'I Met Paul Wolfowitz Last Night In A Seafood Restaurant'

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby chlamor » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:51 pm

Just a little story about a night out with friends and a chance encounter with a war criminal. This story is interesting and surreal for several personal reasons but I feel the need to post this here as a certain poster- IanEye- has used this very real picture of Wolfie and myself, as I'm pranking him, in a disgusting and dishonest attempt at character assassination. In any case here's the tale and yes there are several witnesses from our group that dined at Phillip's that evening.

Here's the story with pics:

First let me provide a little personal background and hopefully some context to the specific event so as to relate in some way how utterly surreal this coincidental meeting was.

When I was much younger my first mentor in political affairs was my cousin Tom who was a hard-ass Union man who instilled in me the simple concept "Read,read,read!"

One day in March(?) 1992 I was over at cousin Tom's house drinking coffee and he was as usual buried in the paper. Agitated he said, "Make no mistake about it Mike these fuckers want to rule the world" and he threw the paper in front of me and tapped the page at where I was to read.

You can find the article here:
http://www.yale.edu/strattech/92dpg.html

There was this small picture of this guy next to the article. The guy's name was Paul Wolfowitz. The article was the blueprint for what we now know as the neocon master plan for global domination- "Rebuilding America's Defenses: Strategy, Forces and Resources for a New Century."

Shortly after this incident I saw for the first time the movie "Being There" and I couldn't help but be taken in by some similarity between Wolfowitz and Chauncy Gardener and the thought of the black suits behind the scene. It really began to inspire deeper investigations when I saw a picture of Wolfowitz as the sole white guy sitting on the floor with some Indonesian bigwigs during a meal. For some reason this image and some deeper political curiosity led me on a path that continues to this day.

That short version may provide some personal background and if possible, and it isn't, the next few lines will provide some context.

Megan, IP, Tin, Keith and myself came together for Saturday's rally. We walked over towards the starting point and were immediately channeled into a very well-organized and quite hostile group of ex-vets many of whom were clearly already toasted and many who were quite batshit damaged and frothing. These people were sent there. There is no question about this.

Once we passed through this line we entered into the open area where folks were gathering to head to the Pentagon. We passed some moments there in various conversations and prepared to march. The march began and as we moved across the first bridge we encountered more pro-war wing nuts who were shouting towards us rather impossible to hear words of support (heh). When we made it to where the talks were to be given we stayed up on top of the bridge and moved with the students who were to make an effort to cross to the grounds of the Pentagon while the bulk of the marchers went down to the parking lot. The situation was tense and the rest of this story can be read at some of the other posts in the forum. Ultimately the situation did not turn into the very ugly scene it seemed was upon us.

Fast forward to Sunday early afternoon sunny and brilliant. We decided to head towards the White House to lend support to the encampment there but found no encampment except for the one that has been there since 1981 by a woman who's name eludes me at the moment. She has been there everyday for 26 straight years now.

Megan and Tin decided that they wanted to get a shot of the PI banner in front of the White House and stretched out the banner for the shoot. The photos turned out brilliant. I decided I wanted to get a shot of this banner in front of the White House to send to my mother and brother.

So Keith and I donned our "V" masks and each held an end. At this point I just began an unrehearsed rant upon the US Military Empire and some guy came up with an earhorn and a notebook pretending to be deaf but wanting to document what I was saying. This was outre political theatre with players who never could've known the time or place of their next showing. A small crowd gathered and people began to take some photos. What happened next only added to the impromptu surrealism as a woman came in ranting about how we were the problem and that we were causing the US to lose the War. There is more to this but I will only add that she was sobbing and extremely vociferous bringing the policeman over who said to me "I thought you were only going to get a picture" and I said that "We would roll up the banner now." Others would give a better description of the woman and how this played out my mind was involved elsewhere.

Afterwards we all split up with Keith and Tin getting some pics, Megan and Rusty (IP) walking mega miles around The Mall/Smithsonian and I biking around and heading back to the hotel. We met up in the early evening at the hotel and contemplated our dinner options. Not knowing that a meeting with Paul Wolfowitz was just a kiss away.

After Tinoire's radio interview we headed down the stairs and awaited the cab. Disclaimer- I hate taking cabs and have ever ordered one (purity alert) but Tinoire's foot was injured and so we hailed one and the 5 of us got in. Guess what folks, yours truly got to ride on Miss Monkey's lap. I encouraged the cabbie to hit bumps all along the way.

We, meaning Tinoire (LOL!!!), decided to go get crab cakes at an old Baltimore seafood hotspot named Phillips Seafood which now has an operation on the DC waterfront. So we enter the restaurant and get on the wait list for the table. The atmosphere in the place is very loose and the breakdown here is 70% black and a mixed bag of whatever else. I think that's accurate correct me I'm wrong someone. We decide to, quite naturally, head up to the bar while we wait.

When we get to the stools in front of the bar I unload my backpack take off scarf etc. and look into what they have on draft. As I turn back out towards the eating room/area I see this guy walking towards me and immediately!!! Now here it is I think IP replied "That's Paul Wolfowitz" or some such comment. I didn't hear this and simply zoned in on this figure who's career I had noticed and observed for years. My pulse must have been flying. Who knew?

So in a second he's passing right next to my right shoulder and I directly and with animation say "Paul. Paul Wolfowitz from Ithaca. Hi I'm Michael. I'm from Ithaca too. You know you're quite a luminary." And at this point I am shaking his right hand even if he doesn't know it. He is smiling in a sort of off-guard way but there is no tension. I continue: "Paul you were born and raised in Ithaca and you're father still lives there." He adds, "My father's dead now." I quickly, instantaneously check my guard 'he is a war criminal he will get nothing' and move on. I then go into some small banter and request for some pics which Tin takes and then she gets a little photo-op with Wolfie as well. After this dissipates he is moving to the seafood buffet area but is really not irked or disconcerted in some ways almost seemed naively okay with everything at the moment. So I shake his hand again and he asks my name again as well as last name and I say to him "Paul, Free Palestine... Free Palestine RIGHT Paul?!

Paul sat amongst War Vets part of the contingent that organized the counter-protests. No security or secret service. Just a night out.

He smiles and I release his hand. He goes to get his food.

It's a small world you don't have to pay attention
It's the reservation
The news don't give it a mention

I had another discussion with he and a few others at their table but for now that is all.

You can link to the original thread here:
http://www.progressiveindependent.com/d ... c_id=63796
[/quote]
Liberal thy name is hypocrisy. What's new?
chlamor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Foote Hertz » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:31 pm

I'd love to hear that line crooned à la Frank Sinatra or der Bingle. :D
Foote Hertz

Postby 8bitagent » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:49 pm

Sad thing is, these elites arent aware of the bad they do. Rockefeller, Kissinger, Wolfowitz, Bush, ect. They seem to be clueless that people have an ill opinion of them. The thing with the post Trotsky "neoconservative" mindset is they see themselves as the anti fascists, the ones helping impoverished nations from the grip of tyranny.

I shouldn't even call them elites; they're really just puppets.

Anyways, interesting story. Have you seen Wolfowitz's creepy little speech at West Point a couple months before 9/11?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcxI5wpDueE
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Wilbur Whatley » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:31 am

[Oh never mind. But it was deliciously contemptuous.]
Wilbur Whatley

Postby vigilant » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:56 am

I'm shocked that the man would walk around in public without armed guards myself...
The whole world is a stage...will somebody turn the lights on please?....I have to go bang my head against the wall for a while and assimilate....
vigilant

Postby OP ED » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:42 am

Wilbur Whatley wrote:[Oh never mind. But it was deliciously contemptuous.]

yes it was. even for someone talking to chlamor.

(i saw you)
OP ED

Re: 'I Met Paul Wolfowitz Last Night In A Seafood Restaurant

Postby IanEye » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:30 pm

chlamor wrote:Just a little story about a night out with friends and a chance encounter with a war criminal. This story is interesting and surreal for several personal reasons but I feel the need to post this here as a certain poster- IanEye- has used this very real picture of Wolfie and myself, as I'm pranking him, in a disgusting and dishonest attempt at character assassination. In any case here's the tale and yes there are several witnesses from our group that dined at Phillip's that evening.

Here's the story with pics:

This is a wonderful anecdote that I am more than willing to take at face value for two reasons:

It is simply a great story.

In its own way it perfectly illustrates how many people approach the RI discussion Board by taking on a persona and their motivations for giving said persona a specific ‘face’.
- - -

Somewhere out in the world there is a guy named Mike who feels very passionately about social causes. He spends much of what little free time he has to advocate for the needy and protest those destructive forces that do great damage to our society.
When Fate steps in to give Mike a face to face meeting with one of these destructive forces, (in this case, Wolfowitz) Mike doesn’t hesitate to confront this person and give this individual a piece of his mind.

However, he isn’t rude about it. Mike doesn’t don his ‘V mask’ and grab the nearest set of shrimp kabobs and impale Mr. Wolfowitz, however much he might want to. Mike doesn’t call Mr. Wolfowitz a ‘pro big business scumbag’ or a ‘twit’, Mike simply conveys to Mr. Wolfowitz his displeasure at said person’s lifetime of NeoCon activity in a civil manner befitting his surroundings.

Those longtime readers of the RI Discussion Board might find Mike’s behavior in sharp contrast to chlamor’s general MO when dealing with those who displease him here at RI.

The main reason why is obvious. ‘chlamor’ is a persona that Mike dons when he decides to participate here on the Rigorous Intuition discussion board. But why does the real person Mike need to make his persona ‘chlamor’ so caustic? Does the persona serve as a pressure valve?

Perhaps there are a number of Capitalists that Mike encounters on a day to day basis that he would like to drive a skewer into or tell them to ‘fuck off’, but for a variety of reasons, he can’t. So, the caustic chlamor persona is cathartic for Mike.

None of this would be very troubling if the main function of the chlamor persona was to hang around the lounge and rag on people’s musical tastes. But a distinct part of the chlamor persona is the promotion of social causes. Indeed, chlamor finds great thought provoking articles and brings them back here and cuts and pastes them into topics. Chlamor also makes baseless blanket statements about people he doesn’t even know:

chlamor wrote:I do enjoy watching the smarmy apologists for the financiers of global plunder as they squirm with the decline of the Hollow Empire. You are one of those.

Actually, I am not. And neither is my persona, IanEye.

I am merely one of many personas that inhabit this Discussion Board.

And I put it to the Board: of all the individuals who inhabit personas here at RI, does one get the feeling that any of us in our real lives are even close to being as odious an individual as Paul Wolfowitz?

Mike is courteous to Paul Wolfowitz, who he obviously disagrees with.

To those who have tangled with chlamor here in the past, I will leave it to you to relate whether you felt chlamor treated you with equal courteousness.

- - -

a modest proposal

Perhaps Mike could create another persona for when he is just feeling nasty and needs to vent.

Chlamor could stay the cool guy who finds great links and brings them here and tirelessly advocates for social activism.

And the other persona?

Well, do you remember that Star Trek episode, ‘Mirror, Mirror’ where the Enterprise encounters an alternate dimension where Spock is an evil asshole with a goatee?

Perhaps when Mike is feeling cranky he could log on as ‘bearded chlam’ and then get all pissy with people.

You're perfect - yes, it's true
But without me - you're only you
Your menstruating heart
It ain't bleedin' enough for two

Oh, by the way:

chlamor wrote:Shortly after this incident I saw for the first time the movie "Being There" and I couldn't help but be taken in by some similarity between Wolfowitz and Chauncy Gardener and the thought of the black suits behind the scene.

This is straight up bullshit. Everyone knows “Being There” is about ‘Nazi assets like Klaus Barbie and NATO politics’.
http://rigorousintuition.ca/board/viewtopic.php?p=168115#168115

also,

chlamor wrote:Image

While you might think it is funny to adopt Hollywood iconography for your own devices, this is ultimately a war of attrition. You are simply providing validation for CIA/Mockingbird memes in Pop Culture.
http://rigorousintuition.ca/board/viewtopic.php?p=90362#90362

Thanks for reading everybody!
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Asta » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:18 pm

Not trying to antagonize, but why didn't Chlamor trot this story out 2 years earlier?

Just asking.
Asta

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:29 pm

He did didn't he?

(BTW Thoughtful and interesting post Ianeye).
Joe Hillshoist

Postby chlamor » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:39 pm

Joe Hillshoist wrote:He did didn't he?

But the fact of the matter is that IanEye knows nothing about the person they claim to know about.
chlamor

Re: 'I Met Paul Wolfowitz Last Night In A Seafood Restaurant

Postby chlamor » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Mike is courteous to Paul Wolfowitz, who he obviously disagrees with.

Completely false. Obviously you weren't there.

Did you get the scoop on my encounter with Maurice Hinchey- another sycophant for Empire- or the arrest at the Pentagon?

Do tell.

You really don't know what you are talking about. Feel free to visit. No need for second hand speculation.

As far as people's internet persona people approach things differently with different people.

I guarantee you I speak out every bit as much in the day to day world on the ground than on the internet but please come visit to see for yourself. I'm quite secure in this knowledge.

Scary thought huh?

Now please stop pretending that you know anything about me or anyone else on the board and address some institutional ideas.

Silence kills.
chlamor

Postby justdrew » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:57 pm

Foote Hertz wrote:'I Met Paul Wolfowitz Last Night In A Seafood Restaurant'
I'd love to hear that line crooned à la Frank Sinatra or der Bingle. :D

I was thinking it sounded like a new line for Zevon's Werewolves of London:
I Met Paul Wolfowitz In A Seafood Restaurant Last Night
he was holding two dead fish in both his hands
he just couldn't get any loaf
ahhhh! hoooo! werewolves of london ...
ahhhh! hoooo! doin the werewolves of london again...
---
and then you've got your dick cheney walking with the queen, etc...
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:07 pm

chlamor wrote:

But the fact of the matter is that IanEye knows nothing about the person they claim to know about.

iani
In its own way it perfectly illustrates how many people approach the RI discussion Board by taking on a persona and their motivations for giving said persona a specific ‘face’.

I'm not talking about the details of Ianeye's pop psychology analysis of someone called "Mike" tho, but the general gist of the post is interesting, and I love the way Ianeye brings up masks and roles and how we use them, in real life and online.

How much of it is your RI persona and how much is "really you"?

The same thing could apply to you (or me) off this board when we interact with the everyday world. How much of the person who met Wolfowitz that day was a role? (Don't answer, just think about it.)

Ianeye knows nothing about Clamour when he posts his indepth analysis of someone called Mike, but Clamour equally knows nothing of Ianeye and so calling Ianeye a suirming, smarmy apologist for globalist arsewipes is the same thing.

Both are assumptions built out of interactions with a mask, and whatevers hidden is filled in with preconceptions and personal baggage.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby chlamor » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:22 pm

Joe Hillshoist wrote:
chlamor wrote:

iani

I'm not talking about the details of Ianeye's pop psychology analysis of someone called "Mike" tho, but the general gist of the post is interesting, and I love the way Ianeye brings up masks and roles and how we use them, in real life and online.

How much of it is your RI persona and how much is "really you"?

The same thing could apply to you (or me) off this board when we interact with the everyday world. How much of the person who met Wolfowitz that day was a role? (Don't answer, just think about it.)

Ianeye knows nothing about Clamour when he posts his indepth analysis of someone called Mike, but Clamour equally knows nothing of Ianeye and so calling Ianeye a suirming, smarmy apologist for globalist arsewipes is the same thing.

Both are assumptions built out of interactions with a mask, and whatevers hidden is filled in with preconceptions and personal baggage.

I'm pretty straightforward. I've been directly involved in confrontations with local, state and national politicians for years. In these situations they get zero deferential treatment and the dressing down they deserve.

Anything I would say say on the internet I would say (and have rather often and before I even knew of the internet) quite directly face to face and have the record to prove it. LOL.
chlamor

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:39 pm

chlamor wrote:
I'm pretty straightforward. I've been directly involved in confrontations with local, state and national politicians for years. In these situations they get zero deferential treatment and the dressing down they deserve.

Anything I would say say on the internet I would say (and have rather often and before I even knew of the internet) quite directly face to face and have the record to prove it. LOL.

I'm sure you are/do and thats a good thing. But how much of that is a mask?

Or a role you choose to play...
Joe Hillshoist

Next

Return to General Discussion