#OCCUPYWALLSTREET campaign - September 17

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: #OCCUPYWALLSTREET campaign - September 17

Postby Nordic » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:03 am

AlicetheKurious wrote:There does seem to be a dangerous fallacy, however, concerning the cause of the regimes' collapses: they were NOT caused by demonstrations. Demonstrations do not collapse regimes, nor do they cause real change. In every case, the decisive factor was massive, simultaneous labor strikes and waves of civil disobedience that literally paralyzed the economy, with the popular demonstrations serving as evidence of the people's solidarity and unity. Remember in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq, tens of millions of people around the world took to the streets to protest in the largest demonstrations in recent history, with no impact whatsoever. That is because they lacked the active ingredient: they were not accompanied by labor strikes and civil disobedience and other direct actions manifesting in a concrete way the people's will and ability to inflict real damage, real and immediate pain, if their voices are not heard by those whose job it is to serve them. BTW, I do NOT mean violence -- I am referring the the people's right to withhold their labor or otherwise refuse to collaborate with a system that has been hijacked and used against them.

:thumbsup

It's great to see you posting here again, ATK.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby 2012 Countdown » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:23 pm

Wall Street protest enters fourth day
New York police try to direct protesters marching on Wall Street Tuesday.
By John Schoen
A protest called “Occupy Wall Street” entered its fourth day Tuesday as a loosely organized group of activists converged on lower Manhattan and clashed with police.

The protest began Saturday when several thousand people gathered in front of the New York Stock Exchange holding signs saying "We must end corporate tyranny and corruption" and "Debt is slavery." By Tuesday, the crowd had dwindled to several hundred.

New York police have made a handful of arrests -- two on Saturday when protesters tried to enter a Bank of America office and six more on Monday. At least four on Monday were held for wearing masks, which is illegal for groups of two or more, police said. A video posted on YouTube Monday appears to show police arresting at least one protester.

"The elite corporate power have hijacked democracy," Alexander Penley, an international lawyer from New York, told Reuters. "The economic depression we are experiencing today has something to do with how Wall Street is run."

Demonstrators have displayed other signs including "Commodity inflation causes starvation" and "I can't afford a lobbyist."

The idea for the protest apparently originated with a Vancouver-based magazine called Adbusters, which describes itself as “a not-for-profit, reader-supported, 120,000-circulation magazine concerned about the erosion of our physical and cultural environments by commercial forces.”

In a July 13 blog post, the magazine called on readers to emulate the "Arab Spring" uprisings that began in Tahrir Square in Cairo in January. The magazine called on readers to “flood into lower Manhattan, set up tents, kitchens, peaceful barricades and occupy Wall Street for a few months.” The purpose of the protest, according to the post, is to end “the influence money has over our representatives in Washington.”

“It's time for DEMOCRACY NOT CORPORATOCRACY,” the post proclaimed. “We're doomed without it.”

On Tuesday, police maintained a heavy presence in the Financial District, partitioning off areas of the sidewalk and slowing pedestrian traffic in a neighborhood that typically attracts heavy tourist traffic.

The demonstrators have vowed to stay for months.

Check out some great photos of the protest here.

--

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2 ... ?GT1=43001

====

There is a pizza place there that is serving and even named a pizza after the protestors.
:fawked:
George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
2012 Countdown

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:27 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/tech_guide/2 ... prote.html

Yahoo! blames spam filter malfunction for alleged censorship of Wall Street protest emails

The revolution will not be emailed.

An overprotective spam filter for Yahoo! blocked many users from emailing messages about the website occupywallst.org, which has been promoting nonviolent protests on Wall St. against the wealthiest 1% of Americans.

Protesters complained about the snafu Tuesday through tweets, blog posts and other social media devices - and many speculated it was a conspiracy to quell the demonstrations that have taken place since Saturday.

"Yahoo is censoring links to occupywallst.org - video evidence," Adbusters Magzine tweeted.

"I've tried sending an email from Yahoo about occupywallst and I got the exact same message they show in that video (which was tweeted by Adbusters)" Evgeny Morozov tweeted. "Truly bizarre."

But a Yahoo! rep told the Daily News in an email it's a spam filter malfunction it's working to correct.

"Unfortunately, the domain 'occupywallst.org' was being caught by one of our spam filters when some users tried to send messages containing it," a spokeswoman wrote. "This was a false positive which we corrected yesterday. However, there may still be residual delay (up to 24 hours) for users trying to send emails with that phrase. Thank you to the Yahoo! Mail users who notified us about this."

Yahoo! wasn't the only email service that wasn't receptive to the link. When The News sent the email through Google's email service, it did go through - but came into a reporter's Outlook box as "possible spam."
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby 2012 Countdown » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Day 4: At least five arrested, one may be in critical condition
Posted 2011-09-20 05:01:04 UTC by OccupyWallSt

Early this morning at least five protesters were arrested by NYPD.

The first arrest was a protester who objected to the police removing a tarp that was protecting our media equipment from the rain. The police said that the tarp constituted a tent, in spite of it not being a habitat in any way. Police continued pressuring protesters with extralegal tactics, saying that a protester on a bullhorn was breaking a law. The protester refused to cease exercising his first amendment rights and was also arrested. Then the police began to indiscriminately attempt to arrest protesters, many of them unsheathed their batons, in spite of the fact that the protest remained peaceful.

The new residents of Liberty Square continued to serve as shining examples of law abiding behavior in spite of police harassment and the loose interpretation and selective enforcement of New York’s laws by the NYPD.

Please be warned that the contents of the following videos may be difficult to watch:

---

Second one doesn't want to show, but all can be seen here...
https://occupywallst.org/article/day4-arrests/
George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
2012 Countdown

Postby 2012 Countdown » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:13 pm

Carpool to #Occupy Wallstreet

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpool-t ... 52?sk=wall

---

Community
Carpool to #Occupy Wallst... · Everyone (Top Posts)
Wall
Share:PostPhoto

Find your state! Scroll down, each state has a feed, dont forget border states! Lets get up there!!
58 minutes ago · Like · Comment
Margie Clarke, Daniel A Long, Twisty Mac and 15 others like this.
View all 5 shares

Carpool to #Occupy Wallstreet AWESOME! THANKS!
15 minutes ago

Laura Lane It's sick...I've been checking all sorts of main stream media sources and they are all avoiding this subject. SELLOUTS and CORPORATE PUPPETS. I know this probably wasn't the forum for this post, I was just angry and had to type somewhere...
2 minutes ago

We got some MSNBC, CBS, and CNN (small) coverage today. Keep calling them, DEMAND COVERAGE!
2 hours ago · Like · Comment
Kelly Jean Hollen, Daniel A Long, No More Lies and 35 others like this.

Carpool to #Occupy Wallstreet ive just been calling there news tip lines...they know us trust me lol. you call and theyre like..these guys again...BUT KEEP IT UP! eventually enough people will demand theyll have to give coverage! just keep chipping away!
24 minutes ago · 1 person

Nodedog Freenote Well, Rachel hasn't said much about the occupation. I think she needs to get off MSNBC like her mentor Keith did.
23 minutes ago · 1 person

Canada HERE!!!
2 hours ago · Like · Comment
Kelly Jean Hollen, Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Kevin Friesen and 15 others like this.

Carpool to #Occupy Wallstreet i hear ya, sucks!
about an hour ago

Jane RindyMcdevitt Davis YAY CANADA---you w/be with us in SPIRIT!!:)
about an hour ago · 2 people

OKAY! Thats a little more organized! Find your state/Border states and POST! (dont forget to share this link!)
3 hours ago · Like · Comment
Jason Lacoste, Karma Haggerty Denn, Maria Del Pilar Benitez and 12 others like this.
View all 2 shares

OperationFreedom Current Targets make it simple guys:
// 1- "I need a ride, City"
// 2- "I got a car, City"
// 3- "I got donations, City"
2 hours ago · 2 people

Daniel A Long ‎1 boston
10 minutes ago

Wyoming HERE
Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Faye Dollar, April-Dawn Hensley Reinhold and 3 others like this.

Wisconsin HERE
Jacob Wischmeier, Kevin Speich, Tricia Davidson and 7 others like this.

Jackie Ray Milwaukee here!
2 hours ago

Tracy Sperka I got donations, Milwaukee
2 hours ago

Kevin Speich I have the time and a new car, i want to find others to ride w me.
16 minutes ago

West Virginia HERE
Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Faye Dollar, April-Dawn Hensley Reinhold and 6 others like this.

Robin Mahonen I have a van. Need riders. Leaving Wheeling, WV on Sunday at noon. Friend me, send me a message.
about an hour ago · 1 person

Carpool to #Occupy Wallstreet Thanks Robin, thats awesome! spread the link so we can find some riders w you in WV :D
about an hour ago

Robin Mahonen Already done. Will re-post in a few hours. FB is shutting down people making multiple posts....
45 minutes ago

Washington HERE
Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Faye Dollar, Timothy Scott Kuespert and 6 others like this.

Virginia HERE
Anna Ehrlich, Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Faye Dollar and 8 others like this.

Kasey Jones Virginia locations? I'm in southwestern VA
50 minutes ago

Dan Warren Shenendoah Valley. Maybe we should make a seperate page for each state, and link them in the comments or something.
42 minutes ago

Vermont HERE
Faye Dollar, April-Dawn Hensley Reinhold, Jarret Wolfman and 2 others like this.

Utah HERE
Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Faye Dollar, Andrew Molteni and 5 others like this.

Texas HERE
Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Faye Dollar, April-Dawn Hensley Reinhold and 6 others like this.
View all 2 shares

Ken Self Grayhound from NW, Houston to Wallstreet: https://www.greyhound.com/farefinder/step2.aspx? Austin to Wallstreet: https://www.greyhound.com/farefinder/step2.aspx? Dallas:
8 minutes ago

Ken Self Dallas: https://www.greyhound.com/farefinder/step2.aspx?
5 minutes ago

Tennesse HERE
Kathy Cannon Houston, Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Lauren Claunch and 6 others like this.

South Dakota HERE
Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Faye Dollar, Jarret Wolfman and 3 others like this.

South Carolina HERE
Chris Collins, Jeanne Leone, Maria Del Pilar Benitez and 4 others like this.

Rhode Island HERE
Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Faye Dollar, Karma Haggerty Denn and 3 others like this.
View 1 share

Carpool to #Occupy Wallstreet sounds great! keep it up!
2 hours ago

Pennsylvania HERE
Beth Ace-Dinger, Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Faye Dollar and 5 others like this.

Vidya-Baby Ramnarine Johnson Dingmans Ferry going this Saturday early AM room for 3, passing Marshalls Creek, Stroudsburg. Driving to NJ parking car and taking path train. Chip in for gas and tolls.
about a minute ago

Andrew Molteni comeon people.. lets get it together to go wednesday.. hit me up ! Reading , PA
about a minute ago

Oregon HERE
Mastah Parr, Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Andrew Molteni and 5 others like this.

Dida de la Roma will help if some has a car...
19 minutes ago

Ohio HERE
Kelly Jean Hollen, Holly McDaniel, Maria Del Pilar Benitez and 7 others like this.
View 1 share

Ethan Lee Vita Share links with friends saying you'd like to go, have them share with their friends, etc. :)
26 minutes ago

North Dakota HERE
Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Jarret Wolfman and 2 others like this.

North Caronlina HERE
Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Kolby Rutledge, Jarret Wolfman and 4 others like this.

Lisa Ann Tessener western nc, have car need 2 additional passengers to help with expenses.
41 minutes ago

New York HERE
Nesta Littlejohn, Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Jarret Wolfman and 6 others like this.

Tyler Cameron Syracuse
about an hour ago

Linda McCarthy Buffalo, looking for wheels or greyhound buddies.
8 minutes ago

New Mexico HERE
Gekko Dbeepd, Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Jarret Wolfman and 4 others like this.

New Jersey HERE
Gigi Marie, Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Teresa Patrick and 6 others like this.

Gigi Marie Joisey heah!
a few seconds ago

New Hampshire HERE
Robert Scanlon, Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Jarret Wolfman and 4 others like this.

Demi Colby Need ride from Gardiner ME, can make it to Portland, ME or Border.
3 hours ago

Rob Rolen Can offer ride from Henniker to Boston in about a week.
about an hour ago

Nevada HERE
Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Jarret Wolfman, Karma Haggerty Denn and 4 others like this.

Nebraska HERE
Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Jarret Wolfman, Karma Haggerty Denn and 2 others like this.

Carpool to #Occupy Wallstreet SO Ella whats up? Diana is ready to go lol!!
about an hour ago · 1 person

Ella Durham Yes! I've been talking to one other in Omaha that needs a ride, friend/message me.
16 minutes ago

Montana HERE
Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Karma Haggerty Denn, Loa Ben Nett and 2 others like this.

Missouri HERE
Maria Del Pilar Benitez, Karma Haggerty Denn, Sara Rules and 2 others like this.
View all 2 shares

Ethan Lee Vita http://ethanleevita.chipin.com/van-gas- ... yc-from-kc We're organizing a chipin to get a van and pick people up along the way from KC to NYC.
Expand Preview
29 minutes ago

Nina Shipman Im in wichita, I would like to go, but I cant leave until after the weekend
16 minutes ago

Mississippi HERE
Randal Haithcock, Bryton Shaw, Maria Del Pilar Benitez and 3 others like this.

Older Posts
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpool-t ... 52?sk=wall
2012 Countdown

Postby eyeno » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:34 pm

I know nothing about twitter. Where do you people go to find all this twitter stuff? And how do you find it?
eyeno

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:57 pm

eyeno wrote:I know nothing about twitter. Where do you people go to find all this twitter stuff? And how do you find it?

http://www.twitter.com :thumbsup
Wombaticus Rex

Postby 2012 Countdown » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Live Blog for #OccupyWallStreet: Day Four, Evening Edition

By: Kevin Gosztola Tuesday September 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Good evening. FDL continues to cover the latest developments related to Occupy Wall Street. Those who are unaware of what happened over the past twelve to twenty four hours, here is a quick summary:

Early in the morning, some time around 7:30 am, the NYPD came over and on a megaphone said that the occupation had 5 minutes to take down any tarps that were put up overnight to keep everyone dry as it was raining. Those at the occupation site decided to hold a group meeting to discuss what to do, whether to comply and take down the tarps. The police did not give any warnings. There was no explanation or a second and third warning that if police orders were not obeyed people would be arrested. The NYPD entered the camp and picked out individuals arbitrarily.

Protesters took the tarps and used them to cover media equipment. The police came in and seized the tarps and made some more arrests. Media equipment was seized and the livestream of the occupation came to an end. Seven people were arrested. One person’s leg was injured and was transferred to the hospital. Civil rights lawyers showed up and NYCLU also indicated support for helping the occupation defend the continuation of the encampment.

Now, let’s resume the live blog. [And, here is the Twitter list I put together with people tweeting the latest on the action.]

10:35 PM ETFDL user Cahokia has a list for more on Occupy Wall Street:

http://antibanks.takethesquare.net/
Large list of planned sept.17 activities worldwide. (mostly the planners FB page)

http://naturallyithink.blogspot.com/
Personal blog: i.e. “I will be trekking cross-country with my own tent and outdated ink-pen”. Interviews, photos.

http://leftcall.com/2011/09/17/wall-street-occupied/

Story with daily updates.

http://lupefiascopleaseoccupywallstreet.com/
Ha! Webpage asking for concert from Lupe for sept.17.

Links via: http://www.delicious.com/tag/occupywallstreet

10:30 PM ET FDL user athena1 reports:

“Speaker just got out of a meeting with the International Workers of the World and they are ON BOARD and wanting to HELP! HUGE CHEERS! They will be joining them on thursday for a global day of action. Want to know if it’s ok for a speaker from the IWW to inform the GA on local labor struggles. Want someone to stop by 12:30 PM tomorrow to talk to GA. Want to bring workers to join them in a night march with their children for all to see the solidarity. MORE HUGE CHEERS. IWW has giving them the little red songbook and the little red coloring book.
‘Can the IWW join us?’ CHEERS!!! Giant IWW banner provided.”

9:50 PM ET Occupy Cleveland action being organized

9:45 PM ET Chat for organizing an occupation in LA in solidarity with Occupy Wall Street.

8:48 PM ET How to camouflage yourself from facial recognition technology from VentureBeat.com

8:40 PM ET About 500 protesters estimated to have been at the evening’s General Assembly. The police presence is said to have dwindled. Don’t know if the mobile communications truck still parked across from the park.

8:28 PM ET Individuals arrested are not being arraigned until 1 am. Meanwhile, 20 Occu-pies are being delivered every hour until they are all released. So, if you want pizza (cause there’s a lot of pizza to eat), get down to Liberty Park.

8:26 PM ET Occupy Chicago is trying to figure out what intersection they might go set up at to show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street. If an occupation gets up and running, it will be nice for the Chicago Police Department to give the world a preview of how they might handle protests during the NATO/G8 meeting in May 2012.

8:25 PM ET Occupy Wall Street has raised more than $10,000 for food. Needs to raise funds to purchase a generator. Here’s the link for donations.

7:30 PM ET Take a deep breath. Relax. It is okay, all. The Internet has not been shut down as if San Francisco’s BART has suddenly taken over. It is back up and was down for maintenance. No evidence it has anything to do with making sure the protesters cannot communicate to the world.

Continues w/ lots of hotlinks...
http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/
2012 Countdown

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Haven't made it back, have been working for a wage too meager to mention. But the wronger I get in my initial pessimism, the more thrilling the prospects. Here's a toast and a cheer and a thank-you to those who are sticking it out. If this makes it to another Saturday, with word spreading like this, 10,000 no longer looks unrealistic.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Skunkboy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:45 am

If every man helped his neighbor, no man would be without help.

-Bruce Lee
Skunkboy

Postby Nordic » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:47 am

Pele'sDaughter wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/tech_guide/2011/09/20/2011-09-20_yahoo_blames_spam_filter_malfunction_for_alleged_censorship_of_wall_street_prote.html

Yahoo! blames spam filter malfunction for alleged censorship of Wall Street protest emails

The revolution will not be emailed.

An overprotective spam filter for Yahoo! blocked many users from emailing messages about the website occupywallst.org, which has been promoting nonviolent protests on Wall St. against the wealthiest 1% of Americans.

Protesters complained about the snafu Tuesday through tweets, blog posts and other social media devices - and many speculated it was a conspiracy to quell the demonstrations that have taken place since Saturday.

"Yahoo is censoring links to occupywallst.org - video evidence," Adbusters Magzine tweeted.

"I've tried sending an email from Yahoo about occupywallst and I got the exact same message they show in that video (which was tweeted by Adbusters)" Evgeny Morozov tweeted. "Truly bizarre."

But a Yahoo! rep told the Daily News in an email it's a spam filter malfunction it's working to correct.

"Unfortunately, the domain 'occupywallst.org' was being caught by one of our spam filters when some users tried to send messages containing it," a spokeswoman wrote. "This was a false positive which we corrected yesterday. However, there may still be residual delay (up to 24 hours) for users trying to send emails with that phrase. Thank you to the Yahoo! Mail users who notified us about this."

Yahoo! wasn't the only email service that wasn't receptive to the link. When The News sent the email through Google's email service, it did go through - but came into a reporter's Outlook box as "possible spam."

BULL. FUCKING. SHIT.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby 2012 Countdown » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:22 am

2012 Countdown

Postby crikkett » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:36 am

Wombaticus Rex wrote:
eyeno wrote:I know nothing about twitter. Where do you people go to find all this twitter stuff? And how do you find it?

http://www.twitter.com :thumbsup

You know, nobody ever says RTFM anymore.

eyeno, sign up for twitter and I'll send a list of people to follow... twitter's essentially an rss feed for cellphones. I check twitter like my husband used to check the stock tickers on CNBC before the dot-com bust. If you set it up right, it's a constant stream of info in the periphery of your day, some of it potentially useful.
crikkett

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby norton ash » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:06 am

At the same time, I'd be grateful for re-posts of useful/significant tweets in the thread, being a non-cellphone, text, or twittter person. kthxbye... is that what the youngsters say?
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:18 am

My initial expectation, based on past experience especially with the Wall Street area, was that a police clearance would be ordered of all park space at 11 pm. New York has had a strict parks curfew policy since the Tompkins Square struggles of the late 1980s. In the process, they usually break up the protest with arrests and clearances of side streets as protesters retreat. The police have not enforced park curfew, which is very interesting, and so there have been hundreds of protesters around the clock since Saturday. Yesterday there were 7 arrests. From what I hear, the cops appeared ready to try a clearance. Protesters rallied using bullhorns. The arrests were for sound violations -- it's not the worst thing when they grab the speechifiers but back off the rest -- and the rally remained. The arrested were released without charges. Today the Cablevision-owned free tabloid "AM New York" is on the attack with a lurid, ridiculous headline: "Violence Erupts at Wall Street Protest." A lot of people hold this paper on the subway, so it's a bullhorn in itself. Fuckers. But otherwise the corporate media coverage has been, if not neutral and objective, then at least not yet openly hostile. WBAI has woken up to the action and they're giving hourly coverage. It's very key now that the gathering is past the midweek point. Hope to make it down there again today or tomorrow.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion