Fight to save female activist from Saudi Arabia execution

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby Heaven Swan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:58 am

News from "The Kingdom" i.e. an open air prison for women.
There definitely seems to be an worldwide escalation of crimes against and repression against women.

https://torontosun.com/news/world/fight ... -execution

Activist Israa al-Ghomgham has been sentenced to death, the first woman to executed in the kingdom.TWITTER

August 21, 2018

Saudi Arabia is planning to behead a 29-year-old woman because she’s a political activist.

The UK Independent reports that human rights activists are now fighting to save the life of Israa al-Ghomgham.

The desert kingdom has recently been slamming Canada for its treatment of women following the diplomatic spat between the two countries.

Ghomgham and her husband, Moussa al-Hashem, were arrested in December 2015 for organizing anti-government protests following the Arab Spring.

Life isn’t a barrel of laughs for women in Saudi Arabia. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

She was sentenced to death earlier this month.

The executions are slated for October if they are ratified by King Salman who signs off on all death penalty cases.

German human rights activist Ali Adubisi said the verdict sets a “dangerous precedent” for female activists.

A number of groups — including Amnesty International — are calling for her immediate release. Ghomgham has been jailed for three years and denied access to a lawyer.

Among her crimes? Calling for the release of political prisoners and an end to institutionalized anti-Shia discrimination.

According to Amnesty, at least 58 people are currently on death row in Saudi Arabia and the group said it ranks among the most “prolific executioners in the world.”

Since Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman took the throne last year, the country has ushered in dozens of social and economic reforms.

While women are now allowed to drive and the shrill tenor of the state’s religious police has been toned, the country still has a long way to go, the United Nations said in a report.
"When IT reigns, I’m poor.” Mario
Heaven Swan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Fight to save female activist from Saudi Arabia executio

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:37 pm

Heaven Swan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:58 am wrote:Image
Activist Israa al-Ghomgham has been sentenced to death, the first woman to executed in the kingdom.TWITTER

Seriously false. Do they have any editing process left?

The attempted statement attributed to "Twitter," presumably, is that al-Ghomgham will be the first to be executed on political grounds. This is unconfirmable, since political action is a matter of definition. I find it believable that in this society, no woman before now has ever been honored enough to be seen as a political violator, rather than a witch.

There were 157 confirmed S.A. executions in 2017, thousands over recent decades, and that would include hundreds of women executed in particular for adultery (by stoning) and witchcraft.

S.A. is tops per capita in the region but only second among nations after Iran. It makes up just 17% of all (judicial) executions in the Middle East. China conducts more such executions than the rest of the world by far, but the numbers are unknown.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/ ... ures-2017/

Amnesty International recorded at least 993 executions in 23 countries in 2017, down by 4% from 2016 (1,032 executions) and 39% from 2015 (when the organization reported 1,634 executions, the highest number since 1989).

Most executions took place in China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Pakistan – in that order.

China remained the world’s top executioner – but the true extent of the use of the death penalty in China is unknown as this data is classified as a state secret; the global figure of at least 993 excludes the thousands of executions believed to have been carried out in China.

Excluding China, 84% of all reported executions took place in just four countries – Iran, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Pakistan.

During 2017, 23 countries are known to have carried out executions – the same as 2016.

Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) resumed executions in 2017. Amnesty International did not record executions in five countries − Botswana, Indonesia, Nigeria, Sudan and Taiwan − that carried out executions in 2016.

Executions noticeably fell in Belarus (by 50%, from at least 4 to at least 2), Egypt (by 20%) Iran (by 11%), Pakistan (31%) and Saudi Arabia (5%). Executions doubled or almost doubled in Palestine (State of) from 3 in 2016 to 6 in 2017; Singapore from 4 to 8; and Somalia from 14 to 24.

In 2017, two countries – Guinea and Mongolia – abolished the death penalty in law for all crimes. Guatemala became abolitionist for ordinary crimes only. Gambia signed an international treaty committing the country not to carry out executions and to move to abolish the death penalty in law.

At the end of 2017, 106 countries (a majority of the world’s states) had abolished the death penalty in law for all crimes and 142 countries (more than two-thirds) had abolished the death penalty in law or practice.

Amnesty International recorded commutations or pardons of death sentences in 21 countries: Bangladesh, Cameroon, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mauritania, Morocco/Western Sahara, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Qatar, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Tunisia, UAE, USA and Zimbabwe.

Fifty-five exonerations of prisoners under sentence of death were recorded in six countries: China, Maldives, Nigeria, Taiwan, USA and Zambia.

Amnesty International recorded at least 2,591 death sentences in 53 countries in 2017, a significant decrease from the record-high of 3,117 recorded in 2016.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Heaven Swan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:04 am

Jack, you're saying this is fake news? This is really happening. It's all over every single news outlet. I chose the Toronto Sun because I liked their framing of it.

I do agree though that there is an appalling lack of fact-checking in much news today..
"When IT reigns, I’m poor.” Mario
Heaven Swan

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:04 pm

Heaven Swan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:04 am wrote:Jack, you're saying this is fake news? This is really happening. It's all over every single news outlet. I chose the Toronto Sun because I liked their framing of it.

I do agree though that there is an appalling lack of fact-checking in much news today..

NO. Absolutely not remotely what I said. No reason for anyone who reads what I wrote to even think this. I am appalled by the barbaric Saudi plan to judicially murder Israa al-Ghomgham. My comment, however, responded to the atrociously edited caption to the picture, which suggests that she will be the first woman to be executed in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is a serial execution machine. She will also not be the first to be executed for political reasons, even if she is the first to be so labeled. Clear enough?
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Return to General Discussion