Re: Nuclear Meltdown Watch
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:06 am
Japanese Nuclear Plant May Have Been Leaking for Two Years
By HIROKO TABUCHI
Published: July 10, 2013
TOKYO — The stricken nuclear power plant at Fukushima has probably been leaking contaminated water into the ocean for two years, ever since an earthquake and tsunami badly damaged the plant, Japan’s chief nuclear regulator said on Wednesday.
Related
Masao Yoshida, Nuclear Engineer and Chief at Fukushima Plant, Dies at 58 (July 10, 2013)
Connect With Us on Twitter
Follow @nytimesworld for international breaking news and headlines.
Twitter List: Reporters and Editors
In unusually candid comments, Shunichi Tanaka, the head of the Nuclear Regulation Authority, also said that neither his staff nor the plant’s operator knew exactly where the leaks were coming from, or how to stop them.
The operator, Tokyo Electric Power, has reported spikes in the amounts of radioactive cesium, tritium and strontium detected in groundwater at the plant, adding urgency to the task of sealing any leaks. Radioactive cesium and strontium, especially, are known to raise risks of cancer in humans.
Mr. Tanaka’s comments bring into sharp relief the precariousness of the cleanup at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, where core meltdowns occurred at three of the six reactors. A critical problem has been the groundwater that has been pouring into the basements of the damaged reactor buildings and becoming contaminated. Workers have been pumping the water out to be stored in dozens of tanks at the plant, but have not stopped the inflow.
Until recently, Tokyo Electric, known as Tepco, flatly denied that any of that water was leaking into the ocean, even though various independent studies of radiation levels in the nearby ocean have suggested otherwise. In recent days, Tepco has retreated to saying that it was not sure whether there was a leak into the ocean.
Mr. Tanaka said that the evidence was overwhelming.
“We’ve seen for a fact that levels of radioactivity in the seawater remain high, and contamination continues — I don’t think anyone can deny that,” he said Wednesday at a briefing after a meeting of the authority’s top regulators. “We must take action as soon as possible.
“That said, considering the state of the plant, it’s difficult to find a solution today or tomorrow,” he added. “That’s probably not satisfactory to many of you. But that’s the reality we face after an accident like this.”
By acknowledging that the Fukushima Daiichi plant is not watertight, Mr. Tanaka confirmed suspicions held by experts that the plant has continued to leak radiation into the ocean long after the huge initial releases seen in the disaster’s early days.
A study released earlier this year by Jota Kanda, an oceanographer at the Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, examined Tepco’s own readings of radiation levels in the waters near the plant’s oceanfront site. The study concluded that it was highly likely the plant was leaking.
“If there was no leak, we would see far lower levels of radioactive cesium in waters off the plant,” Professor Kanda said last month. He said that natural tidal flushing of the water in the plant’s harbor should have dispersed the initially released radioactivity by now, with a far more rapid drop in radiation levels than had been detected.
“This suggests that water might be leaking out from the plant through damaged pipes or drains, or other routes Tepco doesn’t know about,” he said. “We need to find out where exactly these leaks are, and plug them.”
Unexplained spikes since May in cesium levels detected in groundwater, coupled with higher strontium and tritium readings off shore, have added to the urgency.
Tepco said Wednesday that it was not sure that any contaminated water was reaching the ocean. It has said in the past that the stricken plant was now having “no significant impact” on the marine environment.
“We can’t say anything for sure,” Noriyuki Imaizumi, a Tepco spokesman, said Wednesday at a news conference in Tokyo. “But we aren’t just sitting back. We are first analyzing why there have been high radiation measurements in recent weeks.”
The struggle to seal the plant has raised questions about the government’s push to restart Japan’s other nuclear power stations, which were shut down in the wake of the Fukushima disaster. Some critics have said that the work of certifying and reopening other plants will distract from the cleanup at Fukushima. To allay public fears, the government has promised that restarts will be authorized only for reactors that pass rigid new standards that took effect this month.
Four utilities across Japan have applied to restart a total of 10 reactors, applications that must now be assessed by the nuclear regulator with a staff of just 80 people. Tokyo Electric has said that it intends to apply to restart two of the seven reactors at a power plant on the coast of the Sea of Japan. That workload may leave the agency with few resources to devote to monitoring the messy cleanup at Fukushima.
Tepco has taken some measures in the hope of keeping contaminated groundwater away from the sea, including fortifying an underwater wall that runs along much of the shoreline at the plant site. Mr. Tanaka said it was doubtful whether those measures would be effective.
“We don’t truly know whether that will work,” Mr. Tanaka said. “Of course, we’d hope to eliminate all leaks, but in this situation, all we can hope for is to minimize the impact on the environment. If you have any better ideas, we’d like to know.”
Japan Warns of Ocean Contamination
Regulator say groundwater is likely leaking from the plant into ocean waters
By MARI IWATA and ALEXANDER MARTIN
TOKYO—Highly radioactive groundwater recently discovered in test wells at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant is likely spreading at the site and leaking into adjoining ocean waters, Japan's nuclear regulator said, raising more worries about the plant operator's efforts to clean up the disaster site.
The tests by Tokyo Electric Power Co. 9501.TO +1.21% have found a recent increase in radiation levels in wells meant to monitor water safety, with some radioactive levels around 200 times the allowed limits. Experts said the findings raise concerns of widening environmental damage but that the increased levels pose no immediate threat to public health given the location of the plant on the oceanfront and the lack of any residents living nearby.
Associated Press
A February photo shows the Fukushima Daiichi plant with some of the tanks built to store polluted water.
Tepco said that samples taken from a test well on Tuesday showed the highest levels they have recorded so far of cesium 134 and cesium 137. Both are considered health risks if consumed since they can accumulate in muscles and contribute to higher rates of cancer.
The irradiated water is believed to be leaking from the heavily damaged cores at the three reactors that were operating when a massive earthquake and tsunami struck the plant in March 2011, causing Japan's worst-ever nuclear-plant accident.
In addition, runoff rainwater entering the plant site is flowing into heavily contaminated areas, picking up nuclear debris.
Tepco said it hadn't seen any evidence that the problem was spreading beyond the plant, with no significant increase in radioactive levels at the 16 sampling points it has in waters located just off the plant.
But the Nuclear Regulation Authority, created in September 2012 in the aftermath of the Fukushima accident, said it believed the contamination was spreading.
"We strongly suspect that high concentrations of contaminated water are leaking to the ground, and spreading to the sea," the agency said on Wednesday.
Commenting on the report, agency Chairman Shunichi Tanaka also expressed concerns about the reliability of Tepco's data. "We need to consider whether we should be relying only on data provided by Tepco, and check for ourselves the level of contamination in seawater," he said at a meeting releasing the report.
A Tepco spokesman said the company had no specific response to the NRA statement or to Mr. Tanaka's remarks.
It wasn't the first time that the Nuclear Regulation Authority has criticized Tepco's cleanup operation. In April, the agency cited eight specific incidents at the plant, including two power outages and the malfunctioning of two radiation monitors. It said at the time that it would strengthen its oversight of the cleanup operation.
The new leaks are especially problematic for Tepco since it is trying to show that it has learned lessons from the Fukushima accident and is seeking approval to resume operations at part of its Kashiwazaki-Kariwa nuclear power plant in northwestern Japan, the world's largest in terms of capacity.
Health experts said it was difficult to gauge the potential broader health impact from the leaks, and stressed the importance of long-term monitoring.
"Underground water moves through layers and eventually goes to the sea. The process sometimes takes a thousand years. During the time, it will be necessary to keep monitoring," said Manabu Fukumoto, professor of Tohoku University's Medical School who is leading a study on the health effects in the nuclear accident-hit area.
"There won't be immediate impacts unless you go near the reactors. But for the longer term, radiation could cause higher rates of cancer," said Minoru Takata, director of the Radiation Biology Center at Kyoto University.
The waters around the plant have been off-limits to any fishing since the accident and any cesium discharged would in any event be diluted. A research group study released last fall found that some types of fish caught offshore had elevated levels of radiation, although Japanese government data have shown that most fish caught nearby have relatively low levels of contamination.
Tepco said that the contamination level at the test well, about 25 meters from the ocean waters that adjoin the plant, was more than 100 times higher than detected four days earlier. The company was unable to explain the reasons for the sudden sharp rise, a spokesman said.
According to Tepco, the level of cesium 134 was 11,000 becquerels per liter. The measurement, based on the amount of radioactive energy that is being released, compared with an environmental limit of just 60 becquerels per liter. Cesium 134 has a half-life of two years, meaning it will lose half of its radioactivity in that period. The level of cesium 137, with a half-life of 30 years, was 22,000 becquerels per liter, more than 240 times higher than the safety standard.
Those figures may not fully reflect what is going on at the plant, a former nuclear plant designer said Wednesday.
Enlarge Image
"In order to collect sufficient data to assess where exactly the contaminated water is coming from, digging a couple of test wells won't do. We need to grasp the situation in its entirety," said Masashi Goto, a retired Toshiba nuclear power employee who took part in a news conference by antinuclear activists.
Contaminated water has long been a major stumbling block for the decommissioning work, which Tepco and the government say will go on for an estimated 20-30 years. A steady flow of water is needed to keep the damaged reactor cores cool enough.
To cope with it, Tepco has built a virtual city of storage tanks and now has a total capacity of 350,000 tons. But even at that level, room is running out fast, with 310,000 tons of contaminated water now stored at the site.
Tepco and government officials agree the situation isn't sustainable but have no longer-term solution to the problem.
Three months ago, the company found that at least a few dozen liters of contaminated water leaked from two underground storage pools, prompting a switch to above-ground tanks that now dot the landscape of the 3.5-square kilometer (865 acre) site.
Tepco has taken a number of measures to stop the contaminated water from entering the adjacent ocean waters. It now plans to inject chemicals designed to harden up the soil near the oceanfront to stop water from seeping out.
One partial solution is pioneering water-cleansing equipment, called an advanced liquid processing system, which has been on a test run in the site since March. In full operation, ALPS can process 750 tons a day of contaminated water. That would greatly reduce the toxicity of the water that Tepco must keep in the tanks.
The system, the first of its kind, has so far worked well, the government and Tepco have said, removing all radioactive materials from the contaminated water to undetectable levels, except for tritium, which is considered nearly impossible to separate from regular water.
Fortunately for Tepco, tritium isn't considered as harmful to health as other radioactive elements such as cesium or strontium. Tepco has said it hopes eventually to be able to discharge the cleansed water into the sea despite the presence of the tritium.
Tepco also wants to reduce the amount of water it has to process in the first place by capturing runoff from nearby areas before it can become contaminated. Currently around 400 tons a day of groundwater flows into the plant site.
But any water discharge has met with strong local opposition, especially from fishermen who say they are worried about customer perceptions if large amounts of water are dumped into water near their fishing grounds.
The recent disclosures have done little to help Tepco's reputation as it attempts to show that it has taken on a new culture of safety and can safely restart the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa plant, located in northwestern Japan.
Tepco said last week it would seek restarts of the two reactors at the plant, but it angered local officials by making the announcement without any advance consultation. Hirohiko Izumida, the governor of Niigata prefecture, where the plant is located, quickly demanded further explanations from Tepco.
Mr. Izumida, who has been skeptical of the plant's safety, hasn't said if he would approve a restart to operations there.
A Tepco spokesman said on Monday that no date had been set for submitting a restart application.







