Weird number sequences on craigslist explained

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Weird number sequences on craigslist explained

Postby starroute » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:09 am

I'm posting this because it seems to be related to other discussions of bizarre messages which have shown up here. The original at Slashdot has several hyperlinks amplifying different aspects of the story.<br> <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/08/05/216229.shtml">it.slashdot.org/it/06/08/05/216229.shtml</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>VoIP Numbers Stations were Social Experiment<br><br>IO ERROR writes "The mysterious phone number stations appearing on Craigslist for the last three months, which resembled their shortwave radio cousins, and which Slashdot reported on in June, were an experiment devised by security researcher Strom Carlson and a group of Los Angeles hackers to determine if encrypted messages could be passed using unwitting third parties to foil traffic analysis by hostile intelligence agencies. Carlson and the hackers presented their findings at DEFCON earlier today and gave away CDs with "Make your own Mein Fraulein station" kits and posted one final number station for people to try to decrypt." <p></p><i></i>
starroute

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Deep Politics