SATC - "I Heart NY"

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

SATC - "I Heart NY"

Postby IanEye » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:55 am

Carrie arrives at Mr. Big's apartment but it is empty except for the record of Henry Mancini sitting against the wall. On the record Big has left a note that says "IF YOU EVER FEEL LONELY" behind the record is an envelope that says "IF I EVER FEEL LONELY" she opens the envelope to find a plane ticket.

The episode ends with Carrie walking back to her apartment and the quote:

"It was official, a new season had begun. Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come in to your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And, if you're very lucky...a plane ride away."

So, any ideas why this is the most "RI" of Sex and the City episodes?
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby sunny » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:35 am

I don't know IanEye. I'm a big fan of SATC, but I never once put it in the same category as RI, even for one episode.

As I recall the epi in question, Miranda has her baby, Big leaves for Napa, and Samantha catches her lover cheating.

Before Big leaves, he and Carrie plan a typical NY evening, starting out with a carriage ride through Central Park. The plan has to be abandoned when Miranda calls Carrie to tell her the baby is coming. The next day, after the baby is born, Carrie rushes to Big's apartment hoping to catch him before he leaves. Your quote is what happens next.

The epi did air after 9/11 and probably was filmed after that date as well.

"It was official, a new season had begun. Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come in to your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And, if you're very lucky...a plane ride away."

Very subtle, but could be a reference to 9/11.

This is the last epi of season 4. When season 5 opens, 9/11 has happened (within the SATC universe) and the girls only reference to it is in relation to throwing some money downtown. Oh, and it's Fleet Week and the girls go to a big party in honor of the Sailors. One of them disses NY and Carries walks away, saying "Nobody talks shit about my boyfriend", as the theme of the show is how much Carrie is in love with NY.
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:59 am

I've never watched SATC. However the girl that found us this house, (13 years ago nearly) and used to live here moved to NY after she left. To sell art and work in art galleries.

She ended up teaching in an aboriginal communtiy between Fitzroy Crossing and Halls Creek in the Kimberly (in Western Australia).

Its about as far from NY physicically and mentally and spiritually as possible. And for some reason the chic in SATC (the ads anyway) reminds me of her.

Her twin sister had precog visions of 911 while having a psychotic episode in this house too, at the start of 1999.

Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies or be who we are.

This comment so applies to the twin sister its not funny.
Joe Hillshoist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby IanEye » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:12 am

sunny wrote:I don't know IanEye. I'm a big fan of SATC, but I never once put it in the same category as RI, even for one episode.

As I recall the epi in question, Miranda has her baby, Big leaves for Napa, and Samantha catches her lover cheating.

Before Big leaves, he and Carrie plan a typical NY evening, starting out with a carriage ride through Central Park. The plan has to be abandoned when Miranda calls Carrie to tell her the baby is coming. The next day, after the baby is born, Carrie rushes to Big's apartment hoping to catch him before he leaves. Your quote is what happens next.

The epi did air after 9/11 and probably was filmed after that date as well.

This is the last epi of season 4. When season 5 opens, 9/11 has happened (within the SATC universe) and the girls only reference to it is in relation to throwing some money downtown. Oh, and it's Fleet Week and the girls go to a big party in honor of the Sailors. One of them disses NY and Carries walks away, saying "Nobody talks shit about my boyfriend", as the theme of the show is how much Carrie is in love with NY.

What makes this episode haunting for me Sunny, is the fact that it was filmed before 9/11. The episode opens and Carrie wakes up with a chill. Fall has arrived, and we the viewers are in an alternate universe where the events of 9/11 never happen. The episode is filled with the imagery of autumnal leaves and the sound of Mancini's "Moon River".

For people of a certain generation, the "Breakfast at Tiffany's" theme song will always represent JFK era "Camelot", a time when things hadn't slid completely off-axis. To see Big and Carrie doing the Twist to "Moon River" is very poignant, timeless. The final moments in the same apartment which I quote above are really quite eerie.
Carrie enters Big's apartment and it is empty, with the one wall painted blood red, her lover having taken a plane west, leaving a plane ticket behind. She leaves the apartment, steps out into the street and the leaves are falling.

Indian summer is a name given to a period of sunny, warm weather in autumn, not long before winter. Usually occurring after the first frost, Indian summer can be in late October or early November in the northern hemisphere, and late April or early May in the Southern hemisphere. It can persist for a few days or extend to a week or more.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b2/IndianSummer.jpg

Put it this way, of all the 9/11 imagery you have seen, can you think of any containing trees of autumn leaves? No, it is an alternate universe. a place where if your lover is suddenly gone from your side, all you have to do is hop on a plane and you are reunited with them. There is no trace of the aftermath of 9/11 in this post Indian Summer 2001 Manhattan because it never happened.

As you mention, season five arrives and we are back to reality with a vengeance, with all of the "Rally 'round the flag" pomp to go with it. But that one episode gives the viewer a glimpse of what life is like in some other universe. I watched it for the first time since it aired over the weekend with my Wife and it sent a chill up my spine.

Moon river - wider than a mile
I'm crossing you in style - someday
You dream maker - you heartbreaker
Wherever you're going - I'm going your way
Two drifters - off to see the world
There's such a lot of world to see

Were after the same
Rainbows end
Waiting
Just around the bend
My huckleberry friend,
Moon river - and me...

Last edited by IanEye on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
IanEye

Postby sunny » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:37 am

Very evocative IanEye-I see where you are coming from and can understand it in a whole new light, as a sort of last gasp of all that is good, an "Indian Summer" before the hard cold winter of reality arrives. Really and truly, a lovely snapshot of who we used to be.
Choose love
sunny

Postby Jeff » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:34 am

IanEye wrote:
Put it this way, of all the 9/11 imagery you have seen, can you think of any containing trees of autumn leaves? No, it is an alternate universe. a place where if your lover is suddenly gone from your side, all you have to do is hop on a plane and you are reunited with them. There is no trace of the aftermath of 9/11 in this post Indian Summer 2001 Manhattan because it never happened.

Fascinating and, as sunny said, very evocative. Another fairytale of New York. Thanks IanEye.
Jeff
Site Admin

"I Heart NY"

Postby IanEye » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:02 pm

my huckleberry friend...
IanEye

Re: SATC - "I Heart NY"

Postby norton ash » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:37 pm

Glad you bumped this I-Eye

How the hell do you do the twist to Moon River? Really slow David Lynch twist maybe... I'll look it up on youtube.

That show made a lot of women sick.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby IanEye » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:49 pm

that is one of the few episodes i can stand to watch...
IanEye

Postby Searcher08 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:03 am

IanEye wrote:that is one of the few episodes i can stand to watch...

Thanks for that - I remember seeing it long after 9/11 and being really affected by what you so eloquently describe. Was it Terrence McKenna who said that great events send out a 'bow wave' before them which can be intuited at some deep non-verbal level... when I think of that episode, it is like a view towards a shore on a tranquil day.
The scene is idyllic, yet unseen yet perceived somehow in the distance behind the boat is a... tsunami
Searcher08

Postby justdrew » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:02 pm

norton ash wrote:Glad you bumped this I-Eye

How the hell do you do the twist to Moon River? Really slow David Lynch twist maybe... I'll look it up on youtube.

That show made a lot of women sick.

maybe it was the cha cha refrain version...
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:30 pm

September 11th came right after the "Sex and the City" marketing began in Germany, where I'd lived since 1989. I had never heard of the show. Seeing the street posters and still weighing the straight jihadi narrative of the events as a serious possibility, I thought: Yeah, that's what they wanted to bomb, Sex and the City.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Project Willow » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:39 pm

Riddler, have I missed some personal narrative? When did doubt creep in and what, if anything, nudged it?

I'll be thinking of you and the others in NY, are you participating in any events?

I will be giving all forms of mass media a wide berth, and hopefully enjoying some diversionary croquet and catch at a public park.

What are other folks doing?
Project Willow

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:16 am

Project Willow wrote:Riddler, have I missed some personal narrative? When did doubt creep in and what, if anything, nudged it?

I'll be thinking of you and the others in NY, are you participating in any events?

I will be giving all forms of mass media a wide berth, and hopefully enjoying some diversionary croquet and catch at a public park.

What are other folks doing?

It's a long story. My very first thought, seeing the Towers on fire on live TV, was that this was a Reichstag Fire event, as, in fact, I had been expecting since the selection of the Bush. In fact, I had been anticipating since the 1980s that the day would come when the US would have to stage a war on itself to justify the endless global war.

But damn it, it was in New York, something obvious that I should have also expected! And that hurt, and I was worried about my family. Other thoughts in those moments were that there will be war and war and war, and a total surveillance state, and much every-day paranoia, and a financial crash. At least 1000 foreign brown people would have to die for every person killed in this attack, because Americans were going to go bug nuts about it and not want to know anything about the even worse sufferings that their government had perpetrated on others. In general they would be angry, they would desire revenge on the foreigners, and they would never question their own goodness.

I briefly got my brother on the phone, when it was hard to reach anyone, and amid the worry about various people (who all turned out to be fine) I told him to believe nothing he hears and only half of what he sees. Sudden world-changing events of this kind tend to have murky backgrounds and uncertain beneficiaries. He anticipated the style of debunker rhetoric: "What, are you telling me George Bush crashed planes into the Towers to declare martial law?!"

After the Towers fell, I was just in shock, and didn't question, just watched and watched. I told myself I'd just seen 10,000 people die before my eyes. We had all seen it. Two or four billion people, together, had just watched at least 10,000 people murdered on live TV. I frantically tried to reach everyone I knew, and everything was busy. (The first call that connected was to Michigan.)

I kept a journal starting a couple of hours after the collapse, which can be read here:
http://www.911truth.org/osamas/diary.html

Then I got pretty nearly the drunkest of my life.

Then I spent several days believing it had to be the official story, watching a lot of TV and wanting to kill Taliban personally. Everything was kind of doom and doom, and I paid a lot of visits to friends to tell them they were precious to me. Also, I was hoping that a right-wing militarist regime imposed by election fraud and sporting a long criminal pedigree could restrain itself from the genocidal aggression and world war that the attack seemed designed to inspire.

Then on Saturday, I heard about the Magic Passport, and poof! The spell was broken.

Then I did a lot of research, determined to support the official narrative, given my natural tendency to see a covert operation (as based in history), and to be skeptical of all claims.

Nevertheless, as the weeks went by, the preponderance of the available evidence as I saw it spoke a certain way...

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Project Willow » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:34 am

What a fascinating response, but I don't mean to sound insensitive. I am glad you have made your diary accessible. I haven't looked at mine from that time period in while.

JR wrote:A takeover of the Zeitgeist.
A rape of all our thoughts.
An invasion of every mind.

I remember my tremendous fear, and of course a feeling that everything had changed, but bound up in those two was the thought that the same general network of criminals who had made me into and used me as a slave had now perpetrated a version of the same trauma and conditioning on the mass public. So to some degree I was no longer alone, but then there was no more buffer against or limit on how far they would go.

I think it was 3 months later I blurted out to an acquaintance, "Our government did that you know."

Somewhere around here is a thread where we shared how we came to be skeptics of the official version, maybe I'll bump that, if it hasn't been already.
Project Willow

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News