year were common in the early 1990s — it was the most violent weekend in Chicago’s modern history, stretching police resources that were already thin because of protests and looting.
“We’ve never seen anything like it, at all,” said Max Kapustin, the senior research director at the crime lab. “ ... I don’t even know how to put it into context. It’s beyond anything that we’ve ever seen before.”
The next highest murder total for a single day was on Aug. 4, 1991, when 13 people were killed in Chicago, according to the crime lab.

Pfleger: A time bomb

The Rev. Michael Pfleger, a longtime crusader against gun violence who leads St. Sabina Church in Auburn Gresham, said it was “open season” last weekend in his neighborhood and others on the South and West sides.
“On Saturday and particularly Sunday, I heard people saying all over, ‘Hey, there’s no police anywhere, police ain’t doing nothing,’” Pfleger said.
“I sat and watched a store looted for over an hour,” he added. “No police came. I got in my car and drove around to some other places getting looted [and] didn’t see police anywhere.”
Mayor Lori Lightfoot said on May 31 alone, Chicago’s 911 emergency center received 65,000 calls for all types of service — 50,000 more than on a usual day.
Pfleger noted the systemic problems that have plagued minority communities for decades — like joblessness, food insecurity and a lack of housing — were already heightened by the COVID-19 outbreak, which he said “made a bad situation worse.”

Darius Jelks, 31, and Maurice Jelks, 39 were fatally shot amid widespread civil unrest while driving May 31 in Burnside.
After brother, cousin killed, Canadian man laments: Third-world countries are safer than Chicago
Darius and Maurice Jelks were killed on May 31, the most violent day in Chicago in modern history.

Floyd’s killing in Minnesota simply brought further to the fore the “hopelessness and anger” felt by those living in blighted communities, added Pfleger, who said the current unrest reminds him of the rioting that broke out when the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated.
“It’s like a time bomb out here,” Pfleger said. “People are on the edge, people are angry, people are poor, and they don’t even know when it’s going to change.”
If immediate action isn’t taken to address systemic racism, poverty and “black folks being shot down and killed out here like dogs,” Pfleger said the last weekend in May will merely serve as a “coming attraction of what’s going to happen next.”
Most homicide victims in Chicago are young, black men, and the suspects are, too. But murders have fallen significantly in recent years, along with police-involved shootings. There were 764 murders and 12 fatal police-involved shootings in 2016, compared with 492 murders and three fatal police-involved shootings last year.

“The level of activity experienced over the last week has been unprecedented and the Department is actively investigating multiple incidents across the city and working to determine the motives in these cases,” Chicago Police spokesman Thomas Ahern said in a statement. “... The Department is actively working to seek justice for all the residents impacted, especially those who have been killed or injured by these senseless acts of violence.”
Ahern said after “increased violent and criminal activity” on Saturday, May 30, police canceled days off for all officers and placed them on 12-hour shifts in order to direct “our full force of manpower towards Chicago’s neighborhoods, particularly on the South and West Sides.”

‘Positive influence’ slain

The weekend’s death toll includes 21-year-old Gregory Lewis, one of six people killed May 30. Lewis was gunned down early that morning while riding in a vehicle in the 500 block of East 115th Street.
Mustafa Abdullah, Lewis’ former dean at Excel Academy of Roseland, spoke glowingly of his former student, who he described as a “positive influence” and a leader who for a time served as the vice president of the school’s student government.
“He was very helpful at deescalating any situations that had potential to kind of escalate into anything further,” Abdullah said. “He was a really good kid.”
Abdullah said he had a “unique” relationship with Lewis. In addition to joking around and “busting on each other,” Lewis also helped Abdullah acclimate to life in Chicago as he was still adjusting after moving from Philadelphia.

“We would sit and talk in my office for hours just about life,” he said. “So just kind of schooling me on the ins and outs of Chicago, the do’s and don’ts. Just kind of what the young people are going through today as far as neighborhood situations or whatever the case may be.”
In recent years, Abdullah fell out of touch with Lewis but said he knew his former student was trying to launch a rap career.
On Thursday, Abdullah fondly recalled a school trip to Washington, D.C., that he and Lewis went on together.
The pair spent the bus ride down poking fun at each other, which served as a constant source of entertainment for the other students along for the ride. Once in the Capitol, the group toured the historical sites and museums and took in a Washington Wizards game.

“I could tell that he was very humbled and very appreciative of the experience of getting the chance to get out of Chicago for a few days and then kind of, proverbially and actually, just letting his hair down and be able to just be a kid,” he said.
Teyonna Lofton was shot last Sunday while waiting in line outside a gas station.
Shot after her own graduation party
For Teyonna Lofton, of Gresham, last Sunday started on a high note. The 18-year-old recently finished her senior year at Perspectives Leadership Academy, and her family was holding a socially distanced graduation parade to honor the occasion.

While the day “started off perfect,” a trip to a gas station at the corner of 81st and Racine — a half-mile south of St. Sabina — later that day quickly turned into the most harrowing experience of her young life.
As she waited in line outside the store, an SUV pulled up and someone inside opened fire into the crowd, striking Lofton and two others. Struck near her elbow, she tried repeatedly to call 911 for help.
“When I needed help, to call the police and stuff, nobody responded. Nobody answered,” Lofton said. “My mom had to come from home, and we had to get to the hospital.”
On the way to Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park, Lofton peered out her mother’s car window and saw the “madness” that was unfolding outside.
“It was just people jumping out their cars into stores and stealing and looting ... Police was letting them do whatever they wanted,” she said.
“They did not care,” Lofton added. “Nobody cared.”

Because the bullet struck an artery, Lofton was ultimately transferred to the trauma unit at Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn for surgery. After being released Wednesday, she now faces months of physical therapy after losing feeling in much of her wounded arm.
Lofton was among the 48 people wounded in shootings across Chicago that day. Though she has worked with Pfleger in the past to advocate against gun violence, Lofton said she plans to increase her efforts now that she’s become a victim.
“I want to really make some noise,” she said.
Late last week, Lofton was concerned that detectives still hadn’t reached out to her about the shooting, which hasn’t been publicly reported by the department.
Police attention diverted: expert

Kapustin of U. of C.’s crime lab said massive upheavals or protests typically require police departments to divert officers to respond to demonstrations.
“When CPD has to turn its attention elsewhere and there’s suddenly this vacuum that opens up, you also unfortunately see a picture like you saw with [last] weekend where you see an absurd amount of carnage, people getting injured and killed,” he said. “Those forces are still there.”
Kapustin said the current situation “lays bare a really nuanced understanding of the role of the police.”
Danyal Jones, 30, was standing on a front porch in the 8100 block of South Woodlawn Avenue when a male walked up and fired shots, authorities said. Jones was hit in the chest and taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.

“You have to sort of ask yourself: How are you going to get to a place where you have a police department that people respect and that has earned the trust of the community, but it’s still actually effective at reducing gun violence, which is the thing that plagues a lot of these neighborhoods,” Kapustin said. “And we’re so far right now from getting that figured out.”
‘Great, great deal of anxiety’

Andrew Holmes and Pastor Donovan Price have seen more anguish than most.
Both men respond to crime scenes across the city, offering support and comfort to the families of those killed.
Even for them, the last weekend in May was different.
“I’ve been experiencing a great, great, great, great, great deal of anxiety,” Price said. “I’ve been hurting, I’ve been paining, I’ve been crying, I’ve been losing sleep for the city because I love the city ... And so I’ve been hurting for that, as well as watching it, to a certain level, not self-destruct but definitely take a sip of the poison every now and then.”

In Price’s view, collaboration between academics, clergy and neighborhood leaders has been lacking in the fight to tamp down violence.
“There’s a difference between swelling and growth, and the amount of programs and nonprofits and town halls and all of those things caused a swelling — mainly of the peoples’ heads who were doing them — in thinking that they’ve got this, they’ve solved this, we’ve got a handle on this,” Price said.
Lea este artículo en español en La Voz Chicago, un servicio presentado por AARP Chicago.

Even aside from his work in aiding bereaved families, Holmes knows violence all too well. His daughter was shot to death in Indianapolis in 2015. Two years later, a young cousin of his — an 11-year-old girl — was shot and killed in Parkway Gardens on the South Side.
In the last week, Holmes said, he’s felt “kind of numb” and can sometimes struggle to find words of comfort for grieving families.
“Because sometimes when they lose their baby, there’s not a right word that you can say ... especially [to] a mother, a woman,” Holmes said. “It took her nine months to give birth and life to that baby, and it takes a second for a person to discharge that weapon [and] take that person’s life and that’s wrong. That’s a lot of pain.”

“I’m not going to sit here and tell you I’m all right,” he added. “No, I’m not all right because I feel that pain, I feel that suffering that they’re going through.”
Killed while visiting
Angelo Bronson was standing in Englewood’s 6800 block of South Laflin on May 31 when someone fired shots from a passing car, striking him in the chest. The 36-year-old father of two young children was dead less than an hour later.

Bronson had lived in the Washington, D.C., area for many years, where he worked installing solar panels and was remembered by friends as hardworking, humble and quick to laugh. He had come home for the weekend to visit his family who lived in the neighborhood, which he did frequently.
“Just about the last person I could have thought this would happen to was Angelo,” his longtime friend Ali Evans said. “The man was so calm and quick to laugh, too. I just can’t believe we’re talking about him in the past tense.”
Shots fired during looting

John Tiggs, 32, was walking into a Metro PCS at 8100 S. Halsted St. on May 31 to pay his bill, family said, when shots were fired inside the store amid widespread looting on the South Side. Tiggs, who family described as a devoted father of three young children, was struck in the abdomen and died. A 15-year-old boy was also injured. Police said two people initially taken into custody have been released without charges.
“John had a big heart. He was there for us, and [his death] has taken so much from us,” his aunt Marie Marsham said. “When you needed something done, he was the first to be there to help you out.”
John Tiggs

Other May 31 victims included two 18-year-old women — both students.

Lazarra Daniels, a student at DRW College Prep in Lawndale, was found shot by officers at 10:51 p.m. Sunday in the 4200 block of West Van Buren Street.
Principal Tony Sutton called Daniels’ death “an incalculable loss for her family, and one that will pain those who loved Lazarra for a long time” in a social media post breaking the news to the school’s community.
“I can’t even cry no more I just get mad,” a friend wrote on Facebook about her death.
Keishanay Bolden was enrolled at Western Illinois University, where she was studying law enforcement and justice and hoped to become a correctional officer.
Her campus community remembered her for her outgoing personality and ability to make people laugh.
“Keishanay was a person of determination, intelligence and joy. She had the ability to uplift the mood of anyone near her. A gifted young lady who will be truly missed,” a resident adviser at Lincoln Hall dorm wrote.

Police said Bolden was killed Sunday afternoon when she was shot during an argument in Englewood, where she grew up.
Thinking about her community for a college assignment last year, Bolden touched on the gun violence in her neighborhood, writing: “When one person is hurt everybody is hurt. We all might not hurt the same, but we can feel that pain when one of ours is hurt.”
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby liminalOyster » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:46 am

Cordelia » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:22 pm wrote:
Wombaticus Rex » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:05 am wrote:It's all FUD from here to the convention, ...

Politicians and their fellow conventioneers are party animals needing their big feast every four-years.

I wonder if the Cremation of Care will be cancelled this year, too.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby Cordelia » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:09 pm

^^^
Evidently it was (unless they gather secretly but it would be hard to hide the crematory fireworks).

Resorts throughout the region remain closed. Canoe and kayak rentals are still shut down. Major events, including the Lazy Bear Week in Guerneville and the Bohemian Grove encampment in Monte Rio, both scheduled for July, were canceled. Vacation rentals remain prohibited, as well, though local residents believe some are still being rented illegally.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/1097 ... -river-and

The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:42 pm

As sober people tracking events and not engaging in fear porn would expect, no signs reported so far of a C19 surge due to the #BLM protests in Hennepin County. Another week should tell.

Black Lives Matter Protests Held for 16th Consecutive Day
JUN 11, 2020

Protests against racism and police brutality are continuing across the United States and around the world. In Washington, D.C., hundreds marched from the White House to the Lincoln Memorial Wednesday chanting “No justice, no peace! No racist police!” In Boston, the Coalition of Black Youth led a massive rally outside City Hall demanding the defunding of the police department.

In the San Francisco Bay Area, activists are demanding school districts cancel contracts with local police departments. This is Jackie Byers, director of the Black Organizing Project, speaking at a rally in Oakland Wednesday.

Jackie Byers: “We don’t want police in schools. We want teachers. We want librarians. We want public health. We want nurses. We want art programs. We want ethnic studies.”

Hennepin County
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=h ... -eCsrIAAAA
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Kamala v. Kamala

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:01 pm

Contrasting Kamala Harris in 2013 -- or really at any point before May 2020 -- mocking people who want "money for schools not prisons" and suggesting releasing people from prisons would lead to an immediate crime holocaust
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42023&start=270#p688277

with Sen. Harris today

Kamala Harris Dismisses Notion that ‘Hiring More Cops’ Results in Safer Communities. Here’s What the Studies Say.

AARON KELLER
Jun 11th, 2020, 1:33 pm 17
https://lawandcrime.com/george-floyd-de ... udies-say/

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), while introducing the reform-oriented Justice in Policing Act of 2020 (which some argue did not go far enough), questioned the presumption that more police equal safer communities.

“[W]e have confused[] having safe communities with hiring more cops on the street, as though that is the way to achieve safe communities, when in fact, the real way to achieve safe and healthy communities is to invest in those communities,” Harris said.

[...]

I guess "We-they" is her preferred pronoun for herself?

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby stickdog99 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:20 pm

Why do I get the feeling that they already shoveled Poppy, Epstein, Rumsfeld, and Cheney into Kamala as in Being John Malkovich?
stickdog99

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:06 am

https://youtu.be/HRWMhj7u-e0

Just as pertinent today.

"...you never let your enemy tell you how many of you there are, never let the man that you're against form your opinion.
This is the trick that's played on everyone who's oppressed; the first thing an occupation -- when you have a revolution in the country -- the first thing you take over is the radio and then you start telling the people and everybody "the war's over" and so all of them surrender [audience laughter]. They believe that thing right there, and once [the govt] takes that over, they start telling you where you are and where they are and you fall right in line. That's plain thought control. The majority of the American people aren't segregationist, the majority of the American people aren't imperialist, but the government is, the structure is, the power faction is.

So, how then do all the majority go along with it?

Because those who sit in power -- over the television, over the radio, and over the
press -- are constantly telling those who are the masses how free they are..."

- Malcolm X
Belligerent Savant

Re: Pool: Who Is the Actual Democratic Candidate?

Postby Harvey » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:22 am

Elvis » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:50 pm wrote:Based on her very chipper demeanor in Twitter videos, I think Harris has been told. But then, I don't really give a fuck. :basicsmile

Exactly. What thinking person *could* give a fuck? This corporate automata or that corporate automata. From such a perspective Dementia Joe is the perfect candidate. The establishment can have regular televised instalments of a haggard soothsayer interpreting the divine edict according to which way Joe's saliva trickles down his chin, Live, On Air.

"Joe says we invade, there you have it folks!"
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:57 pm

Reporting that Klobuchar is OUT.

According to Associated Press, a second round of vetting is going on for the six women:

Democrats with knowledge of the process said Biden’s search committee has narrowed the choices to as few as six serious contenders after initial interviews. Those still in contention include Sens. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Kamala Harris of California, as well as Susan Rice, who served as President Barack Obama’s national security adviser.

The other three named in the article are: Florida Rep. Val Demings, Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms and New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham. Harris, Rice, Demings and Lance Bottoms are African-American. Lujan Grisham is Latina.

Notably absent from the list are Stacy Abrams and Amy Klobuchar. Klobuchar is probably out because of her record as a prosecutor in Hennepin County, which includes Minneapolis, during which she declined to charge multiple police officers involved in shootings.

Abrams is not mentioned.

However, AP also notes that the process is still fluid and that more candidates may yet be added.

I bet Amy, so I must stick with that. Also, I think they're thinking the wrong Rice. (Jesus, either one!)

JackRiddler

Postby norton ash » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:33 pm

I think Georgia will be the BLM action centre through Juneteenth, I think Abrams will be public and confident, and I believe she's already the chosen one for VP in this wartime election with its voter-registration/regulation aspects. That's the vibe I'm getting from MSDNC and some recent Abrams TV appearances.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Grizzly » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:59 pm

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby brekin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:45 pm

I Am Liberal, hence Legend

Ah, fortunately the peaceful protesting has been light today, only 6 blocks razed. Need to get home though before the nightly plague transmission parties of The Progressive Neighborhood Watch pick up so I can work on the vaccine for our ills, the truth serum. Where'd I park the car though? Ah there it is.

Need to go further and further out from the city center for shopping after all the loot-, er justifiable anger at centuries of systemic oppression. Seemed like it is kind of counter effective, especially in the very communities that are most oppressed, but I Am Liberal, so I'm not going to play the blame game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for reform, but the abolishment, I mean "defunding" of the police just seemed a little, dare I say hasty. But I guess that is progress, and hey I Am Liberal so who am I to quibble with the more, eh progressive folks. Wouldn't want to be perceived as some type of monster, like a Republican a.k.a. Alt Righter a.k.a. Racist a.k.a. White Supremacist

Ah, home sweet home. Need to get in before I run into The Neighborhood Progressive Watch, they've been a little aggressive these days. And jeez what ever happened to not massing in such huge numbers during a pandemic? I'm all for a impromptu march for history against systemic racism and oppression, but isn't from what we've learned globablly the last 5 months THAT is collective suicide? I mean cases are rising* Mmh, I wonder if my amazon packages have arrived?

Sweet they have! Or at least some of them. I wonder what the little lady- er my partner has cooked up? Not that I don't do my fair share of the cooking mind you. We have a schedule so there is no unfair enforcement of perceived traditional roles. remember I Am Liberal.

Hello Darling, made your favorite, something or other meat substitute all organic, locally sourced, cruelty free and free trade, blah blah, because I know, You Are Liberal.

Oh, how you tease my sweet Condeleeza. What would I do without you? Funny how not so long ago a union like ours was perceived as no big thing, then a curiosity, then an oddity and now sadly a tragedy. Why is it so hard to believe a Liberal and Conservative can be married?

I don't know one could blame the internet, the pandemic, but who cares tonight is Friday, you lucky white devil which means we are watching CNN and not my Fox News. Here I'll flip it on for you while I run the blender to drown out the lies.

If you are watching this then you own a television which means you are privileged which means you are statistically most likely white, and if you are white there is a 50% chance you are male, if you are male there is a 90% chance you are cis, which means ignorant heterosexual, so you are most likely evil and impure and responsible for all the world's ills. Please turn yourself immediately into your local Neighborhood Progressive Watch for immediate reeducation and begin your long, never ending winding road to atonement, which will not be granted. And if you happen to be a cop, then by god may the very fires of hell incinerate your soul- {Click}

Sorry, I had to turn that off. Damn, they are laying it on a little thick these days aren't they? Doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do during a plague and everybody already on edge and locked up all day. Anyhow, I've got some very good news that I have just have to share with you.

Oh my stars, is it that we can go to Ben and Jerry's again? They are at phase something or another? I can finally get a haircut?
Even better honey, I was working on the vaccine, the truth serum and I think I've perfected it.
Yes, finally a breakthrough, just we need right now. Let's go to the Lab right now!

If this works, this will be just what the world needs during these troubling times.
I hope you are right dear.
Honey, who wouldn't want to hear the Truth, with a capital T. Remember I Am Liberal, and even I want it right now.
Well, take it from a Black Woman Republican, not everybody likes the truth when they hear it.

Meanwhile outside....The Neighborhood Progressive Watch
He the one we've been tracking on Next Door?
Yes, he has refused to march, thinks it is foolish during a pandemic, regardless of the cause. I also sense he doubts in his heart that America is not completely racist through and through.
A neighbor said he was even heard saying that not all cops are bad, back when there were cops.
And there is a rumor, that he is developing a vaccine for the misinformation plague, a truth serum.
Brothers, we storm his honkey castle at midnight. He's not progressive, He Is Liberal, so he is Legend.
Yup, that oppressor is history.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/14/87678695 ... t-home-ord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qyeFbHyX28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGY1heE3Y-Y
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/worl ... dates.html
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/chin ... e-n1231030
Last edited by brekin on Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Hegemony & Tropes

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:48 am

I suppose brekin is seeking to show us, or perhaps only reflexively illustrating, the power of hegemonic ideology when allied to the voodoo of widely-available tropes (such as that "liberals" are all white-skinned, high-income hypocrites; that all solidarity with black people is opportunistic and motivated by a desire to signal virtue or appear guiltless; that black militancy is opportunistic and an attempt to gain unearned advantages over the white folk; that people generally are animals guaranteed to do the selfish thing no matter how stupid; that only conservative curmudgeons really see things as they are; etc. etc.).

Hegemonic tropes are so simple, not only in their assertive detail but emotionally. Tropes are perfect for fiction and entertainment, which is why those genres are full of them. Most successful works of fiction tend to have conclusive world-views, self-contained stories, and be full of disctinctive images and metaphors and caricatured characters. No matter how false, established tropes are much easier to evoke and believe than contrary facts in the real world. Who wants to slog through the drudgery of empirical evidence that suggests different conclusions than those in which we have been conditioned since infancy? Appealing to conditioned social prejudice is all downhill. This is how Big Lies usually work.

(By the way, don't tell me it's "parody" when the author of it refuses to clarify whether it is meant that way, or when in any case the face-value of brekin's work could not be more evident. Claiming this would be a cheap means of adopting distance from what one has obviously said, and again he hasn't suggested it.)

Meanwhile, the right to peaceably assemble and protest grievances should not be dependent on the rulings of public health authorities, especially when there are 70 or 900 of them and they're not in agreement. Certainly not when, despite the awful and partly preventable death toll of the disease, it is obviously not developing in the way that was initially suggested by the most extreme panic-mongers.

However, as it happens the data is unambiguous. Those claiming C19 as a reason not to protest are mistaken, and possibly also intentionally seeking to impeach the protesters, as brekin is doing.

minnesotaC19.jpg

Early test results show few protesters caught COVID-19
By CHRISTOPHER MAGAN | cmagan@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press PUBLISHED: June 12, 2020 at 4:36 p.m. | UPDATED: June 13, 2020 at 8:59 a.m.

https://www.twincities.com/2020/06/12/m ... rotesters/

Either safe protesting works, or the protests have not correlated with the development of the pandemic. C19 hospitalization, death toll, and case counts for Minnesota have all trended strongly downward in the weeks since the street uprisings began. Don't let anyone try to scare you off the streets.

I'll go further and say that immature youthful frustration with lockdown measures (as opposed to the economic catastrophe and human suffering these have brought on) is not any kind of force behind the uprising that has followed on the public summary execution of George Floyd. As gently as it deserves, this view is full of shit. The catalyst of the uprising was this public summary execution itself, and the force driving it has been the way Floyd's death belonged to a very long train of similar and systemic abuses by the police and civilian authorities who give them impunity.

But it takes a special level of nastiness to ignore, on the one hand, how the police have responded with unprovoked mass violence against protesters, turning cities into warzones, but on the other to paint a masturbatory fantasy in which the protests are actually the result of Jacobin fanatics stirring up mindless masses (paging Prof. Le Bon) who, to top it off, are ready to break into the homes of any fat white people who aren't participating in the protests and lynch them! Yeah, that's totally how lynching has worked, historically and today. Good work, something to really be proud of.

God forbid anyone should listen to the voices of those fighting this struggle. It's so much easier to post stills from old movies, make up absurdly trenchant dialogue, turn it all into a bitter joke.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JackRiddler

Re: Hegemony & Tropes

Postby brekin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:25 pm

JackRiddler » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:48 am wrote:I suppose brekin is seeking to show us, or perhaps only reflexively illustrating, the power of hegemonic ideology when allied to the voodoo of widely-available tropes (such as that "liberals" are all white-skinned, high-income hypocrites; that all solidarity with black people is opportunistic and motivated by a desire to signal virtue or appear guiltless; that black militancy is opportunistic and an attempt to gain unearned advantages over the white folk; that people generally are animals guaranteed to do the selfish thing no matter how stupid; that only conservative curmudgeons really see things as they are; etc. etc.).
Hegemonic tropes are so simple, not only in their assertive detail but emotionally. Tropes are perfect for fiction and entertainment, which is why those genres are full of them. Most successful works of fiction tend to have conclusive world-views, self-contained stories, and be full of disctinctive images and metaphors and caricatured characters. No matter how false, established tropes are much easier to evoke and believe than contrary facts in the real world. Who wants to slog through the drudgery of empirical evidence that suggests different conclusions than those in which we have been conditioned since infancy? Appealing to conditioned social prejudice is all downhill. This is how Big Lies usually work.
(By the way, don't tell me it's "parody" when the author of it refuses to clarify whether it is meant that way, or when in any case the face-value of brekin's work could not be more evident. Claiming this would be a cheap means of adopting distance from what one has obviously said, and again he hasn't suggested it.)
Meanwhile, the right to peaceably assemble and protest grievances should not be dependent on the rulings of public health authorities, especially when there are 70 or 900 of them and they're not in agreement. Certainly not when, despite the awful and partly preventable death toll of the disease, it is obviously not developing in the way that was initially suggested by the most extreme panic-mongers.
However, as it happens the data is unambiguous. Those claiming C19 as a reason not to protest are mistaken, and possibly also intentionally seeking to impeach the protesters, as brekin is doing.
God forbid anyone should listen to the voices of those fighting this struggle. It's so much easier to post stills from old movies, make up absurdly trenchant dialogue, turn it all into a bitter joke.

Wowee Zowee, not sure how you got all that, from that, to there, from here, but I'll Be Your Mirror as you keep supposing.

I'll be your mirror
Reflect what you are, in case you don't know
I'll be the wind, the rain and the sunset
The light on your door to show that you're home
When you think the night has seen your mind
That inside you're twisted and unkind
Let me stand to show that you are blind
Please put down your hands
'Cause I see you
I find it hard to believe you don't know
The beauty you are
But if you don't let me be your eyes
A hand to your darkness, so you won't be afraid
When you think the night has seen your mind
That inside you're twisted and unkind
Let me stand to show that you are blind
Please put down your hands
'Cause I see you
I'll be your mirror
I'll be your mirror
I'll be your mirror
I'll be your mirror
I'll be your mirror
brekin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion