CIA chief sacked for opposing torture (water-boarding)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

CIA chief sacked for opposing torture (water-boarding)

Postby nashvillebrook » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:18 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2036182,00.html">www.timesonline.co.uk/art...82,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>The CIA’s top counter-terrorism official was fired last week because he opposed detaining Al-Qaeda suspects in secret prisons abroad, sending them to other countries for interrogation and using forms of torture such as “water boarding”, intelligence sources have claimed.<br>Robert Grenier, head of the CIA counter-terrorism centre, was relieved of his post after a year in the job. One intelligence official said he was “not quite as aggressive as he might have been” in pursuing Al-Qaeda leaders and networks.<br><br>___________________<br><br>Rigorous Intuitives -- help me out here. months ago there was a discussion of torture techniques including a really good analysis of the psychological effects of water-boarding. i can't find the threads using the search function. can anyone refresh my memory?<br><br>it seems like the point was water-boarding is used to create dependence. stockholm syndrome. blunt-object mind control.<br><br>i read this article and was reminded of the discussion. it occured to me that it's quite reasonable in terms of our military strategy not to want this (duh), b/c 'what do you do with the victims' once they are 'yours.'<br><br>my Rigorous Intuition is that Grenier wasn't/isn't so much a humanitarian as a pragmatist. <br><br>can anyone help me out with info on 'water-boarding' as a torture/mc technique? <p></p><i></i>
nashvillebrook

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Iraq