Texas campus mass stabbing event.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Texas campus mass stabbing event.

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:32 pm

operator kos wrote:Okay, I'll be the one to state the obvious. We're long overdue for some strict regulations on who we let own knives, or at least certain types of knives. Remember that mass stabbing that just happened in China a few months ago? How much longer are we going to allow knife manufacturers to put profits over people's safety and peace of mind?

Only an immature asshole would say such a thing. So atypical, too. Not a word of sympathy for the victims, but a mockery of their victimization.

Sharps are well regulated in most states, btw.
elihu wrote:
tis not to wonder at the sickness of society but rather, turn the whole thing into a daycare (asylum imo) by prohibiting dangerous toys. i sense no appeal to misdirected personal vindictiveness, just the incredible pathos of love for the collective.

One cannot but wonder at the sickness of society wherein one refers to deadly weapons as 'dangerous toys.' Seems just too many with dangerous toys don't play all that well with others.

Thanks again for two profound examples of Service To Self thinking.

"...just the incredible pathos of love for the collective."
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Alchemy wrote:First thing that comes to my mind is this is some sort of right wing psy op to somehow show that guns arent the problem. Awfully timely, coming precisely when Congress is in heavy debate over gun legislation.

Dude, rule of thumb, it is ALWAYS a right wing plot (I'm not being condescending here -- just felt like using the word "dude"). We identify as "left" but essentially what this means is we are the "non-plotters". This is what we have been reduced to. Those who plot and those who don't. It's illegal to not plot and it is also legal to plot, but also illegal. Double nevermind, we've heard it all before from the likes of me.

To destroy a portion of the empire is to become it. Thus, we are stuck. It is the reason the natives of all lands and Gnositcs and who knows who else were wiped out systematically.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby justdrew » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:28 am

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

quick temper piranhas

Postby IanEye » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:08 am

Elihu wrote:i trust you.

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby operator kos » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:36 pm

In this thread I pointed out the absurd illogicality of gun control. In response I have been called an asshole who only hasn't gone on a mass killing spree himself because I'm too incompetent with firearms. Glad to see there's still such a high intellectual bar amongst the anti-gun crowd.
operator kos

Postby barracuda » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Personally, I'm not anti-gun, just anti-killing and anti-mayhem.

Dylan Quick is a quiet, 20-year-old student with a hearing impairment who worked at the campus library and loves books. Colleagues and faculty, however, didn't know Quick also harbored a grisly fantasy since grade school: stabbing people to death.

On Tuesday, Quick acted out his fantasy, running through the halls of Lone Star College's CyFair campus with a utility knife and lashing at strangers' faces, chests and throats before being tackled to the ground by students. None of his 15 victims were killed.

Police on Wednesday said they were still trying to determine what triggered the stabbing spree and what other motivations drove Quick's bloody rampage through campus. This much is known: Quick had two blades with him at school on Tuesday – the utility knife he used in the attacks and a precision knife he kept in his backpack during the ordeal.

"Yesterday's incident was planned for quite some time," Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia told reporters on Wednesday. He added, "We still don't know what the impetus for this incident was."

The first calls came to campus police at 11:13 a.m., and Quick was subdued four minutes later, campus President Audre Levy said. In that short span, students reported the suspect dashing from building to building, slashing and stabbing at passersby, seemingly at random.

Quick had worked at the campus' library for about a year, where he was well-regarded by co-workers, Levy said. Faculty who knew him said he was a good student who never gave trouble, she said.

"There were no signs he was a problem student," Levy said. "The library had fond things to say about him. Many are surprised he was the individual."

But trouble lurked beneath the pleasant façade of the library worker. After his arrest Tuesday, Quick confessed to investigators he had fantasized about stabbing people since age 8, Garcia said. His office also received an e-mail tip that Quick had revealed his stabbing fantasy in online chat rooms prior to the attacks. Late Tuesday, deputies searched the home Quick shared with his parents and confiscated information relevant to the attack, Garcia said.

Surveillance video at the college clearly shows Quick on his rampage, he said. Prosecutors at a probable cause court Tuesday night noted that a "bloody knife tip" had been removed from the chest of one of the victims.

"The defendant gave a videotaped confession, admitting he stabbed complainants multiple times with a … knife because of his fantasy to kill people," a prosecutor told the court, KHOU-TV reported.

But the person with a fantasy to stab and kill was far different from the shy bookworm known around campus. An online profile of Quick on the college's website posted earlier this month said he was active in the book club and listed his favorite book as The Phantom of the Opera, by Gaston Leroux, according to Click2Houston.com, which reviewed the story before it was removed from the college's website Tuesday evening.

According to the profile, Quick was born completely deaf and received a cochlear implant when he was 7. He was home schooled and his mom began involving him in the college's library teen activities when he was 12, the profile said. According to the story, Quick said "book clubs were a great foundation for college, a starting point from which to evolve."

The profile said Quick planned to pursue a career in accounting and wanted to transfer to the University of Houston after getting an associate's degree from Lone Star College.

Instead, authorities on Wednesday charged him with three counts of aggravated assault for Tuesday's attack at the college.

Stabbing rampages of strangers in a public place are a rare occurrence and one typically reserved for family homicides inside a home. Since 2006, 11 of the 13 mass stabbings where four or more people were killed involved slain family members or acquaintances, according to a USA TODAY database of mass killings. The other two were robberies.

Acting out violent fantasies, such as those Quick allegedly confessed to investigators, is also rare in mass attacks – and more troubling, said Louis Schlesinger, a professor of forensic psychology at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York. Most mass attacks are "reactionary," where assailants react to something that occurred to them, such as being fired from a job or bullied at school, he said.

Crimes based on violent fantasies are often sexually motivated, such as sexual assaults or murders involving sexual activity, not knife attacks on strangers, Schlesinger said.

"If it's something that's been in him for many years, it's a really bad sign," he said. "It's a much deeper problem."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... g/2071913/
barracuda

Postby 82_28 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:39 pm

operator kos wrote:In this thread I pointed out the absurd illogicality of gun control. In response I have been called an asshole who only hasn't gone on a mass killing spree himself because I'm too incompetent with firearms. Glad to see there's still such a high intellectual bar amongst the anti-gun crowd.

I don't begrudge gun owners and their "rights". I just don't think the enshrining of guns is the way to go because really, end of day, guns are stupid and ideally should not exist in and of self protection because no human should harm another. I mean, what the fuck did they do before gun powder? The invention of "firearms" was a pandora's box because it existentially, as an invention, puts our lives into conflict with easily ending them in ways unforeseen. The onus is on you as a gun "owner", not those who wish to not have them floating around anywhere in the first place. I really take no political position in this, because I know dozens of "responsible" gun owners. I just hate them -- the guns that is and would prefer to live on a planet where there wasn't such aptitude for mass destruction, misery and wanton violence done upon our souls and the only thing that is easier to kill someone is having a gun.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Elihu » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:27 pm

IanEye wrote:

sorry. eye trust you ; )
But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
Elihu

Postby DrEvil » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:31 pm

operator kos wrote:
DrEvil wrote:Would be "interesting" to know the results if that pencil/knife had been a semi-automatic rifle. :wallhead:

Well, I own a semi-automatic rifle myself, and yet, amazingly enough, I've managed to never shoot anybody with it. Don't hurt your head there.

That makes perfect sense. The fact that you own a semi-automatic rifle and haven't shot anybody obviously means that nobody else will either. Ever.

And don't worry about my head. I'm only trying to put myself in a frame of mind where your logic makes sense.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby operator kos » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 pm

DrEvil wrote:
operator kos wrote:
DrEvil wrote:Would be "interesting" to know the results if that pencil/knife had been a semi-automatic rifle. :wallhead:

Well, I own a semi-automatic rifle myself, and yet, amazingly enough, I've managed to never shoot anybody with it. Don't hurt your head there.

That makes perfect sense. The fact that you own a semi-automatic rifle and haven't shot anybody obviously means that nobody else will either. Ever.

And don't worry about my head. I'm only trying to put myself in a frame of mind where your logic makes sense.

Americans have shot a lot of people with rifles. Almost without exception, the Americans holding those rifles have been soldiers, and the people they shot had the misfortune of being in the way of corporate profits. I live in a country where people are always expendable for the expansion of Empire, and where the federal government claims the authority to kidnap anyone and torture them to death in secret. But yes, by all means, let's make sure they're the only ones with rifles. Let's all give up any defense or deterrent because of the irrational hysteria that the liberal wing of the Establishment has drummed up. And before I hear "hurr durr, yer guns are never gonna stop the mighty military,".... tell that to Afghanistan where people with improvised explosives and 50-year-old AK's are beating the most powerful military the world has ever known. I find it unlikely that a real civil war would ever break out in America, but widespread chaos after the system collapses under the weight of its own corruption is something that I do see as a high likelihood in my own lifetime. So I'm going to keep my guns, whether you're scared of them or not.
operator kos

Postby justdrew » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:11 pm

well, you'll be glad to know no one's serious about taking guns away. Why they should be treated differently than cars escapes me though.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

my favorite skynyrd tune is "that smell"

Postby IanEye » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 pm

Elihu wrote:
IanEye wrote:

sorry. eye trust you ; )

"a plague on your lack of a house."

:wallhead: - :yay

IanEye

every body knows my number

Postby IanEye » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:50 pm

operator kos wrote:Glad to see there's still such a high intellectual bar amongst the anti-gun crowd.

dude.

my avatar has been the image of a dead man firing a pistol for months now.

don't ever refer to me as "the anti-gun crowd" again.

who feels it, knows it.

IanEye

Postby 82_28 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:50 pm

I was thinking today while at work that the very existence of EVEN ONE GUN lone on planet Earth, takes away all of our agreed upon rights. Nobody should have the ability to kill me or you. The crux of the issue is you gun people. As for myself I will never again touch one.

The heart of the matter is technocratic and media control. Yes, the guns and the industry exists and it's just a drop in the bucket compared to .mil. We need to worry about the society we are living in when we are arguing about firearms. There is no argument, all they inflict is death. So what's the point, gun people. Seriously what's the point.

When the old and fabled Iraq "War" began I was called a "gun dropper" numerous times. When are you characters gonna get it? Guns need to be gone. Ain't happening and I am well aware. But you're the problem. Go play paintball or something. There is no reason to have a readimade device on you that just kills when you will it and then immortalize it as some sort of freedom.

You ARE taking freedoms away from the rest of us because you see the necessity in something that is not necessary. And not one bit, is it.
82_28

Re: every body knows my number

Postby 82_28 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:52 pm

IanEye wrote:
operator kos wrote:Glad to see there's still such a high intellectual bar amongst the anti-gun crowd.

dude.

my avatar has been the image of a dead man firing a pistol for months now.

don't ever refer to me as "the anti-gun crowd" again.

who feels it, knows it.

If it makes anybody feel better that avatar of mine is a poor coyote ensnared within a net.
82_28

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion