Finally Some Truth on Iraq

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Finally Some Truth on Iraq

Postby JD » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:49 pm

If you need more proof that the Age of Oil is coming to an end, you need look no further than two sentences that were uttered last week. One was from the Pentagon. The other, about two hours later, was from President Bush. <br><br>Here's what the Pentagon said on Wednesday, October 11: <br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>US will stay at full strength in Iraq until 2010, says army chief</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> <br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"Military commanders at the Pentagon have revealed that they are laying plans to maintain troop numbers in Iraq at about 140,000 for at least another four years as sectarian violence continues to surge and fatalities among American soldiers have risen sharply."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <br><br>Later in the day, Bush held a press conference at the West Wing driveway of the White House. Near the end of his speech, he gave an explanation of why US troops are in Iraq and will remain there for another four years . . . <br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"The stakes are high. As a matter of fact, they couldn't be higher. If we were to abandon that country before the Iraqis can defend their young democracy, the terrorists would take control of Iraq and establish a new safe haven from which to launch new attacks on America. How do I know that would happen? Because that's what the enemy has told us would happen. That's what they have said. <br><br>"And as commander in chief of the United States military, and as a person working to secure this country, I take the words of the enemy very seriously, and so should the American people. We can't tolerate a new terrorist state in the heart of the Middle East with large oil reserves that could be used to fund its radical ambitions or used to inflict economic damage on the West."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> -George Bush, October 11, 2006 <br><br>In that one sentence, Bush admitted that oil is the central focus in the war on terror. Of course, the more cynical and politically astute among us already knew this. But the Administration is no longer using WMDs or "spreading democracy" as the rationale for regime change. <!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline"><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>It's now the security of precious resources. So the war on terror is really "a race to secure massive energy reserves in geopolitically weak nations."</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--></span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--> <br><br>full article at:<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.stockhouse.com/shfn/editorial.asp?edtID=18855" target="top">www.stockhouse.com/shfn/editorial.asp?edtID=18855</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
JD

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Iraq