With Love and Gratitude to Hammer of Los...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: With Love and Gratitude to Hammer of Los...

Postby Col Quisp » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:36 am

This has to be one of the most interesting threads we've seen in a while. OP ED: glad to see you again! Barracuda: Your tarot card intrigues. That connection you made to halcyon and kingfisher is brilliant. HoL: is Grant Morrison a member of RI?
Col Quisp

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby LilyPatToo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:21 pm

HoL, I've been so worried about you, but kept hesitating to intervene/intrude. So good to see this thread today. I've been in some scary places myself and, remembering how I felt then, I think a hug from someone who saw past my problems and liked me anyway would have done the most good and the least harm. So please accept a long, warm, hug-in-spirit from someone who wishes you peace and a much better tomorrow {{{HUG}}}

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby jcivil » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:37 pm

(Spoiler alert: One should never validate the delusions of an individual in psychosis. DSM IV)

Aways somewhere.

NLP for dummies or some other PRIMER will do. Lubricate your bodhimentalverbal percussance for domestic tranquility and global effect. Time line therapy, self hypnosis (Elman) all are powerful tools.

Domestic tranquillity. Calm. Up smile.

Meet me here if you like: 29° 10′ 12″ N, 78° 1′ 12″ E.

Always listening. Rishabha vein Seal 420.

Laxmi Yatra for you now. Listen up ghost.

King Mob
Stand Firm!
jcivil

Postby Laodicean » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:22 pm

^ Boils down to this, yeah? You've really got to hammer it home, with love.
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Canadian_watcher » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:26 pm

what happened to this thread? a whole number of posts are gone... those from c2w, OPED, Burnt Hill and also from Bruce Dazzling.
Where did they go? Were they split off into another thread as per Burnt Hill's suggestion?
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Yes, C_w, I split the topic.

See below...

Burnt Hill » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:06 pm wrote:^ its not the enforcement of rules , its the selective enforcement.
Which possibly contributes to the proliferation of personal attacks and name calling- "well if he can get away with saying that to me, than wait till you hear what I have to say!" happens often on such threads- and then moderation ensues.
Consider c2w?s list- why is you are an asshole unacceptable, yet you are an arse acceptable?
Are well contrived personal attacks acceptable? Reading through, yes they are.
I understand at this point moderators don't read every word posted here, I wonder why not?
Or whether- shouldn't that be a goal?
I applaud the expectation of self-moderation, but we all have different levels of acceptance.
We need consistency.
Also no need to lock a thread that has evolved into something else, perhaps split it off in to two.

be well
h o l
:sun:

Unless drew develops a robot moderator, there will always be "selective enforcement," also known as judgement, and as I indicated in my post above, our interpretation of the rules comes into play, and in every single instance, there will be posters who agree with our interpretations, and posters who disagree. That's just the nature of this business.

We (the mods) are just people with day jobs, and wives, and dogs, and groceries to shop for, and lawns to mow, and tomatoes to plant, etc. We can't be here all of the time, and we can't read every single post. It's just not feasible. This is why we ask that you alert us to potential problems via PM and/or the post-flagging function.

And taking c2w's list into consideration (as per your request), nobody has said that "you are an arse" is acceptable, unless I missed it. I certainly didn't say it.

You're asking for consistency and that's exactly what I'm trying to give you.

No personal attacks. Don't call anyone a dickhead, or an asshole, or an arse, etc. Just don't do it.

It you wish to discuss this further, please do it here in the posting guidelines forum.

Let's get this thread back on topic now.
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby Canadian_watcher » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Bruce Dazzling » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:32 pm wrote:Yes, C_w, I split the topic.

See below...

Burnt Hill » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:06 pm wrote:^ its not the enforcement of rules , its the selective enforcement.
Which possibly contributes to the proliferation of personal attacks and name calling- "well if he can get away with saying that to me, than wait till you hear what I have to say!" happens often on such threads- and then moderation ensues.
Consider c2w?s list- why is you are an asshole unacceptable, yet you are an arse acceptable?
Are well contrived personal attacks acceptable? Reading through, yes they are.
I understand at this point moderators don't read every word posted here, I wonder why not?
Or whether- shouldn't that be a goal?
I applaud the expectation of self-moderation, but we all have different levels of acceptance.
We need consistency.
Also no need to lock a thread that has evolved into something else, perhaps split it off in to two.

be well
h o l
:sun:

Unless drew develops a robot moderator, there will always be "selective enforcement," also known as judgement, and as I indicated in my post above, our interpretation of the rules comes into play, and in every single instance, there will be posters who agree with our interpretations, and posters who disagree. That's just the nature of this business.

We (the mods) are just people with day jobs, and wives, and dogs, and groceries to shop for, and lawns to mow, and tomatoes to plant, etc. We can't be here all of the time, and we can't read every single post. It's just not feasible. This is why we ask that you alert us to potential problems via PM and/or the post-flagging function.

And taking c2w's list into consideration (as per your request), nobody has said that "you are an arse" is acceptable, unless I missed it. I certainly didn't say it.

You're asking for consistency and that's exactly what I'm trying to give you.

No personal attacks. Don't call anyone a dickhead, or an asshole, or an arse, etc. Just don't do it.

It you wish to discuss this further, please do it here in the posting guidelines forum.

Let's get this thread back on topic now.

sorry but to be clear, i had NOTHING to do with the last page of posts which have now been moved, I made no suggestions, and I said nothing publicly about selective moderation. I just want that noted. I'm not in this fray at all, except for the post you just quoted.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby FourthBase » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:58 pm

How are you guys so sure that Hammer needed your sympathy?
Hammer is one of the finest poets I've ever read. Literally.
Maybe he actually had a good reason to be anxious?
And yet, people only pitied him, sent emoti-hugs.
You realize how maddening that is, right?
To be ignored, dismissed as crazy?
When you might not actually be?

(I have a desire to say much more, much worse. I will not, to give people a chance to respond.)
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Postby ShinShinKid » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:20 pm

I, for one, want to know where you've been, and now, where'd Hammer go?

Well played, God. Well played".
ShinShinKid

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby The Consul » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:16 pm

HoL;
All I can gather from your recents what might ink in this

well, Venus & Mercury are beyond one's control,
and very few ever meet Salmacius;
but if you have, no less
the light that shines therein.

nary a word escapes our cages
that still has to fly
through densities of regret
if only they were only our own

frequencies of virtual virtue
based on visions of an unknown
color just now exploding in your soul
an unbearable beauty to alone behold

& real people are hard to find
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:35 pm

That's quite a beautiful expression, Consul.

Hammer of Los, I send you my blessings.

Write once you're able.

We love you, you know.

And are saddened.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Col Quisp, Grant Morrison is a Scottish Comic Book Creator and Occultist of renown among those who find interest in such. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Morrison
Iamwhomiam

Postby LilyPatToo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Not sure why an emoticon hug and expression of concern for a fellow poster would be misconstrued as pity, but I seem to recall seeing them labeled that way here earlier, though I don’t have time or the inclination to search out the post. Just to be clear—I see HoL as a quite brilliant and very sensitive poet. I don’t pity him at all, but I’ve been concerned about him lately, given the number of cryptic posts that, to me at least, communicated emotional distress.

And having been there myself and also watched as several friends went through mental/emotional crises (with varying degrees of success in emerging from them functional), I wanted to let HoL know that he was in my thoughts. That’s not pity or any other suspect reaction—it’s simple human compassion for a fellow traveler. That's lacking in parts of this thread, I think, which is unfortunate on a board like RI where we tend toward the unconventional from the get-go.

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby Sounder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:04 pm

well said LilyPat

And Blessings to you Hammer

May Love yet win the day
Sounder

Postby Searcher08 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:16 pm

I was just wondering if anyone has been in contact with HoL or has any news?
Searcher08

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion